Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 22:49

Plan: My own: clean eating
Stats: 290/139/125 Female 5'5"
BF:no clue!
Progress: 92%
Question Favorite lo-carb books

Hi, everyone...

OK, so the more I read, the more I want to know about this nifty, exciting WOL. To that end, I'm wondering if some of you well-read folks would like to suggest some good books. I don't necessarily want diet books; rather, I would be interested in good books about the low-carb lifestyle. I envision getting lots of good tips and fun facts about how we're all eating.

I have read every edition of DANDR (have all three editions) but I want more insight. Sooo, please let me know what your must-read, 4 star books are! Thanks.

(I apologize if this was already discussed ad nauseum before I came on board a couple weeks ago...)

Happy lo-carbing!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 00:55
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

It's a good question Joanie and as far as I can recall, it's never been asked before.

A few of my favourite books...

Protein Power
Protein Power Life Plan
Potatoes Not Prozac
The Schwarzbein Principle

And I'm currently reading The Sugar Addicts Complete Recovery Program by the same author as Potatoes Not Prozac and am finding it excellent.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 10:01

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care

I prefer PP books to Atkins for the additional technical info. Dr Bernstein's Diabetes solution is not just for diabetics! lots of good info there.

Also, my three favorite web sites are:

reprint of Taubes article

Rosedale speech

and

Adiposity 101
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 10:15

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Post Food for thought

I think every LCer should have a copy of Protein Power by the Eades in their library - regardless of what plan they follow. I have read a few LC books and nothing compares to PP when it comes to explaining how and why LC works like it does to improve health and well being.

If you want the mechanics behind LC it is a necessity.

Protein Power Lifeplan is another goodie. It is less about diet and weight loss than it is a guide for changing your lifestyle and making better choices.

Another eye-opening read is Udo Erasmus' "Fat that Heal Fats that Kill ".

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 11:56
Registered Member

Plan: Lutz
Stats: //
BF:
Arrow

• Ardrey, Robert, African Genesis. New York: Antheneum, 1961.
• Ardrey, Robert, The Hunting Hypothesis. New York: Atheneum, 1976.
• Bruce, Scott and Bill Crawford, Cerealizing America: The Unsweetened Story of American Breakfast Cereal. Boston & London: Faber and Faber, 1995.
• Budiansky, Stephen, The Covenant of the Wild: Why Animals Chose Domestication. New York: William Morrow & Co., Inc., 1992.
• Campbell, Ada Marie, Marjorie Porter Penfield and Ruth M. Griswold, The Experimental Study of Food. 2nd ed. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Co., 1979.
• Chaitow, Leon, Stone Age Diet. London: Optima, 1987.
• Cohen, Mark Nathan, The Food Crisis in Prehistory: Overpopulation and the Origins of Agriculture. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1977.
• Cohen, Mark Nathan, Health and the Rise of Civilization. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1993.
• Cohen, Mark Nathan and G. J. Armelagos, Paleopathology at the Origins of Agriculture. New York: Academic Press, 1984.
• Fieldhouse, Paul, Food & Nutrition: Customs & Culture. London: Croom Helm, 1986.
• Gasset, Jose Ortega y, Meditations on Hunting. New York: Charles Scribner and Sons, 1972.
• Harris, Marvin and Eric B. Ross, Food and Evolution. Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 1987.
• Harris, Marvin and Eric B. Ross, Cannibals and Kings: The Origins of Cultures. New York: Random House, 1977.
• Hunter, Beatrice Trum, The Great Nutrition Robbery. New York: Charles Scribner and Sons, 1978.
• Lee, Richard B. and Irven Devore, Man the Hunter. Chicago: Alpine Publishing Co., 1968.
• Lutz Wolfgang, Allan, Christian B. Life Without Bread: How a Low-Carbohydrate Diet Can Save Your Life, 2001.
• Shepard, Paul, The Tender Carnivore and the Sacred Game. New York: Charles Scribner and Sons, 1973.
• Spencer, Colin, The Heretic’s Feast: A History of Vegetarianism. Hanover & London: University Press of New England, 1995.
• Stefansson, Vilhjalmur, Cancer: Disease of Civilization. New York: Hill and Wang, 1960.
• Stefansson, Vilhjalmur, Hunters of the Great North. New York: Harcourt, Brace & Co., 1922.
• Stefansson, Vilhjalmur, The Fat of the Land (originally, Not By Bread Alone, 1946). New York: Macmillan, 1956.
• Voegtlin, MD, FAPC, Walter L., The Stone Age Diet. New York: Vantage Press, 1975.
• Winterhalder, Bruce and Eric Alden Smith, Hunter-Gatherer Foraging Strategies: Ethnographic and ArcheologicalAnalyses. Chicago: Univ. of Chicago Press, 1981.
• Wright, Robert, The Moral Animal: Why We Are the Way We Are: The New Science of Evolutionary Psychology. New York: Pantheon Books, 1994.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 12:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172/130/130
BF:

How about a good low carb recipe book? I haven't looked yet, but I'm sure there must be a few good ones. I'm so excited to be off induction and try some different things.
Jennie
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 13:03
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Ancelse,

Nice to see you back!

Wa'il
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 15:47

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Low Carb Cookbooks

Quote:
Originally posted by Jennie64
How about a good low carb recipe book? I haven't looked yet, but I'm sure there must be a few good ones. I'm so excited to be off induction and try some different things.
Jennie

Hi Jennie,
I'm pretty new at this too and haven't had a chance to look for low-carb cookbooks but my eyes are wide open However, my sister is doing Schwarzbein and she bought the Vegetarian cookbook and it's fabulous. I've also heard that the non-veggie version of this cookbooks is great as well. That's the first one I'm going for.

Tam
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 18:56

Plan: low carb
Stats: 136.6/129.4/119 Female 4 11
BF:
Progress: 41%

The secret to low carb success Laura Richard

excellent book after you read your main diet book of choice. i would suggest protein power.

also i would recommend the potatoes not prozac, as well.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 18:58

Plan: low carb
Stats: 136.6/129.4/119 Female 4 11
BF:
Progress: 41%

i also have a question about low carb books. i want to get the pp lifeplan book but it seems as though there are many editions out there - 2000, 2001, possibly a 2002. does it matter?
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 17:26

Plan: My own: clean eating
Stats: 290/139/125 Female 5'5"
BF:no clue!
Progress: 92%

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I have duly jotted down the titles, and will try to either find them at the library, or pony up the money for new editions. Wish I had more time to read; with a very active toddler, it's tough to curl up with a book! Maybe I can start reading them while I pedal away on the Lifecycle at the gym...