Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-08-06, 20:35

Plan: Aitkins
Stats: 181.3/181/132 Female 5 foot 2
BF:
Progress: 1%
Default Is everyone having a win today?

I am doind a low fat low carb type thing. I understand the science around it but can't stand eating all that greasy crap on Atkins. Had 1 day on Atkins and remembered why I couldn't stick to it. I feel too much like a diet victim to buy another diet book to tell me what I already know so I will give South Beach a miss.
It is amazing how effective the low carb system is. I have a shocking white bread habit that I am steadily breaking. I can now bake it for friends and family and enjoy the smell in my house without actually eating it myself.
Anyone in Perth - there is a Doctor in Glendalough called Dr Bob Tan. A lovely Singaporean chap who does a really intense, really tough no carb thing. I couldn't sustain it but if you have an event to go to or you have hit a plateau it could be the thing for you.
You go on it for a week and then try and maintain your loss the next week.
You are allowed per day - 1 egg, and 1 piece of meat (slightly larger then the size of the palm of your hand) no oil, no fat. nothing that comes out of the ground and no dairy. Obviously you need lots of vitamins and water.
The next week you eat sensibly with only 2 serves of fruit per day. You lose massive amounts of weight but it is really really tough.
I can't sustain it but the program did teach me that I lose more weight and don't feel sick if I do low fat, low or no carb and lean protein.
This probably has some name that i don't know about cause I don't read diet books.
Bye
Meg
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-08-06, 23:05
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg1969
I am doind a low fat low carb type thing. I understand the science around it but can't stand eating all that greasy crap on Atkins. Had 1 day on Atkins and remembered why I couldn't stick to it. I feel too much like a diet victim to buy another diet book to tell me what I already know so I will give South Beach a miss.
It is amazing how effective the low carb system is. I have a shocking white bread habit that I am steadily breaking. I can now bake it for friends and family and enjoy the smell in my house without actually eating it myself.
Anyone in Perth - there is a Doctor in Glendalough called Dr Bob Tan. A lovely Singaporean chap who does a really intense, really tough no carb thing. I couldn't sustain it but if you have an event to go to or you have hit a plateau it could be the thing for you.
You go on it for a week and then try and maintain your loss the next week.
You are allowed per day - 1 egg, and 1 piece of meat (slightly larger then the size of the palm of your hand) no oil, no fat. nothing that comes out of the ground and no dairy. Obviously you need lots of vitamins and water.
The next week you eat sensibly with only 2 serves of fruit per day. You lose massive amounts of weight but it is really really tough.
I can't sustain it but the program did teach me that I lose more weight and don't feel sick if I do low fat, low or no carb and lean protein.
This probably has some name that i don't know about cause I don't read diet books.
Bye
Meg

Hi Meg,

I find your post rather concerning for several reasons.

First of all, your mention of "all that greasy crap on Atkins" could be seen as offensive by many.
Have you actually read Dr Atkins' New Diet Revolution? I fail to see anything crappy about eating meat, fish, cheese, eggs and vegies.

Next, this doctor's diet that you mention is appallingly unhealthy. 1 egg and 1 small piece of meat will only give around 35g protein - nowhere near enough. Yes, you would lose "weight" on this spartan plan, but without an adequate intake of protein, much of the weight lost would be muscle.

You seem to have an unhealthy fear of fat. Did you know that fat is essential part of our diet? You don't need to coat everything you eat in fat, but a certain amount is necessary for life.
Have you ever heard the term "rabbit starvation?" The term originates from the diet of Native Americans. If their regular game was unavailable and all they could catch to eat was rabbits, they became ill. This was due to the low fat content of rabbits. As I said earlier, fat is essential to life, and without it, we get seriously ill, and will eventually die.

I'd like you to read the following link for some good information about fats: The Skinny on Fats.

Meg, I wish you nothing but good health and fast weight loss, but I really think it will help you if you do some more reading.

Roz
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-08-06, 23:40

Plan: Aitkins
Stats: 181.3/181/132 Female 5 foot 2
BF:
Progress: 1%

Roz
Thanks for your input.
Fats from cream, bacon, lamb, fried eggs etc gives me the runs. I personally can not stomach it. If it is ok with you I prefer to get my fats from olives, fish, avocados etc
How could that be seen as offensive?
I had raised the issue of Bob Tan's diet stating that I thought it was unsustainable.
Are we only allowed to post here if we agree with people who might find other opinions, experiences "offensive"?
Meg
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-09-06, 00:08
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg1969
Roz
Thanks for your input.
Fats from cream, bacon, lamb, fried eggs etc gives me the runs. I personally can not stomach it. If it is ok with you I prefer to get my fats from olives, fish, avocados etc
How could that be seen as offensive?
I had raised the issue of Bob Tan's diet stating that I thought it was unsustainable.
Are we only allowed to post here if we agree with people who might find other opinions, experiences "offensive"?
Meg

My use of the word "offensive" referred to your mention of "that greasy crap on Atkins." It sounded to me as though you were anti-Atkins without quite understanding it.
You don't have to eat cream, bacon, lamb or fried eggs on Atkins if you don't wish to. In fact, "olives, fish, avocados etc" are the sort of food one eats on Atkins Induction. So can you see why I don't understand why you refer to Atkins as "greasy crap?"

I'm actually quite happy to hear that you are eating fats. It was your reference to "low fat, low carb" that had me worried.
I know you said you personally found Dr Tan's diet to be unsustainable. But you seemed to mention it as a diet that others might like to try, saying "if you have an event to go to or you have hit a plateau it could be the thing for you." I simply could not let such a dangerous sounding diet go by without giving my opinion that it is dangerously unhealthy.

Roz
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-31-06, 06:19
Registered Member

Plan: Dr.Atkins
Stats: 160/160/140
BF:
Progress:

I am not handling low carbing too well because I've since found out that I'm dairy intolerant. I have to cut all dairy out of my diet and find this rather hard. What else can I substitute for dairy? Anyone have any ideas I'd like to hear them.
Thanks.
Karen.