Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-13-06, 13:40
Urban Jungle Denizen

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Thinking of going down under

Hi fellow LCers

I just got a job offer to spend a year in Sydney. The job itself is not that exciting, but I am very tempted by the idea of spending time in Australia, it's a dream of mine to visit there. And a whole year should allow me time to explore other (relatively) close venues (NZ, here I come...)

At the same time, I just started a new job. A little startup with major potential - and also major growing pains. I'm really debating what to do - going to Syd. is NOT a career move - but it would be an adventure. Staying here (I'm originally from the US, but living and working in Israel) can be a good career move, but involves patience and forbearance.

I'm 40 - the good side of that is I'm still young enough to DO stuff like this... the bad side is I really need to be thinking of my future...

Anyhow. I'm not asking anyone to help me make the decision, per se, but I could really use some input from anyone living there - like:

- what does an apartment in Sydney cost?
- what is considered a GOOD salary?
- is it hard to find a place that allows cats?
- I dunno, anything else that might be helpful

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-22-06, 17:53
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Katana,

I'm sorry no one has answered you - I'm not sure we have any current Sydney members.

Not being a Sydneysider, I can't help you with specific questions, but I can tell you I loved every minute of the 5 years I lived in Sydney. The harbour city really is a wonderful place, and if I were you, I would jump in with both feet.

It's hard to mention salaries without knowing what sort of work you do, because the range can vary widely. Apartments (called "flats or "units" here) can also vary dramatically in price depending on where in Sydney you live.
This site is aimed at university students, but gives the following info:
Quote:
Apartments/flats
1 bedroom $170 - $220
2 bedroom $180 - $300
House
2/3 bedrooms $250 - $400

Cost of Utilities:

Please take account of the extra cost of the use of electricity, the telephone and gas on top of your rent. The initial cost of connecting these basics are as follows:
Connection of Gas $120
Connection of Electricity $120
Connection of Telephone $50

I hope that's of some help, however limited.

Roz
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-23-06, 04:56
Urban Jungle Denizen

BF:

Thanks so much, Roz - every little bit helps!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-23-06, 05:43
Registered Member

Stats: 205/194/130 Female 163 cm, 64 inch
BF:do not want :(
Progress: 15%

Hi

To answer your salary question a bit more information is needed ie. What industry are you in? How many years experience have you had in this discipline?

Flats/Units differ widely in price, which area of Sydney will you be working in? You'll probably want to live reasonably close to where you work; I say this as if you don't you could spend hours every morning and evening travelling. Also do you like the beach or the mountains? Sydney covers both.

Australia is a great place to live. I reckon you'll love it if you decide to come here.

Good luck.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-23-06, 08:40
Urban Jungle Denizen

BF:

I know it seems like a too general question to ask, but I really want to know what is generally considered a good salary.

I've already looked into the work I'll be doing, and know that what they're offering me is quite fair.

For example, in Israel, anyone who makes over $35K (US) is considered to be making a "good" salary, but in Tel Aviv, that would be more like $50-60K.

In Tucson, where I used to live, $50-60K would also be considered pretty good, but in NYC, on the other hand, that would be barely liveable.

So I'm trying to get an idea about Sydney in that sense. If, for example, I were making US$60K, would that enable me to have a nice lifestyle and travel, or would I be paying for rent and food, and that's it?

(I think US$60K is about AU$85, more or less)

I really do appreciate your feedback - a lot

In any case, I'm heavily leaning toward coming over... It's just too tempting
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-24-06, 00:20
Registered Member

Stats: 205/194/130 Female 163 cm, 64 inch
BF:do not want :(
Progress: 15%
Smile

Hi Again

$85k is considered a good salary. Your cost of living will really depend on where you want to live, the price of a one bedroom unit in central Sydney is from $300 a week and up (some in the thousands). Whereas a one bedroom in Parramatta would be from $250 a week and in Penrith or the Blue Mountains from $130 a week.

Do you know what suburb the job is in, I could let you know the surrounding suburbs that are nice (some places are nicer than others) so you could have a look at the available accommodation .

Cheers
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-24-06, 03:56
Urban Jungle Denizen

BF:

I don't know where the job is yet - I'll find out, though