Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-01, 17:35

Plan: no ADDED carbs.....NONE?
Stats: 96/74/60 Female 151cm
BF:too much!!
Progress: 61%
Question how much sugar???????

I am confused!!!!1
When the label reads total sugars = 13 and underneath is written sugar = 5. Do you add them together or is the total sugar the total of the sugars??????
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-01, 17:41
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Emc,

This will depend on food labeling laws in Australia, which I'm not personally familiar with. Why not ask this in the Australia forum, someone might know? (Actually I'll move it there for you )

If I had to guess, I would say the larger number is total carbs, and the smaller one is the added sugar content. But it's the total that counts (minus fiber if you are following Protein Power)

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-01, 18:05

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm pretty sure Wa'il is right about this, Emc. Carbs are sugars, they are disaccharides, trisaccharides and polysaccharides. Saccharide = sugar. I have seen lables similar to the one you're describing here in canada when shopping over in Quebec (In Quebec the native language is french so things are a bit different)

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-01, 19:01

Thumbs up thanks!11

Yet again I am impressed with the speed and efficiency of this site. I saw the question in the Aust. section and thought I was going gaga!!!!!!!!! I was sure I put it in "comments and questions
"While I have you both "handy", can you help me with the posting sytem??? I can't remember which section I read something in. Is there a way of looking up the recent answers to threads or must you go to the section first?
I love this site and that I get an email to tell me that there is an answer to a posting.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-01, 19:03

Default p.s

Sorry!!!!!! an afterthought....does anyone use the chat room???
Eliz
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-01, 19:24

Plan: FatLoCity
Stats: 85/80/60
BF:
Progress: 20%

hi

i am in sydney too, we are started out at almost the exact same weight and we both want to get to the same weight!

have you found any good restaurants or healthfood stores?
Ribs and Rumps in Manly is good for the low carb fraternity,
the servings of meat are huge and some of the marinades on the meat dont have added sugar. They will give you veges instead of chips too.

i think that the total sugar count is just that, the total amout of carbs in that item. I am almost 100% sure that you dont have to add them together.

i love this site too and the support that you get is amazing. It has truely been the difference between continuing and quitting for me.

you have lost 2 kg that is fantastic! it took me 2 1/2 to lose that much. congradulations!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-01, 22:09

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: thanks!11

Quote:
Originally posted by emcqueen
Is there a way of looking up the recent answers to threads or must you go to the section first?

Emc, there is a link on the main page in the upper right hand corner marked "view new posts" This will give you all the new posts / threads since your last visit. You can also hit "view active threads" for the posts that have been replied to the most that day.

Chat gets used off and on, there's usually a message in "Daily" if there will be a specific chat session with details as to when and on what topic.

Cheers,
Nat