Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-16, 19:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

I've been reading up on spiralizers and I'd like to buy one, but I'm confused about what's really best. I was going to get one of the 3-blade types, but then read that pieces of the plastic sometimes fall off; and checked out the hand-held types but I do get stiffness in my hands sometimes, I wonder if that would be a chore. I don't have a food processor at the moment, can you effectively spiralize with those? That would be a multipurpose gadget to have then.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-16, 04:24

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I've been happy with the 3 blade Paderno, nothing broken, here is previous thread on brands. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=457882
I used the vegette at a friends...that could be a pain with stiff hands. Had to push at all times, and more waste. And no, a food processor won't spiralizer. Some types have extra shredding and slicing blades, I can do cabbage into coleslaw in mine, but have to get the vegetable into the feed tube first. You can make thin rounds with a zucchini, not much else.
Other options are the julienne peeler and mandoline...again, would likely be harder with stiff hands.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-16, 08:21

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Mine is a Brieftons. I have the stand one. As Janet mentioned, the handheld ones can be hard on older hands, because of the need for constant pressure.

In fact, I have the handheld Brieftons, too, and I think I've used it twice, for that very reason.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-16, 12:39
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You could put the noodles in a clean kitchen towel and twist it (gently) to compress them and squeeze some of the moisture out. I've done that with cauliflower and other stuff, so not sure if the noodles will hold up to that.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Apr-01-16, 09:44

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

I bought the Veggetti but soon learned it was useless for anything besides zucchini--and then it was hard on the hands to use it. I like my "desktop" model much better. I do keep it handy to remember to use it! and the more I use it, the easier it gets. Grandson (age 4) loves to help.

Nothing fancy. Zoodles for sauté and salads mostly.

About the same time, I also bought a mandolin. (with or without e??). Great for zucchini and eggplant lasagna. Haven't really been exploring the possibilities. But like anything, there's a learning curve.

Nothing like a new gadget for inspiration. And frustration!
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Apr-01-16, 13:14

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

About the same time, I also bought a mandolin. (with or without e??).

With. Without is the instrument. I have always pronounced it man doe LEEN, and then I don't forget.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-16, 10:02

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

not all of these are lowcarb, but most are or could easily be modified:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/lindsayhunt...izer#.xqm2LQv7N
  #23   ^
Old Sun, May-29-16, 08:45
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

The handle/handle of my Spirooli broke off a couple weeks ago, rendering it totally useless. It's a stress joint, too, so glue isn't an option. I just bought the Joyce Chen tool but haven't tried it out yet. It's handle/crank sit at the top and it spins around and slices noodles into a bowl at the bottom. A friend says is works just fine for her, so I need to use it soon and see how it performs. Maybe something tonight.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Jul-02-16, 05:28

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Williams Sonoma has a 20% off and free shipping for July Fourth sale on. I ordered the 3 blade Paderno as a gift to be shipped to a friend. The machine by itself, with a cookbook, either first or new edition, are all $29.95. But then all three are back-ordered to July 23rd!
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Aug-21-16, 20:16

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

I noticed these on amazon last night:

Inspiralize Everything

Inspiralized

I have no idea if these cookbooks are any good, but you could certainly look through the indexes online for ideas.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Aug-22-16, 13:41

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Veggetti is easy to clean and takes up the least amount of space. Just put the Zucchinni in one end, turn and that's it and out come the ribbons, no fuss no muss.

Last edited by Meme#1 : Mon, Aug-22-16 at 20:37.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Aug-22-16, 14:18

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

I wonder if you can use turnips with a spiralizer? They don't have too many carbs if you watch the portion size, and they could be fried up like potatoes.

I wasn't going to get one just for zucs, but now I'm intrigued -- I may borrow my friends first, though.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Aug-22-16, 14:49
Fat Blaster

Plan: FUNG/IF/LCHF
Stats: 303.2/251.8/150 Female 5ft 2in
BF:
Progress: 34%

All of your suggestions are very "inspiralational"!

You can do turnips, beets, large carrots,zucchini, cucumbers, sweet potatoes, daikon and many other veggies as well. even apples

I bought a spiralizer attachment for my Kitchenaid stand mixer and it's still in the box. I also bought two mandolines, a small one for cucumbers and a large one for cabbage to make coleslaw. They are really handy. It's zucchini season where I live now, so I will be breaking out the spiralizer next week after a visit to the farmer's market. Can't wait to try it out!
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Aug-22-16, 20:03

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

My husband got a spiralizer attachment for our kitchen aid. We have used it several times this past month or so for zuccini, but nothing else yet. I love it, though!
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Aug-26-16, 17:24

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

The Paderno spiralizer is on sale today only at Williams Sonoma for 29.99 with free shipping.