Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1006   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-18, 05:54

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

Thanks all, I'm almost halfway thru treatment. They say 95% chance of remission. Who knows what might've happened if I wasn't so health conscious.

Keto and fasting have been helping. I feel pretty OK this week. My labs were crappy but that was to be expected.
Sponsored Links
  #1007   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-18, 13:52

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

excerpts from the latest IDM / Dr. Jason Fung blog post...

UnF*** Yourself -Type 2 diabetes edition 9-18-2018

So, I’m in the public library, and I decide to check out what the CDA feels is a perfectly acceptable dessert – oh, yes, Canada’s 150 Best Diabetes Desserts – from the CDA. I randomly look at a recipe – oh, look – Lemon Lime Cookies. Scanning through the ingredients, there are 3 1/2 cups of highly refined white flour and 1 1/4 cups of sugar. This is one of Canada’s 150 Best Diabetes Desserts? Are these people completely and utterly insane? Yes, yes they are. This is the best advice from the Canadian Diabetes Association? Is the CDA trying to prevent diabetes or give us diabetes, because it is not entirely clear to me.

If the CDA is trying to prevent diabetes, then yes, these people must be utterly loco. They’re either stupid or crazy. All that sugar and flour is going to raise blood glucose more than 99% of other foods. Any fool can see that this is bad, not good. How can this possibly qualify as one of the CDAs best desserts?

and

But what about the American Diabetes Association? So, I pick up a book from the ADA – Ah – here we go – Diabetes Meal Planning Made Easy. Let’s see what they tell us about sugar and sweets.

“People with diabetes no longer have to avoid sugar and sweets” WTF? Are these people completely and criminally insane? Yes, yes, they are. Is the ADA trying to prevent type 2 diabetes, or give us diabetes, because it’s not really clear to me. It is pretty obvious to anybody with an IQ above ‘imbecile’ that eating sugar is NOT good for type 2 diabetics. Yet here is the ADA telling everybody who wants to listen that diabetics don’t need to avoid sugar, and have been saying that since 1994! Eat more sugar – it’s good for you! Thanks, ADA!
  #1008   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-18, 14:19

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

ROFL
Yup. When I had gestational diabetes and peeked at the diabetes magazines at the checkout ( grocery store) I put it back every time. Confusing all that sugar and flour. I followed DANDR recommendations instead.
  #1009   ^
Old Mon, Oct-01-18, 03:29

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Is Fasting the Fountain of Youth?

Longish CNN article this morning, mostly about Valter Longo's work. Mark Mattson too.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/01/heal...ayer/index.html

And Dr Fung shared this from MSN, via The Hollywood Reporter, "Hollywood is obsessed with this simple diet plan"

https://www.facebook.com/AdaptYourL...0637634/?type=1

Two interesting stories about Longevity and Weight loss for a hot body that have the same solution in my feed this morning

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Oct-01-18 at 04:47.
  #1010   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-18, 11:18

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

https://idmprogram.com/how-to-fast-...r-thanksgiving/

Didn't realize this was Megan Ramos until Dr. Fung mentioned his husband. Pretty good peek into the IDM program.
  #1011   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-18, 12:36

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

The CNN article is informative about IF and TRF in general. Having input from experts like Mattson and Longo lends overall credibility despite the added quote from Samantha Heller. Given that the one small study cited on TRF with 8 pre-diabetic men was inconsequential for weight, I wonder if one who is already producing ketones and around 20 grams of carbs per day or less would have the same outcome. While I'm not pre-diabetic, my daily TRF window is from 12pm to 6pm. I find it easy to maintain weight and also drop weight with a couple sessions of IF over the course of a month. This is basically the pattern I used to drop my excess weight about 5 years ago.
  #1012   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-18, 23:56

Plan: Atkins / Keto / ZC
Stats: 182/130/130 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Janet! I am still this side of the dirt, and seem to be going strong 2 years post surgery.

Walnut I was told by my oncologist that if my ovarian cancer returned, the only option was palliative care.
I got cancer despite being keto for 3-1/2 years prior to diagnosis.

I am experimenting with Zero Carb (meat, water and tea) but will likely return to keto.
  #1013   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-18, 04:49

Mintaka!
I am so happy to hear you are doing well and that you posted here again. I was racking my aging brain for your user name early in August and Mintaka never surfaced.

You contacted Dr. Barbara Gower at UAB about her study back when. The first phase was published in early August!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30137481

A Ketogenic Diet Reduces Central Obesity and Serum Insulin in Women with Ovarian or Endometrial Cancer.

AND

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30200193

Favorable Effects of a Ketogenic Diet on Physical Function, Perceived Energy, and Food Cravings in Women with Ovarian or Endometrial Cancer: A Randomized, Controlled Trial.

In other big news, Siddhartha Mukherjee to Study Effect of Diet on Cancer Drug with endometrial cancer. https://www.theguardian.com/science...on-cancer-drugs

So much "new" news...PM me your email again if you want an update on cancer and keto. See you over on the zero carb thread? http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=471960

#1014   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-18, 06:47

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
https://idmprogram.com/how-to-fast-...r-thanksgiving/

Didn't realize this was Megan Ramos until Dr. Fung mentioned his husband. Pretty good peek into the IDM program.
Quote:
try some dark chocolate (85%+ cocoa)
so far I can get by with 2 squares every other week or so.
  #1015   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-18, 07:09

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintaka

I am experimenting with Zero Carb (meat, water and tea) but will likely return to keto.

A very early zero carber, known as Bear, believed it was his low carb diet that fended off cancer for decades, since his early years in chemistry turned out to have high exposure to carcinogenic substances. His similarly exposed peers had all passed on, while he was in his senior years when he was diagnosed.

Being "this side of the dirt" with ovarian cancer is an accomplishment in itself and I think what you are doing makes a lot of sense.

None of us have magic wands that let us dodge all adverse consequences. But I am always happy to dodge any that I can.
  #1016   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-18, 10:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintaka
Hi Janet! I am still this side of the dirt, and seem to be going strong 2 years post surgery.

Walnut I was told by my oncologist that if my ovarian cancer returned, the only option was palliative care.

Thank you for sharing......

I remember in pre-op the doc telling me that if they find cancer, they will strip and clean it out. I think back and wonder why this wasnt included in my initial appointment. I wish I knew then, what I know now on the ovarian cancer front. One is I would have left my ovaries, and not follow the doctors that I reached out to as I now see I handed them a pot of free gold. No other management methods were offered. NONE.

The little that I know is that the cancer takes years and years to develop. Sometimes many more years than those 3.5 years of keto. I can see that those 3 years perhaps helped to slow the progression enough to have you be here today along with the treatment you received.

I am glad you are still this side of the dirt to share your experience. CLearly you are reaching to non-traditional methods, like keto, to keep the cancer at bay. I wish you well !!
  #1017   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-18, 06:56

New DietDoctor podcast with Dr. Joseph Antoun, CEO of company that makes Dr. Valter Longo's Fasting Mimicking Diet plan. Interesting discussion on new Fasting studies, protein amounts for middle aged vs Old Folks.

Realized after recent membership update page that podcast drops early to DD members, but here it is already:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/diet-doc...r-joseph-antoun

Business Insider on Cancer researcher who has eaten Keto for six years. Not my favorite website, author blows with the wind on health and diet, but this one is good.

A cancer researcher who's been on the keto diet for 6 years explains how he does it

https://www.businessinsider.com/ket...t-eats-2018-10?

One quote: "Harper said he doesn't even feel hungry if he skips a meal or two."

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Oct-09-18 at 14:52.
  #1018   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-18, 13:11

BF:

Nice to see more suport from one who studies the body. However as much as I thought the article was good this one thing stuck out: he doesn eat beans or apples. They have too many carbs. But he still drinks alchol. and eats a few berries. and he talks about 50 carbs a day.

Quote:
Harper also said many people might confuse going keto with having an excuse to fill up on bacon and eggs every morning, but it isn't that. A proper keto diet is about 70-80% fat, with no more than 10-15% carbs. That means most people on it try to keep their carbohydrate intake below 50 grams a day and stick to only moderate amounts of protein.

At fifty carbs a day there is room for a few beans, and 1/4-1/2 an apple. If he can limit himself to a few berries on his yogurt, then certainly a few beans on his salad is an option too. Or a few slices of apple.

This thru me for a loop---
thought this was settled already.

Quote:
Other kinesiologists think the keto diet could have dangerous effects on athletic performance, and it's tough to know what potential side effects a long-term high-fat diet might have for a healthy person, since we don't have any solid study results yet. Low-carb diets like keto can make it easy to neglect key nutrients like magnesium, calcium, and potassium found in fresh, high-carb foods like beans, bananas, and oats.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Tue, Oct-09-18 at 13:38.
  #1019   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-18, 13:48

BF:

#1020   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-18, 14:27

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Yup, probably won't be going to bananas for my potassium fix anytime soon . . . . . . . . . . . . . Matter of fact, my low carb WOE is more nutrient dense than most without resorting to fruit, with the exception of avocados.