Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 20:56
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%
Default Ultra-Metabolism Plan

I just bought a book called Ultra-Metabolism. While the plan is not strictly low carb, the first 3 weeks require that you eliminate all grains containing gluten.
The premise of the book is that many people are allergic or sensitive to certain foods (namely processed foods, food additives, dairy and eggs) and that if you eliminate them for a few weeks and then gradually add them back one at a time, you can see which ones cause you problems and then eliminate them permanatly from your diet. It says the main culprits are processed rather than whole foods, esp. wheat. It is written by a Dr. at the Canyon Ranch Spa. Has anyone else read this book?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-06, 16:32

Plan: Schwarzbein/gluten free
Stats: 148/146/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hey, I bought it, but haven't really read it all the way. I was interested in his ideas on thyroid and liver, etc. Have to go check it out some more, thanks for reminding me.......
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-18-06, 15:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!
Progress: 60%

Sounds interesting - does the book address IBS problems? migraines? interstitial cystitis?

Are whole, unprocessed grains allowed (I'm thinking about Ezekiel bread)? What do you eat the first 3 weeks?

My daughter was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis (IC) and has been on a very reduced-foods list - I find the proscribed foods really weird (for example, you can't eat an apple but you can have white sugar) - I wonder if something like this could maybe help - I do know that she is gaining a lot of weight eating this way (she's a 21-year-old Air Force airman), so something needs to change - don't know if I could pull her away from her sprites and chocolate candies.....