Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-16-08, 08:40

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Trader Joe's Steak Carne Asada: Cooking method?

So, on a whim, I bought this package of TJ's steak carne asada (it's basically a vacuum bag of raw beef (flank steak maybe?) in a marinade). I'm not sure what I was thinking--this probably needs to go on a grill, right?

I mean, technically I do have a little weber kettle grill, but it hasn't been out of its cover since last spring. There could be things living in there. And I'd have to buy charcoal; and it's not exactly grilling weather yet. I'm not sure I'm willing to go to the effort to get this stuff grilled properly. But I'm also pretty sure that my original intent (to just sear it in my cast iron pan) is going to result in a very smoky house.

Any thoughts? Anyone else used this product before?

Thanks!

Last edited by gwynne2 : Sat, Feb-16-08 at 08:42. Reason: I use the word 'really' too much. Really.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-16-08, 09:56
OWL More Veggies

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/223/175 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 40%

I bet you could broil it in the oven or even add some oil and fry it in a pan like a stir fry and then serve it over Cauliflower rice.
I like Trader Jo's stuff as they often don't contain the dreaded surgar, but check the lable first. Try their Buffalo burgers, they are awesome and good for you
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-16-08, 10:17
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

The broiler in your oven is like an upside down grill. That's what I use when I want to simulate grilling.

I just wish they didn't put soy sauce in their asada.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-16-08, 10:55

BF:

Thanks for the feedback--I will most likely try the broiler.

ETA: I was a bit worried after reading the thread, and I double-checked the label: 1gm carb per serving, 0 sugars, no form of sugar I can find hidden in the ingredients list.

They do have a new (?) product, chicken curry tenders (uncooked in a similar vacuum bag arrangement), but those do sadly contain sugar.

I hadn't seen the buffalo burgers mentioned before, will look for them next time.

Last edited by gwynne2 : Sat, Feb-16-08 at 11:10.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-08, 15:39

BF:

Follow up: I had some other things to cook today, and I remembered something my Mom had given me that has been sitting on a shelf in the laundry: a large Presto electric skillet. One of the oval-shaped ones. I think I used it to keep a pasta dish warm one Christmas, but never tried to actually cook with it. I'm not sure what this thing is made of, it's heavy and is some kind of non-stick material (gray, not black). I'm a stainless steel/cast iron fan when it comes to searing meat, and I'm not sure what made me decide to give this thing a try, but it worked beautifully. As a test run, I tried some chicken thighs I had marinated...came out perfect. So I said 'what the heck' and tried the carne asada pieces. Perfectly browned with a bit of char from the marinade. Tempted to post pics, the meat came out so pretty.

The skillet gets much hotter than I would have thought, and has more real estate than my biggest SS saute pan. Also cleans up really easy (well--I say that, but I haven't cleaned it after the asada yet. it definitely left some 'fond', and I poured some water in to deglaze & sit).

I'll definitely be using this thing in the future when I have a lot of meat to brown.

No, I don't work for Presto.