Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#166   ^
Old Sun, May-09-21, 17:01

Plan: PEdiet/OptimizedNutrition
Stats: 188/150/140 Male 5.6
BF:
Progress: 79%

A new live stream video of Maria and Craig Emmerich interviewing Dr Naiman posted on YouTube yesterday.
A fun and lively chat about insulin resistance, fasting, Protein Sparing Modified Fasting (PSMF), fasting glucose/insulin, and more.
I really like watching all the new vids as I digest and retain more and more helpful info.
Enjoy...
https://youtu.be/aeGzc8IgP-Y
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Sun, May-09-21, 19:44

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

What sorts of "Intensive Exercise" are you PE dieters doing?
  #168   ^
Old Mon, May-10-21, 03:51
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Mine is still Dr Chattergee's kitchen workout. Just about anything will work as long as you go to failure. I don't spend much time - 5-10 min while I'm cooking dinner or what not.

I don't do any cardio or sprinting, though I probably should. Maybe if I get a bike.
  #169   ^
Old Mon, May-10-21, 09:31

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
What sorts of "Intensive Exercise" are you PE dieters doing?

I no longer do any "chronic cardio" after having stopped distance running several years ago. Today, I do a HIIT routine two or three times a week. It consists of squats and arm movements while holding hand weights and depending on the number of reps and repeats, can last for about 12 or more minutes. In addition, I hike/ power walk with short sprints outdoors in an area with steep hills for anywhere from 3-5 miles depending on how much time I have. If the weather is bad, I'll substitute an exercise bike, but I get bored very quickly with that. On top of that I do a Pilates routine (now that classes have restarted) with a small group once, preferably twice a week.

Add on yard work and other activities like fishing and being outdoors exploring with grand kids and friends, it adds up while being interesting and avoiding the routine of exercise for exercise sake.
  #170   ^
Old Tue, May-11-21, 12:32

BF:

Just a quick tidbit...
To get your daily PE ratio just use Dr Naimen's PE calculator in conjunction with your nutrition tracker of choice.
Plug in your values (Protein, Fat, Carbohydrate, Fiber) and calculate.
Example of using Cronometer values with the calculator...
Attached Images
File Type: png PE Ratio.png (38.1 KB, 15 views)
  #171   ^
Old Wed, May-19-21, 22:33

Plan: Dr Ted Naiman + IF
Stats: 320/158/140 Female 5'10" age 56
BF:
Progress: 90%

Popping in again to say hi! Wow, this thread has gotten more active, how interesting! Too much to even read through. I feel badly sometimes when I remember I started this thread a while back.

I've been hanging out mostly on Twitter (Key Tones there also). I've been just maintaining weight loss lately, but I am still wanting to lose more weight of course.

On exercise:

I do HIIT cardio on my rowing machine to YouTube videos. I like some that have the large visible countdown clocks for interval timers. I also have dip bars that I use for some bodyweight rows from under them. You would laugh if you saw how weak I am, I have a hard time doing that! I am back to using my exercise ball, and I just got a yoga mat today that has poses printed on it already. I know yoga isn't the kind of exercise Dr. Naiman recommends, but it helps me with strength, especially since I am still rather heavy for being small framed (I'm tall and have a wide frame, but I have small bones and very little muscle per DEXA - I don't look heavy in pictures, it is an optical illusion, LOL). I need to mind some knee and back pain.

On recipes - I haven't purchased any recipe books, I like to make up my own (basically, turn a recipe keto then reduce the fat) and post them to twitter. A lot of people do that. You can see them if you enter this hashtag into twitter:

#thePEdiet

Dr. Naiman set the hashtag. I've noticed some people use #PEdiet instead. I think he wanted to tie it to his website address for the book.

I've found another high protein diet to look at for recipes. At least, it seems like some phases of it seems to be high protein. I haven't purchased the book (probably not going to) because it is all about food selection instead of concepts. The FB groups that go with the diet are so annoying b/c it is full of "Can I eat this" posts instead of just getting the protein vs. carbs/fat ratio correct for the day. Poor things. They are also British and talk about ingredients and products I know nothing about. I guess it is all the rage there because Kate Middleton lost weight on it and created a sensation.

Anyway, it is called the Dukan Diet, and I've been looking at Dukan bread, which I don't like much, but if I modify it, it comes out mostly like a souffle, which is pretty good. I just throw an egg together with fat free cottage cheese and fat free mozzarella with 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda (supposed to use more, but gross flavor) and bake it. Sometimes I throw in ground flax seed, sometimes I skip it. You bake it like flat buns, basically.

I don't measure any more, it might be a ratio of 1 eggs to 1/4 cup of FF cottage cheese to 1/2 cup of FF mozzarella and 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda. Sometimes I throw in 1 tablespoon of flax seed. Then bake in air fryer (i have a super, super hot Ninja that burns everything vs. my old air fryer, so I have to cook on abnormally low temps - it is the indoor smokeless grill). I cook at 300 for about 9 or 10 min, so I think it would be more like 350 degrees for a normal air fryer, not sure. The heating element in mine is too close to the food.

I picked up some langustino tails from the freezer section of Trader Joe's to make a seafood souffle with this recipe.

Last edited by Key Tones : Wed, May-19-21 at 22:43.
  #172   ^
Old Thu, May-20-21, 04:33

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Dukan Diet has been around forever (it seems to me…1975) French doctor, very controversial but his diet rules live on.

Dr Naiman has joined DietDoctor and everyone is jumping on the highER protein bandwagon. The Keto recipe sites are having a fit because all those yummy 1,000 calorie cheesecakes are out. Ted has been on video and podcasts everywhere…some very helpful recipes are from Maria Emmerichs PSMF books. She has a new book in the making, and has a new bread recipe on the site. Their very recent video interview on with Ted was great. https://youtu.be/aeGzc8IgP-Y

Bread: https://mariamindbodyhealth.com/pro...g-wonder-bread/

Marty Kendall also works closely with Ted Naiman and has a good P:E diet Recipe Book, and one for a PSMF. https://optimisingnutrition.com/blog/

Burger Bowl: https://optimisingnutrition.com/pe-...owl/#more-17857

Terrific interview with Ted and Marty: https://youtu.be/ilduzDTFUlQ

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, May-20-21 at 05:01.
  #173   ^
Old Thu, May-20-21, 13:35

Plan: Dr Ted Naiman + IF
Stats: 320/158/140 Female 5'10" age 56
BF:
Progress: 90%

Ah, yes - I did see that Dr. Naiman is working for Diet Doctor now one day per week! Also, they are going to keep their higher fat diet in tact and present higher protein as an option.

Marty Kendall - I understand Dr. Naiman likes his work, and I joined his fb group for a while. I don't think I need that level of complexity or precision, but I'm sure it is helpful for people looking for this. I've watched several YouTube interviews. I like him and what he is saying.

I like Maria Emmerich, from what I've seen so far. Her PSMF recipe book had such bad reviews, I didn't look any further, but I noticed several reviewers said her other recipe books were amazing. I was interested in her bread until I realized it would involve mixing egg whites for several minutes. There i no way I'm purchasing a stand mixer! I'm not paleo anymore, but I can't reconcile the idea that someone else is getting my egg yolks! I do a lot of fat free dairy instead (except for whey, no can do as a staple but will use it as a treat or for a specific recipe), or lean beef, lean chicken/turkey, or seafood.

I tried joining a few PSMF recipe groups on FB. I either can't stand the OCD admin or they are pushing some really crappy protein products (I ordered the worst noodles I have ever, ugh!!). I've exited all of those.

I'm too picky, LOL!!

I am still following Maria Emmerich on Twitter and YouTube though to see if she posts anything of interest.
  #174   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-21, 05:47

New updated guide on DietDoctor to the High Protein Diet.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/high-protein
  #175   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-21, 10:01

BF:

Thanks Janet! Excellent High Protein guide and really looking forward to trying some of the posted recipes.

You always post such helpful info.
  #176   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-21, 10:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPX1
Thanks Janet! Excellent High Protein guide and really looking forward to trying some of the posted recipes.

You always post such helpful info.
. Thank you. Received a newsletter today that has 145+ High Protein recipes. https://www.dietdoctor.com/high-protein/recipes
  #177   ^
Old Sat, Jun-26-21, 06:17
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Dr Ted seems to have put together a new numbers toy: a satiety per calorie calculator.

Cute to play with, but I take it with a grain of salt. Satiety is subjective. You can't assign a numerical value to it. I'd call it something more like "expected satiety" or "average satiety." As an example, how is it that I find peanut butter very satiating, but someone else can't even have it in the house because they'll shovel it down until they're sick? And in reverse, how can I barely choke down 3 eggs, but I see people eating 6-12 in one sitting? (I'd probably vomit.)

(ETA) - OH - update on the protein chips. They're AWESOME. But you have to make sure you choose the right thickness of the deli meat: 2 slices per oz is about right. I tried a different brand that was double the thickness - each oz was a slice - and it turned out like leather.

Last edited by Kristine : Sat, Jun-26-21 at 06:25.
  #178   ^
Old Sat, Jun-26-21, 18:47

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

#179   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-21, 08:04

Much of that satiety chart comes from Marty Kendall's analysis starting with the U of Sydney work. While I agree fats are not that satiating for me…almond butter is in a whole ‘ other league. This is Marty's newest post on satiety but there are others on the blog.

https://optimisingnutrition.com/ket...fat/#more-22893

Thanks for the tip on protein chips.
  #180   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-21, 05:15

High praise from Dr Michael Eades:

https://ckarchive.com/b/68ueh8h889q3

Scroll down in his newsletter to start at:

Quote:
The Protein-Leverage Hypothesis

This is another that could have been in the From the Mailbag section as I've had at least 20 people email me asking about it.

The leading proponent of the theory, at least as is practiced in overweight patients, is Ted Naiman, M.D. He's written a terrific book on his program filled with spectacular photographs of beautiful food, which you can buy here on Kindle or through his website.

His results pretty much speak for themselves. If you follow his book, I guarantee you will lose weight and get in much better shape just working out at home.

Dr. Naiman bases his program on the protein-leverage hypothesis derived by David Raubenheimer, PhD. and Stephen Simpson, PhD., researchers from Australia who worked together at Oxford. Dr. Naiman's patients have great results with his program as has he himself, as you can see from his photos. I have no doubt that substituting protein for carbohydrate will bring about weight loss and improvements in health, but I'm not so sure about the mechanism of the protein-leverage hypothesis.

In essence, what the protein-leverage hypothesis hypothesizes is that animals eat until they meet their protein requirements, then they quit. If they eat a high-carb, low-protein diet, they will consume a lot of carb calories until they finally meet their protein requirements, then they'll quit eating. Same with high fat and low protein. Animals will feed on a high-fat, low-protein diet until they hit their protein threshold, then quit. But in both cases, they will over consume either carb or fat calories trying to get enough protein.…..Continues in newsletter