Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 21:44
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketojoe
Doreen, I noticed #7:

"are intended to lower your cholesterol will inhibit the liver from converting fat to glycogen, thus decreased fat-burning" is incorrect. I do not think fat is ever converted to glycogen. It does seem that statins screw up fat metabolism in some way, as I found out the hard way.

Thanks Joe It should probably say ketones rather than glycogen ... but I'll have to re-read the whole thing to be sure. The article was written a few yrs ago, before many of the newer statin drugs were even available.

Sorry you had a bad experience .

Doreen
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-11, 10:13

Plan: C Clark 'New High Protein
Stats: 224/212/187 Male 5ft 10in
BF:
Progress:
Question Stalled?

Doreen's tips are very helpful - and encouraging! Ayone else throw any light? I'm stuck on 96-ish kg for about two - three weeks now. Made good progress in the first couple weeks (I've been doing it about 8 wks), got from 101.7 (224lbs) to 96-ish (212). Give or take a couple of hundred grams. I've cut coffee down to 1 cup a day, no alcohol... I'm doing Charles Clark's New High Protein Diet rather than Atkins, whcih I did a few years ago but lost it on maintenance. The Clark book is about lifestyle, which is v good. But I'm stuck! One thing it mght be - I'm also doing abs workouts on one of those exercise board things. Plus I cycle and do power-walking with the dog. Maybe it's muscle replacing fat? Looks better, but not where I want to be. Any ideas?
  #48   ^
Old Tue, May-01-12, 20:11
Registered Member

Plan: no
Stats: 150/98/95 Female 168
BF:
Progress:

Thank you so much Doreen for this wonderful article
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-13, 10:53
Carnivore

Plan: <50 net/day
Stats: 368/305/190 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Bump bump bump
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-13, 23:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172/151/132 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress:
Default How I Raise Ketosis as measured by Ketone sticks

I did Atkins 40 years ago. Followed by decades when I didn't use Atkins at all. I am back to Atkins diet now. Since I am older now it has been more difficult to even get to high ketosis readings. But, I did manage to find a way to get into the high purple area readings.

On the days my readings are low, the pink area, I switch to a liquid diet. I have on hand in the refrigerator 2 quart mason jars of homemade chicken broth.
Previously I made in a large slow cooker that chicken broth.

I have two airpots, a cheap one and a great quality Zojirushi, 2.2 liters each. One gets filled with the chicken broth and the other gets filled with tea sweetened with 1/4 cup of erythritol. The Zojirushi will keep the liquid steaming hot for a minimum of 12 hours, the other not so much. I place my airpots near me and my computer or wherever I am working.

The airpots keep me from visiting the kitchen, which could bend my will to stay only on liquid nourishment and the chicken broth curbs my appetite until a solid no-hunger state materializes, usually in less than a 1/2 day, and the tea keeps me from drinking espresso which I normally put 1/2 cup of half and half in. When one drinks 5 or so espressos with that much half and half, one gains weight. In fact, that is what got me in my my present state of overweight.

Sometime after the hunger is eliminated, the high ketone burning will appear on the ketone stick. After that I eat solid food or I remain on liquid. I think it is good to stay on the liquid for a while, it cleans out the body system and since I have no hunger at that point it is no problem to do. But I do not stay on liquid for too long a time.

I think it is counterproductive to waste my money and time purchasing low-carb bread and sweet desert replacement items. My goal is to stay away from thinking about food, staying out of the kitchen, and getting off of the diet because I have reached my goal.

Much luck to all of you. Please email me if you find my suggestions helpful.

Love, Susan