Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 06:58
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 144.5/144.5/127
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Is it harder to lose if you have less weight to lose?

Hi,
I've been low carbing for about 4 weeks and doing fairly well (only a few cheats here and there) but I am not losing any weight. On the plus side, I am not gaining either and am eating quite a bit but I really want to lose. I dont' have a lot to lose but it's a huge struggle. I need help, ideas to get me over the hump, so to speak. Are any of you similar to my stats and have had success? That would be very helpful. Also, I have been a chronic dieter so I know what you will say about that!

Thanks much!!
Melissa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 07:12

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

It's not 'harder' it just takes longer. Weight loss can be viewed best in percentages. If you have 100 lbs to lose then losing 10% in your first month would be 10 lbs. If you've got 10 lbs to lose then that would be 1lb. 10% is the average during the first 2 weeks. It's closer to 5% a month after that.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 07:30
Registered Member

Plan: alittle of this, and alittle of that
Stats: 162/152/125
BF:dont know
Progress: 27%
Default hi

hi,
i feel like you do. i honestly think that when you have alot to lose you see the results quicker. i was like you about a year ago, only about 145, and now i went up since last year. but i dont really have alot to lose either. the doc told me it would take months, so i am just hanging in there for now. instead of looking at weeks, i am looking at november. it helps me be more patient. i hope by my birthday in november i can go buy a size smaller.
check the amount of carbs you are consuming, and try to eliminate some, and excercise more. i need to walk alot more myself!! good luck, keep me posted!!
paige17257
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 08:39
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

Hi Melissa. I haven't lost weight in a month of "concerted effort," either. I chalk it up to the fact that I was out of shape, and I've been seriously working out. Did you start exercising at around the same time you started LCing? There's a chance that you're putting on muscle and this is stopping the scale from moving. It's been said before, but measurements really are more important.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 09:03
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
Also, I have been a chronic dieter so I know what you will say about that!

Many people who come to LC after caloric deprivation diets have trouble losing fat. It takes a little while for your body to trust that you are actually feeding it. Our bodies become conditioned to deprivation of calories and when some come along, they are stored for the next time a famine comes along. Being consistent and persistent is the way to overcome it. Low carbing will ensure that your body has a steady supply of fuel, and your body will realize that it can give up its fat.

Keep your calories at 10 - 12 x your body weight and make sure you are eating nice fats like butter and olive oil.

Did you know I was going to say that?

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-02, 12:23
Registered Member

BF:

Hi,
Thanks for all the great responses. I do exercise and have always lifted weights as well. I do cardio about 3-4 times a week and lift weights twice a week. So maybe all the extra protein is causing more muscle??!! I hope so. But really, I think I am not being quite "strict" enough in my low carbing efforts. I just signed up for a buddy to help motivate me. I wanted someone similiar in size/weight etc. so we can do this together. But I'm also getting much motivation from ALL of you! These boards are super!

Thanks,
Melissa
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 06:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/146.5/125
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default hi nala

I'm looking for a buddy and we seem to be at exactly the same place.

stats: 150/146/127

just started lc about three weeks ago and have already had a few bad days...(i had to move last week and it was impossible to eat right!)

I workout usually 6 days a week- three of those days being strength training (weights)

my email addy is cprecise~bellsouth.net

You are right, if you have less to lose the longer it takes. It's definately something that you have to be consisitant to see results.

Let me know if you want a buddy!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 08:49
Registered Member

BF:
Default Want to be a buddy...

Hi there,
I can't email you at this address. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? My email is popemel~gte.net.
Did you still want to buddy up? You are right about even with me! How tall are you? I'm 5'4".
Did you do the Atkins induction? I have never done an induction. Just started right in on the low
carbing. But I eat too much fruit. I'm going to try really hard though because I believe it works and
I am so close to my goal! Very frustrating. Tell me more about you.

Melissa
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 07:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 152/150/125
BF:
Progress: 7%
Unhappy

Hi there. I'm a new member, but I've been scouring this site and others for a thread on this topic for a while. I seem to be in the same boat as sparklec and nalasimba: only two pounds of weight loss since starting induction (in the first week) about five weeks ago and have been stuck there. It's understandable that one would lose weight less rapidly if there's less to lose, but my boyfriend has lost nine pounds in the same five weeks and he, like me, also has 25 pounds to lose. I know that men supposedly lose weight faster but he is still losing a lot more than the 10% that one would expect to lose in the first month...I don't get it. Any thoughts out there? I'm tracking calories (averaging about 2000 cal per day), drinking tons of water, avoiding the hidden carbs, eating the acceptable veggies, eating about 70% fat, reducing the amount of cheese I eat, getting my protein, avoiding caffeine ans aspartame and running about 20 miles per week while training for a marathon. (I'm not gaining that much muscle--I've always run and lifted). Am I doing something wrong or are there other people out there who have successfully (although, slowly) lost 25 pounds or less? At what point does one determine that LCing is not the right WOE for them?
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 08:23

BF:
Default I dont know if this will help any one but..

I was not getting the results that I thought I should have been.

I read Protien Power over and over..I read anything on the web I could get my hands on and then finally I found site that will set up a 6 week low carb diet plan for you for about 25 bucks..since I am a vegetarian I was having lots of trouble planning meals that didnt involve massive amounts of dairy.

What I found was the "calories does not matter" approach that works for most people was NOT working for me. In fact my calories on a daily basis now are now where near the amount I was eating, although each week they get higher.

I was eating WAY to much cal and too much dairy fat.

So I've been following the diet guideline I got online and finally Im seeing results and feeling great. And I think with this guideline and exercise I am going to see the great results that every one else has.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 08:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 148/122/115
BF:
Progress: 79%

Sparkle,

May I pls ask u a question?

How many calories are u averaging a day?

Thanks.

Bebe
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 08:43

Plan: Southbeach (Phase 2)
Stats: 162/160/130 Female 5'3"
BF:32/%/?/20%
Progress: 6%

Would you mind sharing that on line low carb diet site? I'm curious.
Judi
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 08:48

BF:
Default Calories per day

For my first two weeks (Atkins induction style - pretty restricted) the daily calorie range is between 1100--1300 (this is what the guidline they sent me says the meals equal to.)

Now I know thats low but its only for a two weeks and I think I am actually getting more calories than that. (I've been tracking on fitday and I come out with 1200-1400 each day)

My on line counsler says the calorie (and carb) intake will increase each week after week two.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 08:50

BF:

Diets4UOnline.com

they have LOTS of options..

and my online counselor (Pat) is great! quick - knowledgeable answers.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 17:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, mostly KISS
Stats: 63/68/58
BF:
Progress: -100%
Default Yup, calories matter

Hi there,
Your post caught my eye because I was in the same boat as you. I've been LCing since February, and at the beginning of course I had a big water whoosh, but then I didn't lose anything for MONTHS and just kept bouncing back and forth between these two pounds.

What I found was this: if you don't have much to lose, you REALLY need to watch your calories. I realized, once I started tracking on fitday.com, that I was averaging way too much. Even though LC is the best way to lose weight, if you're eating too many calories you are NOT going to lose, no matter what.

So what I did was this: I exercise (but not excessively- I run about 15 kms/week), I lift weights (only twice a week) and this helps me a lot to stay in ketosis. Last of all, I WATCH THOSE CALORIES. I stay, on average, at about 10-11 times my weight and it's been working like magic. I also cut out dairy, aspartame, etc. and eat only protein and veggies and healthy fats.

Give it a try for a couple of weeks.
Good luck to you! Keep us posted.