Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-19, 05:40

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Or back to obesity thru junk food. One small statured woman I knew long ago, looked heavier, rounder in a cute way. A brilliant gal. But ate biwks if rice and chips for lunch. My shock was earth shattering when she shared she'd had bariatric surgery. No change in diet, primarily due to her living conditions: no access to a kitchen.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-19, 13:21

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I like to read scientific articles about health and other subjects. My job is in the fantasy realm, so to escape from that I go to reality.

I have read more than once doctors calling insulin "The killer hormone" because of the damage it does.

Sure you need it to process the sugar in your system, but at the same time it's processing the sugar, it's damaging you. So the idea is to limit the amount of insulin you need, that way you get less sugar damage and less insulin damage.

But like I said, some people the pleasure is worth the risk to them (not me). Same for heavy drinkers, smokers, sky divers, skiers, mountain climbers, contact sports players, and so on.

We all make risk/benefit decisions. I took a vacation to Australia last year. I flew in planes, hiked in the continent that has 2,000 pound man-eating crocodiles and a number of other dangerous animals, skin dived on the great barrier reef (didn't see a shark), flew home, and drove on I-95 from the airport to my house. All involved risk. This year I might go to Vienna.

I guess eating a keto diet involves some risk. How do I know the people who tell you fat is bad for you don't have at least some point? We all pick what to believe and there is a lot of fraud out there.

I believe the keto diet is the healthy way for me personally to live. So far - so good. I'm 73 and on zero meds. An ex-policeman I just met guessed my age as low 50s (and he is a trained observer). I haven't even caught a cold in at least 15 years.

But the same diet to someone else might be detrimental. I can't say.

But I certainly believe sugar stokes the fires of cancer, and might be a contributing factor as well.

Bob
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-19, 11:26

BF:

Dr Fungs points the finger more specifically at insulin levels, rather than glucose levels .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQsMRjAwcFo
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-19, 14:33

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
I like to read scientific articles about health and other subjects. My job is in the fantasy realm, so to escape from that I go to reality.
Bob

I love this statement.

As for insulin, can't live with too much of it, can't live long without it.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-19, 19:09

BF:

Exactly. Fung says a T1D needs more insulin, and T2D needs far less insulin, to become healthy. Insulting has many jobs.
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-19, 03:24

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

For me, it's looking at the long arc of our existence as a species, and it was very late in the game that agriculture showed up. When it did, there were documented declines in health.

Of course, it took the Industrial Revolution to give us food that sped up this degenerative process, and the modern corporation to bring it to a homicidal peak.
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-19, 09:12

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

And at the time of the industrial revolution, toss in a few religious fanatics becoming the founders of major food corporations to spread beliefs and save the population from poor health. Then, mix in government influence combining subsidies for agriculture and developing food guidelines supporting the subsidized crops, and we have a recipe for disaster.

We haven't yet touched on the misinformation that comes from the research (using this term very loosely) and medical communities also supporting a bizarre definition of a healthy lifestyle while prescribing medications to treat the symptoms developed when eating an unhealthy diet. Couldn't make this up . . .
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-19, 10:27

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Insulting has many jobs.
Yes, it does!
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-19, 10:55

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

New talk on Keto and Cancer. https://youtu.be/GD10WiMc2L4

I was going to wait until Monday when part 2 would also be posted, but this is very good talk to add now. Dr Kesslering is a Radiation Oncologist in Chicago. Interesting that the Radiation Oncologists are leading the way. Toward the end of this part she has a slide on one of Dr Colin Champ's studies, who has just moved to Duke as a Radiation Oncologist adding nutrition. The studies at the beginning are more on breast/gyno cancer, her speciality.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-19, 16:06

Plan: Atkins/ carnivore
Stats: 302/270/190 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 29%

I came upon a documentary on fasting on youtube that covered some of the benefits of fasting and its effect on cancer. Do a search for " The Science of Fasting". At the end cancer is referred to and the effect of fasting combined with chemotherapy. It is interesting.
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Oct-04-19, 04:17

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
New talk on Keto and Cancer. https://youtu.be/GD10WiMc2L4

I was going to wait until Monday when part 2 would also be posted, but this is very good talk to add now. Dr Kesslering is a Radiation Oncologist in Chicago. Interesting that the Radiation Oncologists are leading the way. Toward the end of this part she has a slide on one of Dr Colin Champ's studies, who has just moved to Duke as a Radiation Oncologist adding nutrition. The studies at the beginning are more on breast/gyno cancer, her speciality.
Thank you!

Dr. Christy Kesslering

Part II:

https://youtu.be/rDuqqPrhfc4

Last edited by s93uv3h : Fri, Oct-04-19 at 04:38.