Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-18, 03:03

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Diabetes.co.uk/Dr David Unwin

Thought there was a thread here about Dr David Unwin's diabetes program in the UK. But need to have one for all the recent news. He is featured in the last 15 minutes of the BBC special The Truth about Carbs.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=480472
Get clever about carbs https://www.bbc.com/news/health-44368601

Very positive results with a small group of obese/diabetics on LC for two weeks. It mentions The program at Diabetes.co.uk (not to be confused with the UK Diabetes lobby/charity )

https://www.diabetes.co.uk Can join the quarter million people on their Low Carb Program and read articles about Dr Unwin's results there.
One article https://www.dietdoctor.com/dr-david...-diabetes-times. More about Dr Unwin and his course of LCHF for doctors at DietDoctor.

I don’t agree with everything in the BBC show, especially the freezing the bread makes resistant starch weirdness, but good show overall. The message to avoid white and beige carbs is pretty simple, but then he blathers on about reheating pasta and rinsing and spitting sugary sports drinks...questionable, confusing advice for diabetics.

This morning tweet from Diabetes.co.uk...they have been offering this Low Carb Program for two years now and received a "certification" in the UK that allows them to help GP's roll out the plan in their surgeries.

Add that to the recommendation from the Royal College of Physicians, all good news. From forum : "Royal College of GP's.. apparently Dr Unwin has written a guide to low carbing which should be received by every GP in the country. He announced it at the PHC conference (at the Royal College of GP's) but asked everyone to keep quiet about it until the official announcement.. something like 52,000 GP's should be receiving advice on LCHF!" (No longer quiet if on the BBC )

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Jun-08-18 at 03:34.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-18, 03:33

Results from Diabetes.co.UK one year study on effectiveness of their on-line program to Reverse T2 Diabetes

https://www.dietdoctor.com/can-an-o...type-2-diabetes

The study: http://diabetes.jmir.org/2018/3/e12/

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Aug-11-18 at 03:39.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-18, 07:32

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

And the wheels keep turning as we see advocates increasing with continued positive health improvements. Dr. Unwin is a humble, understated, laser-focused physician who started making a difference locally and now has the recognition and press to enable broader awareness and sharing of his program nationally. This is great news and buoys many of us who are scratching our heads wondering why more don't take advantage of simple lifestyle interventions that can make an incredible difference in health improvements. The second phase is well underway.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-18, 07:45

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
And the wheels keep turning as we see advocates increasing with continued positive health improvements. Dr. Unwin is a humble, understated, laser-focused physician who started making a difference locally and now has the recognition and press to enable broader awareness and sharing of his program nationally. This is great news and buoys many of us who are scratching our heads wondering why more don't take advantage of simple lifestyle interventions that can make an incredible difference in health improvements. The second phase is well underway.

I am one of those people who continue to scratch my head. Sometimes I feel like banging my head against a wall but I try to stop at scratching. Dr Cucuzzella in a talk that can be found on diet doctor talks about giving people the choice to either make lifestyle/dietary changes and get healthy or continue on sick and taking medication. He said that 9 out of 10 (I think these are the numbers he stated) will choose health and dietary change. I wonder if the combo of them having come to him, a doctor, because they are sick and he being so clearly compassionate/non-blaming and enthusiastic about low carb eating means that he does a better job than most of us can do to convince anyone of anything.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-18, 11:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I wonder if the combo of them having come to him, a doctor, because they are sick and he being so clearly compassionate/non-blaming and enthusiastic about low carb eating means that he does a better job than most of us can do to convince anyone of anything.

I believe this is to a large degree why we seek doctors like Dr. Cucuzella.

Interesting you should mention him, as I have an appointment with him Monday to determine whether a physician in Martinsburg, WV can be my primary care physician. My current PCP is prone to use the cardiac risk calculator which takes into account BP, age, total cholesterol, and HDL and has not budged since I went strict low carb. I'd like to know I have a knowledgeable physician as a collaborator who can accurately interpret an NMR Lipid Panel rather then caution me that I'm wasting my money on this test. He's just over an hour away from my home, but it's worth it if I can see someone who understands the power of lifestyle changes and is able to interpret health markers accurately.

Edited to correct my appointment day.

Last edited by GRB5111 : Sat, Aug-11-18 at 14:51.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-18, 11:57

BF:

I just listened to Dr Cucuzella's talk a few days ago and was impressed by him so he was on my mind. You'll have to report back on your visit. He seems like a great doctor to have in your corner and you would be a great patient for him to have in his corner.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-18, 14:45

BF:

Thanks, Jean. I'll report back after my visit on Monday.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-18, 03:09

The Sugarbriety page reminds us that this new trial of an on-line Diabetes program, and the two Virta trials, have other precedents, this one early 2017 ...and no surprise...they all get very little media attention.

Quote:
KETO TROUNCES ADA DIET IN HEAD TO HEAD TRIAL
If it had gone the other way, it would've been headline news. But keto won, so you probably didn't hear about it.
Laura Saslow and her colleagues did a great little pilot online keto program plus lifestyle intervention vs online ADA advice and the differences were astonishing.

The keto group reduced their HbA levels –0.8% vs –0.3% for the ADA dieters.
55% of the keto group lowered their HbA to less than 6.5% versus none on the ADA diet.
The keto group lost 21 pounds more on average than the ADA dieters. –12.7 kg vs –3.0 kg.
90% of the keto group lost at least 5% of their bodyweight vs 29% of the ADA dieters.
The keto group lowered their triglycerides –60.1 vs –6.2 mg/dL for the ADA group.
Only 8% of the keto dieters dropped out of the study vs 46% for the ADA group.

In summary...
KETO WAS VASTLY SUPERIOR to the ADA diet in:
1. Blood sugar control
2. Weight loss
3. Cardiovascular risk reduction
4. Adherence and sustainability

Next time somebody tells you the ketogenic diet is, "unproven for diabetics", "unsustainable", "bad for the heart", and "just another calorically restricted diet", show them this study. ALL those criticisms are incorrect and founded only in prejudice, not data.

Full study:
An Online Intervention Comparing a Very Low Carbohydrate Ketogenic Diet and Lifestyle Recommendations Versus a Plate Method Diet in Overweight Individuals With Type 2 Diabetes: A Randomized Controlled Trial

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar...eport=printable
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-18, 08:54

BF:

Quote:
they all get very little media attention.

It continues to amaze me what qualifies as news and what the media will print or broadcast. It's a business driven dynamic, so we get only what is thought to be a good seller to the masses. I remember the dream of every aspiring journalist in college was to be objective, thorough, and accurate with dogged fact checking when communicating the news, but this was nothing more than a dream. When confronted with the real world and what your media business considers publish-worthy, it's a very different dynamic. Also, it's far easier to regurgitate the popular notions, as being a Gary Taubes or a Nina Teicholz has its price in the incredible amount of work and diligence paid and the follow-on attacks on reputation when reporting view points totally contradictory to the mainstream. The business has been so dumbed-down today, that anything printed or reported has me skeptical before I even begin to read, watch or listen. There are a few journalists who have credibility, very few.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-18, 09:56

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
It continues to amaze me what qualifies as news and what the media will print or broadcast. It's a business driven dynamic, so we get only what is thought to be a good seller to the masses. I remember the dream of every aspiring journalist in college was to be objective, thorough, and accurate with dogged fact checking when communicating the news, but this was nothing more than a dream. When confronted with the real world and what your media business considers publish-worthy, it's a very different dynamic. Also, it's far easier to regurgitate the popular notions, as being a Gary Taubes or a Nina Teicholz has its price in the incredible amount of work and diligence paid and the follow-on attacks on reputation when reporting view points totally contradictory to the mainstream. The business has been so dumbed-down today, that anything printed or reported has me skeptical before I even begin to read, watch or listen. There are a few journalists who have credibility, very few.

Agree, agree, agree! I was thinking along similar lines. I recently saw an article that touted CICO as the latest thing in diets. It's kind of mind baffling. When one is in school training in the sciences you get taught that the scientific method starts with objective observation. That's kind of a rare thing, especially in the field of nutrition science which should rightfully be called nutrition propaganda in most instances. Tim Noakes is one of those rare scientists who has been willing to admit he was wrong and look what he got subjected to.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-18, 14:26

BF:

I had my appointment with Dr. Mark Cucuzzella yesterday, and as I anticipated, it was extremely beneficial. I brought my last two NMR Lipid panel results, as the last one that I had done in February indicated a higher TC and higher LDL than the previous one a year earlier when I had eliminated dairy for 30 days prior to the blood draw. I had called his office earlier to see if there were forms for me to fill out with my medical history (most places strictly require these), and there was nothing for me to do in advance other than show up on time.

There is a reason for this, as I discovered that Mark takes the time in the first visit to talk with his patients to learn exactly what is going on and what my health situation is, my objectives, and how I want to work with a physician. He is very thorough, and was enthusiastic when I told him I followed a keto WOE. He looked at my NMR Lipid panels and indicated that with my triglycerides so low, a reasonably high HDL, an IR score indicating no IR, an hs-CRP of 0.4, and an HbA1c of 4.9, that anything else (TC, LDL-C, etc.) was unimportant. He agreed that those on LC or keto have a very different lipid profile than those on SAD or any other WOE, and that much is still being learned about identifying valid health markers for low carbers (and I'll add, anyone else). I asked if further lipid tests were necessary, answer: "No, not necessary, as you are consistent with your dietary practices."

He spent over an hour discussing lifestyle and research. Note that his practice focuses on diabetes and metabolic health, and that is exactly what I'm looking for in a physician. We discussed physical fitness and workouts to enhance one's overall health, and he's a wealth of knowledge in the area of running fitness as well.

Next steps: I'm now making an appointment with my PCP, as he's requested a follow up from last February when he suggested I should consider statins to manage my TC. He'll likely request another lipid test, which I will refuse, as I believe these are no longer necessary for me unless there's a change in my health or diet. My approach is to be clear how I eat and why my lipid profile should be different. I respect my PCP and will find a way to work with him and Dr. Cucuzzella.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-18, 05:04

Dr. Unwin is just the loveliest man, supportive and modest. In this podcast, Dr. Baker compared him to Doc Martin, ...only in the sense of being a GP in a small town...not his personality!

One comment caught my attention is he has a group of UK GPs who are using low carb with their patients that was near 400! He's all around social media, Twitter, on this diabetes website, so if in the UK it would appear to be now easier to find a supportive doctor in your area thanks to this dedicated family doctor.

http://humanperformanceoutliers.lib...-dr-david-unwin

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Nov-27-18 at 09:34.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-18, 18:25

BF:

Very powerful with GPs networking to support a lifestyle approach to better health. Positive results will expand this group. Good things are happening due to the initial influence of a few key individuals.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Dec-26-18, 10:21

The LowCarbProgram in the UK now has a Beta version of an app for the NHS. The Individual app has been out for a while, but now there is one for the doctors since the Royal College of GP added LC as a diabetes and weight loss treatment.

https://www.lowcarbprogram.com/nhs/
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-19, 04:57

Demi posted this story to Media section, but it is so good with successs stories using Dr. Unwin's Diabetes.co.uk plan, adding it here too. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-diet-plan.html

It is the First in a Series that will continue all week, where they explain exactly how to follow a LC plan, and I assume some recipes from this Chef.