Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Nov-01-11, 19:08

Plan: candida diet
Stats: 255/180/175 Male 185cm
BF:
Progress:

Wow! I had no idea.
One more thing, I'm planning on starting on the OoO tomorrow morning (Now that I'm sort of more back in reasonable-diet mode). I've been reading about using OoO and some people say that you should start with a smaller dose and work your way up. I'm all for starting at 4 caps, 4x per day, but I'm worried about any effects it might have on my body (seems like a lot of OoO). I have a very physically demanding job and those things wouldn't be the greatest to experience while at work.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-11, 07:32
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Then start slow with 1-4X/day and increase to the next multiple every 2-3 days.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-11, 19:26

Plan: None
Stats: 175/175/175 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress:
Talking Maybe some help

Here is something that I wrote on another forum. If you dont want to read it all, my QUICK advice is the medication DIFLUCAN ( need prescription )combined with cutting down on ALL types of pop and Alcohol. Below is my story

11/2/11
This is MY story with MY causes, MY symptoms and MY cures

My Story
It started with a very bad sinus infection In December 2010. I went to the Dr and was given a prescription for amoxicillin and then a second dose of Zpak. These antibiotics got rid of my sinus infections but started a chain reaction that seemed unstoppable.

About 7 days after I took the last antibiotics I started to develop an uncomfortable feeling on the tip of my Penis (see symptoms below). Of course the first things that will race through a man’s mind Is STD. I went back to my Dr and told him about it and then provided a urine sample. The tests came back negative and I was given a different dose of amoxicillin (Augmentin). This made the symptoms go away while I was on it and about 7 days after. But the symptoms slowly returned after that. By now I’m sure it’s a STD and I go back to the Dr. This time I went through the oh so enjoyable swab down urethra test. A few days later the tests came back negative and I was given yet another dose of amoxicillin (Augmentin). At this point I am welcoming the prescriptions just so I can get some relief (even though I know it will be temporary). Same results as the past, about 2 weeks of relief. I went to the Dr 1 more time for a blood test which came back negative as well. At this point it’s August 2010 and I’m pretty much fed up with Drs and I turn to the Internet for answers.

After multiple searches of my symptoms I stumble on yeast infection. I was thinking, there is no way I can have this, it’s for women. But I then searched by male yeast infections and it turned up several helpful sites. That’s where I discovered the drug Diflucan. I went back to my Dr yet again and told him what I had found and he prescribed Diflucan. This did the trick!!! All symptoms went away for about a 2 months. The symptoms started again on a much smaller scale after that. I believe they returned because of my very poor diet (see cures below).

The only problem I found with these male yeast infection sites was that I couldn’t find 1 testimonial from any guys. Nothing from a real person saying what caused their problem, nothing telling personal stories of the symptoms and nobody saying what helped contain/cure the issue. I’m not an expert but maybe this will encourage other men to add their stories/symptoms/cures.

My Causes
Antibiotics/poor diet/Booze

After reading more on Yeast infections I learned the very drugs that were giving me the 2 weeks relief were actually making the yeast infection worse. So it was a double edge sword for me. I learned antibiotics will cause yeast infections.

I also learned a poor diet will also feed the yeast infection. I like to think of myself as the sugar/chips guru. I was consuming way too many cookies, cakes and chips. I’m 5’11 and only 175Lbs but very unhealthy. I just couldn’t get rid of my chips. But with this eating habit I was helping the infection by feeding it exactly what it wanted.

My Alcohol intake was high as well. I really didn’t drink that much on the weekdays but the weekends I would drink a lot. This also fed the infection. I would drink Beer and Captain Morgan spiced rum with diet coke.

My Symptoms
Uncomfortable sensitivity on tip of Penis, red head and depression

I had 3 major symptoms over the last 10 months (broken up a bit with the medications I took). The first to show up was the very uncomfortable feeling on the tip of my penis. Not the whole head of the penis, just the very tip. There were no bumps or anything leaking out but when I walked or even lay down it just felt raw (like you are wearing sand paper underwear). I ran on a treadmill everyday and this regiment stopped because walking was almost unbearable so there was no way I could run. The only time of day it wasn’t as bad was right when I woke up. It would start a few hours later after I’m up and around.

The next to show up was a red penis tip. The whole head was very red. Kinda like if you grabbed it and cut off circulation.

The last symptom was depression. I don’t think this came about by anything chemical within my body. I think it was caused by the pain/uncomfortable feeling in my manhood. The thought of an incurable STD and everything else that was racing through my head. And my sex life coming to a halt. With this happening to a mans most important part and the discomfort nonstop all day long, the depression sets in hard and strong.

***Keep in mind I did not have any pain urinating or any pain inside. It was all focused on the tip (pain) and the redness (the whole head of my penis). The shaft and twins were never effected.***

My Cures

Well, this is the most important part. I DO suggest you go to your Dr and get tested for all STDs. The male yeast infection symptoms are very similar to some STDs. It is VERY important you rule those out first.

When those are ruled out you can try the below.

1)Diflucan- If you don’t have any allergies (consult your Dr) and you want to get fast relief, this will cure your problem as it did mine. But mine returned 2 months later just on a smaller scale. Some people are susceptible to reoccurring yeast infections.

2) Acidophilus pills- I take these daily now. You can buy them at Walgreens or health food store. These Probiotics are "friendly" bacteria and suppresses the growth of potentially harmful bacteria. It basically does what Yogurt does. I hate yogurt so I take these pills. If you enjoy plain yogurt then consume that instead. Make sure it is the NO sugar yogurt. These pills are very good for your digestive track as well. You can find these pills on sale sometimes and are not very expensive. I just bought 120 pills on sale at Walgreens for $16. 2 pills a day so its only about $8 a month.

3)Garlic pills- I take these daily now. The garlic is also supposed to keep things in balance. Again, not very expensive.

4) Cranberry pills- I take these daily now. Everything you read about yeast infections it says to drink cranberry juice. I’m not a big fan of it so I just take these pills. The cost is about the same as the other 2 pills.

5)Water- Drink plenty of water. LOTS OF WATER. Drink plenty of it every day. Flush your system daily. Pee it out

6) Diet- While taking these pills, you will need to change your diet a bit. I’m not saying become a diet saint but cut back big time on sugar intake, cut back on drinking Alcohol and cut back on chips/fries. Your diet will help prevent them in the future.

I hope this helped people a little. I’m not a Dr, just someone that went through some awful times with my goodies.

Feel free to comment and let me know if this helped.

J
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-11, 21:31

BF:
Progress:

Wow, good to know Johnny K.
Personally I'm also fairly certain its not an STD, as historically topical antifungals have provided me with temporary relief. I already do take garlic as well as acidophilus supplements, as well as other vitamins.

I too am guilty of having a terrible diet at one point. Right now I've cleaned that up immensely. I'll stick with the OoO for now, but I'm thankful for your information. If I go back to the Dr. for this I'll get his opinion on diflucan. Also, I'll try to pickup some cranberry pills too.

Thanks!
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-11, 07:08

Plan: None
Stats: 175/175/175 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress:

No Problem.

What I learned is if you have a full blown case of yeast infection, the vitamins might tame the symptoms but wont get rid of them completely. A round of Diflucan to zap it GONE and then the vitamins and less sugar diet should keep it away ( learned that after my 2nd dose of Diflucan 2 months later )

If the OOO doesnt do the trick, try and Google Diflucan. It seems to be the #1 drug of choice for Yeast Infections. Good luck.

J
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Nov-09-11, 18:28

BF:
Progress:

Alright, so far It's been 7 days on the OoO. I would have posted earlier but it seems the forum was down. I really haven't noticed anything in terms of improvement in the yeast but 2 nights ago I had what I think was die off, a fever, chills, headache, frequent BM's. My diet throughout the whole thing has been fairly good, with the occasional slip up. Hopefully I'll start seeing some results soon!
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jul-07-15, 11:52

Plan: Never
Stats: 150/150/150 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress:

Greetings!
So Gonzo, after 4 years, have you found the real solutions for Candida? if so, please describe.