Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-10, 10:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/158.5/110 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Joining the pregnancy club

I found out a couple of days ago that I'm pregnant. I'm thrilled, but scared stiff, too. BTW, this will be our 5th kiddo. And I've no idea how far along I am, but I'll guess about 2mos.

In all of my previous pregnancies, I developed preeclampsia. Though I never felt it was "that bad" it was a scary experience. Last time, it was officially diagnosed at 27 weeks and I was sent to L&D for steroid shots. Luckily, rest decreased my bp, and I was sent home for 10wks of bedrest. With the other munchkins, it was diagnosed at nearly full term or at full term or we could see it coming based on slight increases in bp and urine protein.

Though I wanted another baby, I wasn't quite ready to discover a positive pregnancy test. When I say it was a shock, that's an understatement! I was taking bcps so I'd only have a period every 3mos. My last bcp cycle was odd- it started before my bcp cycle was supposed to begin with spotting- a week of spotting. Then, the bcps were done and I had more spotting, but no actual bleeding. (This is really odd for me because we suspect endometriosis due to the painful, heavy periods- haven't confirmed b/c we don't feel it's worth the risk of exploratory surgery.) I wasn't about to look that gift horse in the mouth, though! In the next couple of weeks, I developed a sudden obsession with all things baby. We were talking about doing away with the bcps and trying herbs and eventually ttc again. DH wasn't ready to plan another one.

A friend who's dh is deployed came to stay with us for a few days because her baby was sick and I helped her with her 4yo. My kids caught the bug, then I caught the bug, then my little one developed an ear and sinus infection. Meanwhile, I felt a little off. I decided to POAS for the heck of it. It was a dollar store brand I usually use. It wasn't positive, but in the positive area, there were about 4 tiny dots of color. So, I repeated. Instead of the magic vertical line, I got a horizontal line that wasn't supposed to be there at all. Figuring I wasn't pregnant, I went on about my days until this week. I don't have any normal pg symptoms- I just feel a little different from normal (which can be contributed to my still present cold that I can't seem to get rid of) and I had a nagging voice in my head. Oh, and stomach cramps. I tested again and it turned positive before the urine reached the control window. As soon as it hit the test area, there was a dark line!

I really do not want pe again. I don't want to gain a lot of weight, either since I'm still "obese" and I'm really short. The main thing is the pe. I'm going to increase my calcium and magnesium supplements, maintain my LC diet, and hope for the best. I want to take nettles, but the tincture I usually take says not for use in pregnancy. I'll need to find a new supplier. I've been drinking RR Leaf tea, but I'm not sure that's a good idea. I love the taste, and the fact that it's caffeine free. Chamomile makes me sleepy...I guess I need an alternative. I love water, but I like to break up the monotony of H2O all the time.

I'm trying to make up my mind about health care. I can deliver at the local military hospital (is it local if it's clear on the other side of town??), for free, but the nurses are rude and mean and you're treated like a herd animal, and they don't listen to your wishes at all. (Can you tell I've delivered there before?) I loved my last civilian OB, but because he was like a grandfather figure, I was uncomfortable being nude (and delivering) in front of him. I'd love a midwife and homebirth, but my insurance won't cover CPM's and there aren't any CNM's who do homebirth here. Another military momma used a midwifery clinic that's associated with my last ob's clinic and they deliver in the hospital my last son was born in. I'm leaning that way. That way, I get my midwife, but if things start heading south, there's an ob there and the ob's are already familiar with my history. Plus, I know the peri I'd be referred to since I've seen him for my last 3 pregnancies. (He's retired military and by coincidence, we've been at the same duty stations.)

That's me and mine. My boys are 8, 5, 3, and 20mos. I don't know of anything else I can do to help this pregnancy be healthy. I wish I knew how far along I am. Last time, I saw a rise in bp at 12weeks. As everyone is telling me, maybe this time it'll be a girl! I could certainly use some extra estrogen around here!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-20-10, 19:41

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I am very new to the whole pregnancy thing, so can't sugest a whole lot

I've been drinking nettle tea every day, it's supposed to be very healthy especially in pregnancy. It has a flavor slightly reminiscent of green tea, not bad at all. I know that RR tea is good late in pregnancy, but should keep consumption to no more than a cup or 2 a day earlier than that. I've been living LC since this past November and plan on staying that way for my pregnancy as well.

Your experience with PE sounds very frightening! Maybe maintaining your LC WOE could help with that this time around? I have read only positive personal experiences with LC pregnancies, I am hoping things will go that way for me as well as I am fairly overweight going into this and worried about GD especially.

Good luck getting your provider worked out. Any idea when you'll get to find out your edd?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-10, 08:28

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 212/181/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 50%

You gals should check out the Brewer Medical diet for pregnancy. Dr. Brewer claimed an almost zero rate for pre eclampsia following the diet, of which a large part is high protein. Works well with low or modified low carb diet.

Official Brewer Diet site

Quote:
It’s not genetics. It’s not random. The cause is NOT unknown. Toxemia CAN be stopped. Preeclampsia CAN be stopped. Best of all, YOU can stop it!

HOW? All the scientific research being done on toxemia and preeclampsia these days is focusing on treatment, and none of it is promising. But the research has already been done, many times and many ways in the past 50+ years, and we know that you can PREVENT this from happening to you in the first place, no matter what your personal history may be. The simple answer? GOOD NUTRITION.

GREAT site with physiological explanations for the science behind the diet and why it works.

Congratulations to both of you!