Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-10, 12:05

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%
Default HORRIFIED by CDA recommendations...a rant

Hi everyone, I'm new to this thread, and I'm really glad I found it. My 10 yr old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last year. He is otherwise fit. Folks, you just won't believe (or maybe you would believe) the recommendations we have received from the Canadian Diabetes Association via the local "nutritionist." Their food recommendations had him eating over 300 grams of carbs per day! Insane!!!! I've confronted them over and over again and said that it's way too many carbs (actually, just way too much food) and have cut back, cut back, cut back. Consequentially my son eats more healthy foods, a greater variety of foods, and requires less insulin. I'm a rebel, I guess.

I have NO SUPPORT from the "authority" when it comes to a LC lifestyle for my son. My sister in law is a nutritionist, with a type 1 diabetic brother, and she still praises the high carb low fat diet. I understand that my son will be insulin dependent for the rest of his life, but I do not accept that he has to eat carbohydrate crap ALL DAY LONG (the nutritionist says he has to eat multiple snacks all day long to keep his blood sugars in range...I say they would stay in range if he stayed away from carbs!) They actually showed me products I could buy in the store that are "convenient sources of carbs for snacks." It was crap! Cookies, crackers, fruit bars, granola bars, etc., etc. They said that this was the food "kids would eat" and is the easiest way to do things. OH MY GOD. I told the nutritionist that none of these things were food! I'm almost incoherent with rage and dismay.

Like I said, we're on our own. We are adjusting our son's food and experimenting with his insulin doses, and monitoring, monitoring, monitoring his blood glucose to make sure he stays in range. All of the evidence so far points towards the success of low carbing. Can you imagine how I feel, EXPERIMENTING with my own child b/c the official voice is insane?

Does anyone else here have a type 1 diabetic child, or is type 1 themselves? I could sure use some words of support or advice. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-10, 12:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/248/160 Female 5'4
BF:BigBallaFat
Progress: 2%

My husband is type 2 and was insulin dependant before going LC. Now he has been off the insulin for almost 2 years and his blood sugar levels are those of a non-diabetic. Low carb is definately the way to go. I know your son will always have to have some insulin, but the less, the better.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-10, 11:09

Plan: Medifast
Stats: 194.6/175.2/165.0 Female 62.5
BF:Make goal by Aug13
Progress: 66%

My son is a T1D of 6.5 years and I know *exactly* how you feel!

They put him on a diet of 3 - 70g meals a day plus 2 - 50g snacks...

I don't do it. But I do keep my mouth shut about it. I let him eat a balanced, healthy meal (reasonable carbs), let him eat however much he wants and he's healthy as a horse. He's constantly maxing every physical challenge the school PE teacher has given him. He has 8% BF and is muscular as heck.

If you ever need an ear, you can contact me anytime. Been there, done that. (The first two years are the worst, then it gets better!)

Shay