Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-20-09, 06:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 149.6/143/130 Female 170cm
BF:Stats not updated
Progress: 34%
Default oatmeal - does it improve milk quantity?

I don't have enough milk, I only succeed in pumping at work half of what DD(11 mo) needs while I am gone. I've been all over for advice and oatmeal keeps poping up. I've been low carbing for 4 yrs, reached my goal weight, and again pp. I don't want to increase carbs by eating oatmeal, but I've tried almost everything else. Any science into how oatmeal is supposed to increase milk? Should I risk the weight gain?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-20-09, 11:17

Plan: Under 50 grams
Stats: 190.2/181.0/147 Female 5'4.5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

#3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-21-09, 21:41

Stats: 276/234.8/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I believe KellyMom also has the info on herbs. I did alfalfa tablets and they really helped me. Also I have to keep my calories up around 2500 (at least) or my milk supply starts to drop a lot. I also take 3T coconut oil daily to help increase the good fats in my milk. I am still BFing my 10mo old. I'd be happy to chat more if you'd like.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-22-09, 10:18

Plan: Paleo - VLC
Stats: 163/175/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: -52%

I agree with the link that Scotiagirl posted. With my oldest two, I was a stay-at-home-mom. I nursed and did not ever pump. I had absolutely no issue with milk supply.

With my third, I was working and did pump. I didn't make enough milk after about 7 months. I felt like the pump was to blame, but what else can you do when you're a working mom?

I had my 4th on 10/26 , so I haven't gone back to work yet. I bought a more expensive pump and hope that it will do the trick once I'm off maternity leave and pumping regularly.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-22-09, 11:09

Plan: Under 50 grams
Stats: 190.2/181.0/147 Female 5'4.5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

My girlfriend always has a more than adequate supply and has even donated her breastmilk to the neonatal ward of our hospital for premies, she pumped and froze it. It's an idea, is it possible to do this to supplement or increase your supply?
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-22-09, 17:37

Scotiagirl - thanks for the link to kellymom, I've been all over that site in the past and it is always good to return there. They themselves say there is no science behind oatmeal and output. I wish I could get someone to pump a little extra for my DD, but I am sure those women are donating to the preemie wards, like you've said.

Burbuja- I am sure the problem is with the pump, during the weekend she has no complaints, and I don't have to supplement with formula. I use both the medela mini electric and the avent isis (non electric). I only get out about 40 ml each session, I try to fit in 3 sessions but sometimes I can only do 2 or 1.
Oh! and congratulations!!!!

NinaS - I'd love to chat more! I am dis-hearted about her needing formula, and to see what I go though for a few drops is just sad. I take the feenageek and the milk thistle, omega and more. I think I eat enough (I don't know about calories, I only count carbs ). I will try the alfalfa and coconut.
DD is 11 mo, I hope to bf as long as she wants to. I co-sleep, so she bfs all night, I am okay with that.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-22-09, 18:55

BF:

Sondacop- I know this may not even be an option, but is there anyway to cut back hrs at work, or even not work for a little longer? Way to go co-sleeping, I know some wouldn't agree but I have always and probably always will. There really are some good arguments to back this up and very little for the SIDS scare- argument to stand on.

She is 11 mo and she may start self weaning soon, maybe not. But you can be comforted that she can get nourishment from other food sources, not just formula. Whole milk yogurt is very good for babies 4 mo and older. Make sure it's whole though as they need the fat for brain development. Does she eat solids very well?

I have struggled something awful with my DD. She is my third and so far she is the one I have managed to bf the longest. The other two weren't necessarily supply issues though.

Don't forget, no matter how much milk you have or don't, you are good mom because you love your baby. I struggle with feelings of inadequacy in this area.

Wishing you abundant breast milk and lots of good baby snuggles

Nina
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-23-09, 11:19

Yeah! To cut back on work hours! I'd love that, better yet, I'd love to be a stay at home mom for a year at least. But then I don't think I'd manage to eat anything with no income, I think that would definitely hamper BFing !
I'm a SMC so gotta go to work.

She is fine with solids, and really likes to eat independently. I love to watch her pick up peas with her tiny fingers maneuver them into her fist and stuff the whole fist into her mouth. She actually gets 2-3 peas in that way. Its amazing! My dogs love it too, they eat anything that fall out of her fist on the way! Sometimes she drops food in their mouths, and sometimes she unintentionally teases them. I spend most meals laughing hysterically!

I know enough is getting in, what happens on the way is weird, I find lots of food in the diaper. She doesn't digest a lot of it, that is why I depend so much on her BF.

I just hate supplementing with formula. I don't feel inadequate as a mother because of this (although most of the time I feel more like a big sister), (I'm definitely an inadequate mother because I don't keep up with the house work, but who cares...). I would be much more happy if she could have only BM and solids. I put a lot of effort into pumping and feel that the amount is small. I am proud to pump, I walk out of the office each day with my bag in one hand and the pumped milk flaunted in the other! I call it my priceless drop collection. 80-110 ml is what I produce in 8 hours at work, I pump 2-3 times. It's sad, but it is better than nothing.

What kind of struggle do you have BFing your DD?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-23-09, 20:03

BF:

It was a lack of milk/ richness in my milk from the beginning. I'm not sure why. At least I think so, she was growing really well length wise just really skinny. 8th percentile. She did fine once I sarted feeding her solids. She WANTED food at 4mo I waited till 5mo and then started her and she gobbled everything I gave her. But she's 10 mo now and still bfing at least every 4 hrs around the clock.

Not to sound dumb but what is SMC?
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-23-09, 20:17

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 212/181/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbuja
I agree with the link that Scotiagirl posted. With my oldest two, I was a stay-at-home-mom. I nursed and did not ever pump. I had absolutely no issue with milk supply.

With my third, I was working and did pump. I didn't make enough milk after about 7 months. I felt like the pump was to blame, but what else can you do when you're a working mom?

I had my 4th on 10/26 , so I haven't gone back to work yet. I bought a more expensive pump and hope that it will do the trick once I'm off maternity leave and pumping regularly.

Congratulations on your fourth!

I also had my output decrease at about 11 months, and ended up weaning about one year of age for my daughter. Best of luck increasing your output.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-23-09, 22:20

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Try the book Mother Food by Hilary Jacobson.http://www.amazon.com/Mother-Food-B...59036408&sr=1-1

It has lots of noncarby suggestions - she takes a pretty low carb, traditional food approach.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Nov-28-09, 12:18

smc= single mom by choice
My DD is like yours - long and skinny. She is less then 3 percentile, little margin for regular weight loss for teeth and sickness. This month she gained only 200 grams and the medical people want her tested. I find her diapers full of undigested food, so although she eats really well, and is not hungry, and is developing well, it seems she has a digestion problem. I wouldn't be surprised if all she is digesting is my milk!! So I must do more to increase supply.

Burbuja - what kind of pump do you now use? I am not happy with my combination, and I would like to hear what you used in the past and why you changed to the new pump.

algts - I'm am sorry you had to wean at a year, I hope to bf as long as she wants.

jschwab - I looked up "Mother Food" on amazon like you suggested, it sounds like an interesting book, but it is a bit expensive including shipping. Could you give me any low carb or herbal suggestions, or advise why I should get the book even though it is so expensive?
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Nov-28-09, 12:20

Oh, and, jschwab, is anything said in the book about oatmeal?
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Nov-28-09, 14:22

BF:

Sondacop, my advice would be, if you want to, try the oatmeal. I would suggest whoale oat groats, preferably steel cut if you can find them. Also you will get a lot more nutrition out of them if you soak them for 12-24 hrs. You are so close to your goal anyway, and a lot of low carbers add in whole grain oatmeal at some point.

Here are some links to explain the soaking and other helpful info. I really enjoy this lady's blog.

Milk supply info

http://www.passionatehomemaking.com...s-milk-tea.html

Oatmeal info

http://www.passionatehomemaking.com...-breakfast.html

HTH, God bless, Nina
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Nov-30-09, 18:29
Registered Member

Stats: 310/292/150 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sondacop
I don't have enough milk, I only succeed in pumping at work half of what DD(11 mo) needs while I am gone. I've been all over for advice and oatmeal keeps poping up. I've been low carbing for 4 yrs, reached my goal weight, and again pp. I don't want to increase carbs by eating oatmeal, but I've tried almost everything else. Any science into how oatmeal is supposed to increase milk? Should I risk the weight gain?

I had a low supply problem with my second baby. My doctor recommended Mother's Milk Herbal tea, and it worked wonders to me. I would pump about an hour after drinking a cup of it, and I would get about 2 extra ounces from each breast. You can drink like 4-5 cups a day if you need to. You can google it, and there are lots of positive reviews about it!