Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-10, 15:30
On my way to goal

Plan: General lower carb
Stats: 220/210.4/180 Female 68 inches
BF:Top Weight = 323lb
Progress: 24%
Default Need some help for more breakfast ideas for 2 year olds...

Hi. I have a pair of 2 year olds and, while they don't low carb exactly, I prefer that they have protein/fat based meals, breakfast included. They've recently decided that they cannot possibly eat another egg. We do a sausage patty, bacon slice, cheese slice but I don't want them to decide they also hate these things just because they have it every day.

Does anyone have any new ideas for kid friendly, protein based breakfasts?

Thanks!

- Casey
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-10, 15:48

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

My kids (6, 4, and 3) have homemade sausage patties almost every day and they don't seem to have decided to hate them. They've been eating this way for a couple of years, so two of them did this as 2-year-olds. They have bacon when we run out of sausage.

They get eggs too, but they usually don't eat the whites. They dip their meat in the yolk. The yolk is the best part nutritionally, so that's just fine with me. They don't always eat the whole egg yolk, but that's fine too. I usually finish it off for them later (but I don't eat the whites either).
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-10, 13:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 276/234.8/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I have a 3&4 and 1yr old, so I have lots of experience.

It would help if you gave a few more details. Are you doing any grains? Whole grain toast with natural peanutbutter, is a good protien breakfast. Also there are LOTS of ways to do eggs, burritos, casserole, scrambled, etc.... My kids LOVE homemade full fat yogurt, with berries. Also we do a lot of leftovers for breakfast...... What carb level are you striving for. Do your children have any allergies? I love sharing ideas and experiences.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-10, 14:47

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaS
Whole grain toast with natural peanutbutter, is a good protien breakfast.

My kids don't eat gluten, but when their grandmother lets them have gluten-free bread or grains such as rice, they rapidly start hating all other foods. Not a path I'd like to be on.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-10, 15:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 271/269/154 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:43.7/..../24.9
Progress: 2%

Might be fun to vary it occasionally and have things that aren't traditional breakfast foods for breakfast. We occasionally make pizzas with LC tortillas, sauce, cheese, and meat and veggies. I've eaten them for breakfast. Pizza for breakfast around my house is almost typical.

Also, they've decided they won't have another egg. Does that include omelettes with fun things in them? Scrambled eggs in breakfast burritos? Quiches?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-11-10, 13:59
On my way to goal

Thanks for the feedback, folks.

Nina, I used half your idea, Maggie Doodle had a scoop of peanut butter for breakfast, without the bread. One of my girls does not like bread, the other likes it too much, so we try to skip the bread.

The egg thing - as far as I can tell - they are against eggs in all forms! What can I say, they prefer variety. The used to eat sausage patties a lot, now they won't touch them. They did eat eggs quite frequently. Even with strawberries, their absolute favorite food, 2 or 3 days in a row and that's it.

They do eat full fat yogurt and apparently never tire of it. And, good suggestions about thinking outside of breakfast, I'm seeing chicken in store for tomorrow morning.

Again, thanks for your feedback.

- Casey
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-11-10, 16:43

Plan: loosely PB
Stats: 197/135/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Sounds like when you find something they like, you'd better never serve it every day.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 09:42

Plan: hunter-gatherer
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 5'6"
BF:breast feeding! ;)
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
My kids don't eat gluten, but when their grandmother lets them have gluten-free bread or grains such as rice, they rapidly start hating all other foods. Not a path I'd like to be on.

ah, i hate that path too! my daughter just scrambled her way into a pop tart from a cousin... I'm not looking forward to feeding her the rest of the day! darn it.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 09:24
On my way to goal

This thread has helped to think a little more creatively. Yesterday morning they had a handful of cashews, blackberries and strawberries, and a yogurt. They enjoyed all of it.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 15:55
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

My two-year-old suddenly decided he was against eggs after enjoying them for a long time (including eating yolk from a spoon early on). Bummer! He adores french toast, so that is one way I get some egg in. He also loves bacon. I've been thinking lately how I can reintroduce eggs and was thinking of trying a thin, crepe-style approach and maybe fill it with a yummy jam or something. Come to think of it, the last time I talked him into eggs for breakfast I made them like an omelet (unfilled) and he liked that.

BTW, in the fall I made some LC pumpkin muffins made with eggs and almond flour and he ate those without issue. So that might be another way to go...maybe some LC-friendly muffins, with whole, natural foods like almond flour, honey, eggs, etc.?

As for yogurt and fruit, that works for me! I tried to sell blackberries this morning because that's what Peter Rabbit's sisters pick and eat...but he wasn't willing to go there yet. At least he like blueberries and strawberries!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-10, 22:15

Plan: lacto-ovo moderate carb
Stats: 163/147/141 Female 5 ft 5 "
BF:
Progress: 73%

My son just turned 2.5. We've started giving him scrambled eggs with 2 yolks and 1 egg-white.
He has that and 1 cup of yoghurt (plain, home-made) for breakfast.

There's a slightly different type of scrambled egg that we make (its my mom's recipe - mom does not have eggs but used to make yummy egg dishes for us when we were kids) - maybe you all know it already.
Boil about quarter cup of milk, add the raw egg and a little sugar (quarter to half teaspoon) and a pinch of cardamom powder. Stir on low heat until required consistency of thickness/lumps. Then cool and add a dash of lemon juice, just a dash. My son likes this.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-01-10, 14:16
On my way to goal

Quote:
BTW, in the fall I made some LC pumpkin muffins made with eggs and almond flour and he ate those without issue. So that might be another way to go...maybe some LC-friendly muffins, with whole, natural foods like almond flour, honey, eggs, etc.?

An excellent idea Lisa. I think I'll try these this weekend.

Quote:
As for yogurt and fruit, that works for me! I tried to sell blackberries this morning because that's what Peter Rabbit's sisters pick and eat...but he wasn't willing to go there yet. At least he like blueberries and strawberries!

My girls generally love all the berries (except when they don't!) - I just wish they weren't so expensive right now!