Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Mon, Aug-31-09, 16:27

Plan: Carnivorous
Stats: 183/131/138 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Our study, which tested theories and predictions about the nature of parent-offspring conflict in human pregnancy, shows that nausea and vomiting in pregnancy is beneficial by expelling such foods as meat and strong-tasting vegetables that historically and still may contain harmful toxins and microorganisms that could potentially sicken the woman and damage her fetus just when its organs are developing and are most vulnerable to chemicals," said Sherman, who is an expert in Darwinian medicine -- viewing diseases from an evolutionary perspective.

Thanks for the link, but this makes no sense to me. We evolved on meat. Why would that be the primary suspect? I personally feel sickest when I eat refined sugar or fruit, although avoiding those foods hasn't made me feel well, either.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Mon, Aug-31-09, 16:49

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 270/210/150 Female 65 inches
BF:50?/VERY/22
Progress: 50%

I agree that the meat and veggies causing vomiting b/c the "might" be toxic makes no sense, BUT, maybe the constant nausea/heightened sense of smell make you more likely to upchuck something that was slightly off, or just SO picky about what you try to eat that you only get the freshest most appealing nutrient dense foods available.

I also feel worst on carby crap, but, ironically that is the only thing that seems appealing once I am feeling crappy unless I really work hard to focus on something healthy and convince myself otherwise. I would love to know if women who grew up eating hunter gatherer style (and their mothers before them) actually have nausea regularly in their pregnancies or if it is a modern thing from generations of screwing up our genes with grains, etc... I know it is a hormonal thing and obvioulsly they would need the same hormones to carry a baby, but maybe they were not affected the same way. It just doesn't make sense to me evolutionarily speaking.
  #63   ^
Old Thu, Sep-03-09, 23:08

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 189/187/124 Female 60.75 inches
BF:
Progress: 3%

Hi, ladies. I'd love to join you!

Just a quick intro:
I gained back 40 lbs in 2 months (yes, two!) after having lost 68 with atkins, never could lose it with anything again (granted, I didn't try atkins again). I did SBD, CAD/CALP, blahblahblah.

Now I'm pregnant with #2 (due 02/21 so I'm almost 16 wks) and am still breastfeeding my 19 month old big boy. I'm thinking of doing LC during this pregnancy. Since I'm 5'1" and started at 168, I figure I can gain about 20 lbs and be alright. I'd prefer not to gain anything but we all know how that is!

I know I'm eating way too much sugar. Last pg I ate anything; I was within 5 points of not passing my GTT. I don't want extra weight gain.
I gained 36 lbs with my son. Granted, I lost all the preggo weight but never lost anything else. Sigh.

So how do you guys handle it? The only things I seem to be craving are dairy and fruit.
  #64   ^
Old Mon, Jan-18-10, 23:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 231.4/231.4/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Anyone want to refresh this thread with me?
I am 4 weeks 1 day pregnant with baby #4 and am planning on low carbing it as much as I can! I am looking forward to a much healthier pregnancy, labor and delivery than my previous 3!
Anyone else out there still in their 1st trimester?
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 09:34

Plan: hunter-gatherer
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 5'6"
BF:breast feeding! ;)

hi there! congrats on your pregnancy! I am not pregnant right now, but have a 3 yr old, and will be trying for #2 in August. How are you feeling so far?
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 10:19
Registered Member

Stats: 231.4/231.4/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

I'm feeling pretty good! Its still early, but I'm cramping like usual, and have been having headaches (hormones) and also my lower back has been hurting! Oh, yeah and I started breaking out on my forehead and the left side of my face! Despite all this, I'm SOO excited! I hope you get pregnant in August! Good luck!
  #67   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-10, 16:47

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 189/187/124 Female 60.75 inches
BF:
Progress: 3%

I'm not preggo anymore (new baby is 6 weeks old) but want to lose baby weight plus some. I have 5 lbs to go until pre-preg weight but have about 45 lbs to lose after that.

I want to start next pregnancy at goal. We're going to try for #3 (a girl this time, please!) in Aug/Sep 2011.
  #68   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-10, 09:35
Registered Member

Plan: LC,IF
Stats: 306/237/160 Female 68''
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Would love to share my journey :)

I've recently found out I'm expecting baby #3 and am about 5 wks at the minute. I want this to be my first LC pregnancy and would love to share all the ups and no doubt many downs that are coming I've been pretty naughty this past week and the constant hunger and fatigue have driven me to carb binge...but I'm determined to get back on track
  #69   ^
Old Sun, May-23-10, 12:20

Stats: 228/156/140 Female 66 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 82%

soo glad to of found this thread!
We plan on getting pregnant again and needed a thread like this!
Good to see someones dr recommend 40-60 carbs a day during pregnancy!
  #70   ^
Old Sun, May-23-10, 15:17

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

OK, time for me to join this thread, we are 5 weeks pregnant and this is first time for both of us. I've been LC since November, and close to 100% carnivore for the past 3 months. I never lost any weight until I quit taking antidepressant meds, but my health did show amazing and drastic improvement.

I've now added in some carbs in the form of yogurt, some fruits/vegetables, and have added some cheese in as well. The biggest change in my eating habits so far has been going from eating 5-6 times a week to 5-6 times a day... going too long on an empty stomach caused me severe nausea, before and after I ate, not a place I want to be again!

EDIT: OK, so i've found most of the answers i was looking for... it appears that ketosis during pregnancy (something I thought may be of concern) is just as normal as ketosis when not pregnant, and that at even 50 carbs a day I may stay in it! (but i still need to increase from my daily calories from what they were) ... Now I just hope my OB will be agreeable with my WOE!

Last edited by mfish : Sun, May-23-10 at 16:45.
  #71   ^
Old Mon, May-24-10, 08:32

Plan: hunter-gatherer
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 5'6"
BF:breast feeding! ;)

congrats ladies!! i will be trying for baby # 2 in August........... can't wait! All the little babies at the playground are making my ovaries ache! lol