Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jul-21-09, 15:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 161/151.8/127 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredangel
Oh, I nursed my babies until they were three. Once they could walk, they'd come up to me, pull up my shirt, pull out my boob, nurse for a few seconds and then walk away. My husband called it "pulling a drive by." After the first year or so it's more for comfort than nutrition, but it sure beats juice or milk out of a sippy cup. I remember one time nursing my youngest in McDonalds or Chuck E Cheese or some place where you can let your kids run wild when she was around 2, and there were a few grandmas there who were SO supportive of nursing a toddler. I guess it used to be far more common.

GOOD JOB MAMA!!! my son is only 11 weeks but i am going to nurse until he weans himself. i absolutley LOVE the nursing relationship. i had no idea the bond iy formed. my MIL was in town for a few wekks and she wanted my husband and i to go out so she could babysit. my son had never taken a bottle so we tried one night. (of course filled with breast milk.) it affected me in such a way to se her feeding him. i litterally started cryong and had to stop her!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jul-21-09, 15:49
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen H
The expects who measure this sort of thing found that women all over the world, on all sorts of different diets, even ones in famine conditions, produce almost exactly the same amount of milk. It tends to be lowest fat in the evening so your baby will have to suck for longer to get the same calories, and highest in the middle of the night.

If you have a problem with supply, it's almost certainly not your diet, it's much more likely to be due to a poor latch, or simply not letting the baby spend enough time on the breast.

thanks for the info!
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jul-21-09, 16:55

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 235/175/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica78
GOOD JOB MAMA!!! my son is only 11 weeks but i am going to nurse until he weans himself. i absolutley LOVE the nursing relationship. i had no idea the bond iy formed. my MIL was in town for a few wekks and she wanted my husband and i to go out so she could babysit. my son had never taken a bottle so we tried one night. (of course filled with breast milk.) it affected me in such a way to se her feeding him. i litterally started cryong and had to stop her!

Awwwwww! The bond IS amazing. It really does make you feel like Mom. I found the best pump, if you can stand to see other people feed in in time (there were times I really appreciated the break) is the Avent Isis. It's a comfortable manual and can be operated with one hand, and I would pump one side while nursing on the other to have a bottle on hand.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-09, 08:02

Stats: 276/234.8/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I have been taking alfalfa tablets for the last two weeks, and they have definitly increased my milk supply. good to know about milk thistle.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jul-23-09, 08:24

Plan: Paleo? Real Foods
Stats: 215/190/135 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 31%

*aching w/jealousy* The bond you have with them cannot be described! I nursed my ds until he was about 2 1/2 when I started to just know he wasn't that baby who needed me like that. One day at nap time as we prepared for nursing I gently said, "are you 'bout done with this?" he nodded his head rolled over and went to sleep. I quietly left the room crying but so thankful for all that I had.

I get so sad when I hear women take for granted the privilege of feeding their babies for something as futile as vanity (what it might do to their shape) or "convenience" (so dad can feed them - like that will happen more than once or twice to 99% of them lol) though we know the most convenient thing is to nurse.

Good words about pumping on the opposite side while nursing then switching sides like normal and continue pumping and nursing, that way the "pumped" milk gets the thinner more carb 'blend at the beginning and the richer fattier 'blend at the end like normal. God forbid you need to lol
Keep up the good work and spread the news every chance you get!!

I will remember about the alfalfa tabs
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jul-24-09, 04:07

Plan: hunter-gatherer
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 5'6"
BF:breast feeding! ;)
Progress: 0%

fenugreek tea is also meant to help increase supply, and I think Yogi tea makes a blend for nursing mothers, not sure how effective it was, but tasted delicious!

Oh, I am nursing an almost 3yr old right now! she will be 3 in November-- my goal was to make it 2, and then try child-led weaning. It is mostly for nutrition at this point. If she's hurt or really tired she might nurse too, but it rounds out her diet nicely. she is sensitive to cows milk, so mama's milk it is!!
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Jul-24-09, 06:30
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjo3
*aching w/jealousy* The bond you have with them cannot be described! I nursed my ds until he was about 2 1/2 when I started to just know he wasn't that baby who needed me like that. One day at nap time as we prepared for nursing I gently said, "are you 'bout done with this?" he nodded his head rolled over and went to sleep. I quietly left the room crying but so thankful for all that I had.

I get so sad when I hear women take for granted the privilege of feeding their babies for something as futile as vanity (what it might do to their shape) or "convenience" (so dad can feed them - like that will happen more than once or twice to 99% of them lol) though we know the most convenient thing is to nurse.

Good words about pumping on the opposite side while nursing then switching sides like normal and continue pumping and nursing, that way the "pumped" milk gets the thinner more carb 'blend at the beginning and the richer fattier 'blend at the end like normal. God forbid you need to lol
Keep up the good work and spread the news every chance you get!!

I will remember about the alfalfa tabs

your story brought a tear to my eye!! i am already sad about the thought of this.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jul-24-09, 12:21

Stats: 276/234.8/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Oh, sorry forgot to say I am breastfeeding my third and she is almost 6mo.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-09, 17:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, Nursing Mom
Stats: 215/215/140 Female 5'4
BF:Too much!
Default lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredangel
Oh, I nursed my babies until they were three. Once they could walk, they'd come up to me, pull up my shirt, pull out my boob, nurse for a few seconds and then walk away. My husband called it "pulling a drive by." After the first year or so it's more for comfort than nutrition, but it sure beats juice or milk out of a sippy cup. I remember one time nursing my youngest in McDonalds or Chuck E Cheese or some place where you can let your kids run wild when she was around 2, and there were a few grandmas there who were SO supportive of nursing a toddler. I guess it used to be far more common.

Sorry for ant typos as NAK

I'm smiling. My 2.5 year old does the same thing...my DH smiles....great way to disconcert the MIL :-0

I am tandem nursing...8 mo old and 2.5 year old.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Sep-01-09, 15:38

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 330/330/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:

hello fellow nursing low carb moms. I am going back to atkins induction tomorrow and so excited. My daughter is 2 yrs 4 mos old and still nurses. I love the article someone posted a page back about the weaning age of 2.5 yrs to 7 yrs being comparable to animals who nurse. I have read plenty of books that say the same.

Did you know the babys first set of teeth are called the "milk teeth", those teeth dont start falling out till about age 5 or 6 and I am quite certain that when they get the adult teeth is when they should be done nursing. (but ill admit i dont want to nurse till that age and i hope my daughter is ready to quit by age 3..lol) We live in a strange society.

Just think about this..there are so many people who don't realize low carb eating is the REAL way to eat, just like many don't realize nursing a child is supposed to last for YEARS, not months. oh well..thats the world we live in. I love the fact that anyone who wants to can RESEARCH and find out the truth! yay!

looking forward to be back on low carb again and hope i stick to it all the through this time.

i am not at all concerned about my milk supply dropping..the key is making sure you get enough calories and FAT! if your calories are too low on ANY diet..the milk supply can drop...honestly..with breastfeeding you should eat atleast 2,000 cals per day. Count your carbs...dont go low calorie while breastfeeding..you make end up lacking in vitamins and minerals..and your supply may drop..so WHY? thats what is great about low carb..you can eat 2,000 cals a day and LOSE weight if you keep the carbs low!!