Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-12, 19:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/208.8/154 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default New here

I've been on Atkins maintenance for my pregnancy, then found my son has a dairy allergy. I discovered paleo and have been eating without fruit. I am really interested in paleo exercise, sleep, and other facets of the lifestyle.

I read wolfs book, marks daily apple, and Nom Nom paleo.

Any beginner advice? How do you find a co-op?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-12, 10:05

Plan: Paleo Diet
Stats: 273/256/165 Female 70.5
BF:
Progress: 16%

Hi Katzue, I recently started paleo at the beginning of this month (have done atkins in the past).

I started by reading a few books and then started by eating organic chicken and using recipes online.

Anyway here is a link: http://www.eatwild.com/

You can find a grass-fed and healthy meat/eggs in your area.

A lot paleos like cross-fit type exercise (cardio/weight training). You will notice a definite spike in your energy levels and you'll want to do more naturally. You are smart to cut out fruit, I have done the same and have zero sugar cravings because of it.

Sleep is normal, you might not need as much. Also, I've noticed I'm never hungry anymore which I thought was a bad thing but turns out the diet itself just keeps you so satiated that sometimes I forget to eat almost for a day and still lose weight.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-12, 07:16

Plan: Primal/whole 30
Stats: 208/179/158 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI 27,goal 25
Progress: 58%

I am still kind of a beginner, too. My favorite resources have been, "it starts with food" the book and the whole9 blog. Also the blog "clothes make the girl" and her well fed cookbook, my kids have loved all her recipes,especially the chocolate chili.

I have read all the other books you have listed as well except for wolfe's book, I read paleo answer instead.

Good luck on the new lifestyle!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-12, 16:00

Plan: My own
Stats: 340/340/180 Female 5' 10"
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 0%

I am not new to LC but I am new to Paleo. Working my way through the book and have been making the transition as I am starting a strict 30 days on September 1 (maybe sooner if the transition goes quicker).

I have come to realize that I need to take time and re-learn how to cook, as in my past LC lives my intake has revolved heavily around dairy. I am sure it will take some getting used to but being healthier is why I am making the change. Weight loss will be a welcome bonus.

Wishing you well on your journey!

Nicole
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-12, 12:35

Plan: Fatty meat
Stats: 135/135/135 Male 166
BF:11%
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzue
Any beginner advice?
Yes. Don't think that you must only eat the best organic, wild or pastured meats etc. Do what is within reason in your situation. If it's simply weightloss that you want, then you can achieve that whether your foods are organic or not.
We are not exactly spoiled for choice in our area. When we see good quality food that we can afford, we buy it but at other times, we just make do with what is available.
Don't let food quality become an obsession.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-12, 09:49

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Mark's two Primal books and Robb Wolf cover the other non-food aspects, like sleep and exercise, best. Have you found all of Mark's videos on how to start primal exercises on the website? How to do a push-up starting with a wall if you can't get to the floor, etc. His complete program is so sensible. There are now so many paleo cookbooks and recipe websites, seems a new one every day. Tomorrow Practical Paleo will be released, which will have a section on menu plans for various Health needs. Heard the author's interview with Sean Croxton and Jimmy Moore...it looks a good one. I have found much detailed info from listening to podcasts, or watching all the YouTube videos from Ancestral Health Symposium.
I agree about not worrying about the food quality overly much. Our Trader Joe's here in NC had the most delicious Oregon blueberries this week for a great price, I sourced locally when I could, but these were too wonderful to pass up. A co-op can be a big commitment, you may want to start with Farmer's markets first until you get to know your local farmers.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Aug-06-12 at 10:02.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-12, 04:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren D
Yes. Don't think that you must only eat the best organic, wild or pastured meats etc. Do what is within reason in your situation. If it's simply weightloss that you want, then you can achieve that whether your foods are organic or not.
We are not exactly spoiled for choice in our area. When we see good quality food that we can afford, we buy it but at other times, we just make do with what is available.
Don't let food quality become an obsession.

This was so helpful . I started feeling a lot of guilt if I'd eat out and feta grilled steak and green beans and oil because of the lack of food quality. I had to realize that I'm making good choices and sometimes I'm going to be out to eat!!!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-14, 00:11

BF:

Sincerely interested in Paleo, after much weight gain and failure.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-14, 05:16

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome back, Katzue!
We are here to help you get back on track. Staying on this forum, or having some type of support that works for you, like a friend or a local meeting, is a good start. Though probably the strongest motivation for me is that my health deteriorates if I eat wheat and too much sugar. Skin rashes, arthritis, etc. come back if I push Mark Sisson's 80-20 rule too much away from clean primal eating.

Are your stats correct? Which plan do you want to follow. Are you willing to start off very low carb? In the past two years, So so many new Paleo books and websites and recipe blogs by the hundreds. Check out PaleoParents and ThePaleoMom for help with juggling your time and food for the little ones, also search Pinterest for any Paleo recipe you could ask for, great kid ideas there.
Back in 2011 my library had two Paleo books, now they have dozens I can refer people to.

Let us know how we can help you, all the best,

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Nov-30-14 at 07:27.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-14, 11:17

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Check out the forums on Mark's Daily Apple. They provide the same sort of virtual social support as this forum, but the focus is on paleo/primal.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-14, 12:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Welcome back, Katzue!
We are here to help you get back on track. Staying on this forum, or having some type of support that works for you, like a friend or a local meeting, is a good start. Though probably the strongest motivation for me is that my health deteriorates if I eat wheat and too much sugar. Skin rashes, arthritis, etc. come back if I push Mark Sisson's 80-20 rule too much away from clean primal eating.

Are your stats correct? Which plan do you want to follow. Are you willing to start off very low carb? In the past two years, So so many new Paleo books and websites and recipe blogs by the hundreds. Check out PaleoParents and ThePaleoMom for help with juggling your time and food for the little ones, also search Pinterest for any Paleo recipe you could ask for, great kid ideas there.
Back in 2011 my library had two Paleo books, now they have dozens I can refer people to.

Let us know how we can help you, all the best,

Thank you so much for your replies!

I am very willing to do Paleo VLC. I had great luck with Paleo while I nursed my second son (with allergies to milk, soy & gluten) back in 2012-2013. When my son stopped, I started eating "healthy" grains, soy, legumes & dairy again.

I've learned by trial & error that what I previously thought as "healthy" is detrimental to my body. I do well with Paleo, and I am not sure why I keep telling myself that "trying this diet" will work, other than prolonging my symptoms of IBS, migraines, and weight gain!!!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-27-15, 03:23

Plan: LC Paleo
Stats: 316/275/196 Male 72 Inches
BF:41%
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzue
I've been on Atkins maintenance for my pregnancy, then found my son has a dairy allergy. I discovered paleo and have been eating without fruit. I am really interested in paleo exercise, sleep, and other facets of the lifestyle.

I read wolfs book, marks daily apple, and Nom Nom paleo.

Any beginner advice? How do you find a co-op?

Hi Katzu - I am also from Atkins background looking to start Paleo - im looking for help on this too. Good luck in your quest!