Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-17-01, 13:42
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile

hi everybody,

Some years ago, I ate a most delicious stuffed Arctic Char at a restaurant in Edmonton, Alberta. I've tried to imitate it at home; of course Arctic Char is hard to come by here in southeastern Ontario, so I've adapted to use what's cheap and available. I make this recipe every now and then, and love it so much; it finally dawned on me to share with my lowcarbing friends. So here's my recipe, and a few more ideas following. Enjoy!!

SMOKY-STUFFED FISH ROLLS

1 lb sole fillets, or any skinless thin flat fillets, whitefish, tilapia, flounder, trout, etc.
4 strips meaty smoked bacon
1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
1/2 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
1 Tbsp chopped pickled capers
1 can, 85 gm, smoked oysters, drained and chopped
good pinch dried thyme, and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
splash of balsamic vinegar
chopped fresh parsley to garnish
============================================

- rinse fish, pat dry with paper towels and set aside
- cook bacon till crisp, drain on paper towels, chop finely and set aside.
- remove all but a couple tsp bacon fat from pan; saute onion and sweet pepper till soft but not brown. Add remaining ingredients, plus chopped bacon, stir and saute till flavours are blended.
-preheat oven to 350. Butter a flat 8- or 9-inch casserole dish. Place a scoop of the filling on each fillet of fish; roll up like a jelly-roll. Place seam side down in the buttered dish. You may use toothpicks to secure if you wish.
- bake at 350 for 15 to 18 minutes, or till fillets flake easily with a fork. Serve with chopped fresh parsley, and enjoy!!

CARBS - for whole recipe - 11.9 minus 3.2 fiber = 8.7 total

***** IDEAS ******

- I suppose this could be made as a simple layered dish. Place a layer of fish fillets in bottom of buttered dish, spread over the smoked oyster-bacon filling, then another layer of fish. Dribble with melted butter or olive oil and bake, probably the same time, maybe a bit less.

- stuff a whole fish - I made this once for a barbecue, it was a HUGE hit. Clean and dress your favourite whole fish, about 3 or 4 lbs. Whitefish, salmon, pickerel, whatever. Double the filling recipe. Stuff the fish, and tie shut. I wrapped in foil, and cooked on the barbecue for 1/2 hour, turning part way. I opened the foil after turning to get the smoky barbecue aroma, and to make the skin crispy. YUM!!

LEFTOVERS - if there are any - this is delicious cold. I put a cold roll on a bed of Mesclun mixed baby Greens, and flaked a bit with a fork. Topped with a chopped green onion (scallion), a few thinly sliced radishes, and this dressing - 1 Tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice, 1 Tbsp canola oil, few dots toasted sesame oil, 1 tsp tamari soy sauce, sprinkle of Splenda, a pinch of powdered ginger. Shake in a small jar, and pour over fish. Enjoy. less than 4 carbs total.

Doreen
p.s. - yes it's posted on the Recipe webpage http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/seafood107.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-17-01, 19:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up

oh doreen, that sounds delicous. the oysters and bacon would make a terrific combination. my mouth was watering while i was reading your recipe. i will try it soon.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 18:56
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

This is an old post, and an old recipe ... but it's still a favourite of mine.

I just made this tonight, using a can of smoked MUSSELS instead of oysters. Mussels are lower in carbs than oysters ... 1.4g for the can, instead of 6.5g. I also added a tsp of chipotle pepper purée. Incredible smoky taste

Total carbs 6.1g / 3.2 fiber = 2.9g ECC for the recipe.

Enjoy

Doreen