Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Our Website > Test
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-10-00, 13:28

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Excuse my ignorance but would anybody be nice enough to let me know what are those pork rinds? Where do you get those? How expensive is it?

I'm new to this whole Atkins/WOL thing and still trying to get organize to start it.

Thanks,
Lyne
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-10-00, 13:58

Plan:
Stats: 175/140/130
BF:
Progress:
Default pork rinds

They are made from pork skin and are o carbs if you eat the plain ones. I have a whole long post on pork rinds info if you want me to mail it to you. Maybe it is here on the web site.
NNN
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-10-00, 14:03
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Talking

Hi Lyne,

Glad you joined us, and feel free to ask the Atkins gurus (affectionatly known as Atkids) here about the Atkins diet.

NNN, I think I can read your mind Did you mean this article??

http://www.lowcarber.org/articles/article163.html

Wa'il
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-10-00, 14:22

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the article. It put some lights onto my questions. Now, where do you buy them in Canada? Gocery stores, I presume?? Are they widely available?

Sorry, I've never seen them.

Lyne
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-10-00, 14:38
Forum Founder

Oops, forgot about that. It depends on your location I guess. Here's a way to find out. Click on the "Shopping" button on the menu bar above. Then, you'll see the abbriviation of all provinces. Click on your province, and it will show all the data we received from our users on where to find things in each province.

Wa'il
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-10-00, 16:26

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

I'm in BC (Vancouver area).

I've been to the shopping area and couldn't find any info on those rinds, the reason for posting here.

Cheers,
Lyne
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-10-00, 16:43
Forum Founder

I'm in Vancouver too I've seen them at some Safeways, made by Old Dutch. They're no displayed prominantly, and may not be always in stock, so it might be a good idea to ask for them if you can't find them.

Wa'il
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-10-00, 17:50
Forum Founder

Oops! I forgot to mention our "Chain Stores" section as well, I just found out that IGA is reported as carrying pork rinds!

Wa'il
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-10-00, 18:44
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile re : pork rinds

Hi Lyne, and welcome aboard,

I'm in Ontario, but the availability of pork rinds (they're great, and very versatile, by the way) across the whole country is spotty at best. Specific chains do not carry them, as far as I've seen. You need to ask the grocery manager at your favourite store; trust me if they get bugged enough, they WILL start to stock an item.

I've heard different folks across the country say that IGA has them. My brother lives in a small town, (ONT) pop. 3,500. His local IGA has Porky's brand for 99cents a bag. In my town, Kingston ONT, pop. 110,000, the local IGA does NOT carry pork rinds. I have found them locally at Shopper's Drug Mart, Ol' Grandad's brand for $1.79 for a 71 gram bag. My local No Frills store has them, same brand, same price. I have not found them locally at any other major grocery store. I saw a teensy bag of Porky's brand at a Quikkie corner variety store, they wanted $1.69 for a tiny bag.

A suggestion - if you live in a community that has a large Asian population, especially Vietnamese and Indonesian, you will find pork rinds in an ethnic store or market - they are very popular snack food in southeasst Asia. Our local Asian market was destroyed in a fire: haven't been to the new one that just opened, but the old one had fresh, fresh fried pork rinds available, all the time. Pick yourself up some yakidofu while you're at it (deep fried tofu pockets, great for stuffing, and lowcarb too).

'bye, and good luck,
from Doreen

[Edited by doreen T on 10-11-00 at 19:50]
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Nov-10-00, 19:18

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Default Where to buy porkrinds or skins

Bulkbarns in Canada usually have them. I live in Nova Scotia and our Bulk Barns carry them. They are called Porky's Pork Puffs. The plain ones are in a yellow plastic bag. The first time I went looking and asked the clerk she said no they did not carry them but since I read it here on this web site for lowcarb I knew that they did. I checked every shelf and found them! They were up high.
Good luck
Norma
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Nov-10-00, 20:05

Plan:
Stats: 242/228/160
BF:
Progress:

Hi Lyne!
About a week ago I was in the same boat as you are now... I heard all about them, but didn't know what they were, and what they looked like, and where to find them!
Last weekend I went grocery shopping at Superstore (Metrotown location) and they had them there, in the Pop/Chips Isle. I got plain flavored, and bbq. I don't know how to describe what they look like... they are all puffed up, and look like they really should be in the chips isle... anyways, I got the PC brand, 99cents (I think) for a bag of 80/90 grms. I would recomend the BBQ flavor. They have 0.9 carbs per 18 pork rinds... and I don't know about anybody else, but I couldn't even eat half of that for a snack.. they are filling!
So try out Superstore, and your sure to find them!
Good luck!
Kim in Burnaby
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Nov-13-00, 16:18

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Thank you all for your help. I think I have enough info to find them now. Next time I go to Superstore or T&T (Asian supermarket), I'll look for them.

This board is great.

Cheers,
Lyne
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-21-00, 05:18

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up Pork Rinds

Hi to all!
I am new to this site as of to-day and have been low carbing for 1 year now and lost 32 lbs. Great way of eating.
Here in my area I can buy pork rinds at Wal-Mart for 97cents a bag. Just ask your manager of your local Wal-Mart to get them for you. They are called PORKY'S and are put out by Trophy Foods Inc. from Calgary Al. and Mississauga, Ont.
Hope everyone can find them They are great.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Nov-25-00, 20:49

Plan:
Stats: 334//150
BF:
Progress:
Pork rinds are the fried skin shavings of pigs. They are cheap, crunchy and a great alternative to potato chips. They are zero carb...but watch out...some companies spice them up with all kinds of carb-rich crud, and that ruins the whole purpose of buying and eating them. Although I am struggling with my LC WOE right now, pork rinds have been one saving grace for me.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Nov-25-00, 21:00

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Default Ye old pork rinds

Just wondering if anyone found them in a Super Store in Nova Scotia s I have been buying Porky's at Bulk Barns but wouldn't mind the PC ones.
NNN