Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-07, 15:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 148/141.6/130 Female 63.5
BF:
Progress: 36%

I just threw out the batch I made of the Rev Rolls. They were FLAT as pancakes! What do you think went wrong? I found a picture of them and they are supposed to be like hamburger rolls! Maybe I didn't whip the egg whites stiff enough...
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-07, 15:18

Plan: no fake foods lo-0 carbs
Stats: 200/160/130 Female 5'2"
BF:goal 25%
Progress: 57%
Default please don't take this wrong!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico78
I'm curious about what I could use instead of the tartar sauce, an alternative... just mayo maybe?
I am so sorry but I am laughing so hard right now...I love people who don't bake much...Kay answered your ? ...you can find it in the spice area of the store.... it is what they usually add baking soda to turn it in to baking powder, so things rise.... it is an acid like vinegar so when you mix it with soda and add liquid you get a chemical reaction that bubbles like baking soda and vinegar hence the "rise"
it also stabilizes egg whites so the don't fall, like in meringue cookies
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-07, 16:41

Plan: General LC
Stats: 00/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

There are a few threads goign here about rev rolls. I make a batch for the week every Sunday and use them as burger buns, with chicken/tuna salad, with melted butter/cinnamon/Splenda....lots of ways to use them. I keep them in the fridge in a ziplock bag with holes in it. Couldn't live without them! Oh, and I use 3T sour cream instead of the ricotta or cream cheese.
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-07, 17:01
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Quote:
They were FLAT as pancakes! What do you think went wrong?

Well, for one thing, the original ones taste like ground glass to me. I haven't made them in over 35 years, and don't know what the newer recipes taste like. Maybe they are better. I just can't forget making them in the early 1970's and ALWAYS throwing them out.

Now if I really want something bread-like for sandwiches or buns, I buy Nature's Own Double Fiber bread. Or I rely on a fellow forum member (Treefrog) in my neighborhood who makes a really wonderful oatmeal/flax bread which stays fresh in a bread wrapper in the fridge for at least a month.

It's amazing how long memory is....the idea of the original rev rolls still makes me cringe. But as always, your mileage may vary.

Kay
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Mar-12-07, 04:39

Plan: Atkins mostly
Stats: 191/175.7/132 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitydkn
I am so sorry but I am laughing so hard right now...I love people who don't bake much...Kay answered your ? ...you can find it in the spice area of the store.... it is what they usually add baking soda to turn it in to baking powder, so things rise.... it is an acid like vinegar so when you mix it with soda and add liquid you get a chemical reaction that bubbles like baking soda and vinegar hence the "rise"
it also stabilizes egg whites so the don't fall, like in meringue cookies

Laugh ahead, it's ok
I just never heard before of cream of tartar! I checked the spice section but nothing there, I don't think it's very used here as ingredient...
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Mar-12-07, 10:12

Plan: no fake foods lo-0 carbs
Stats: 200/160/130 Female 5'2"
BF:goal 25%
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico78
Laugh ahead, it's ok
I just never heard before of cream of tartar! I checked the spice section but nothing there, I don't think it's very used here as ingredient...
it is white..you might ask at a bakery to see if it called by a different name there

found this somewhere else
Quote:
Cream of Tartar is definitely vinsten and you can get it from Apoteket
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Mar-13-07, 05:43

Plan: Atkins mostly
Stats: 191/175.7/132 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Oh thank you so much Unitydkn!!
Apoteket is the pharmacy here.... no wonder then it couldn't be found in the normal stores!! But wow, you have been super-helpful!!!!
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Apr-10-07, 16:03

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

I just made these today. They are a little soggy and now that they are out of the oven-FLAT. Maybe I didn't beat the whites long enough. I was afraid I'd beat them TOO long and they'd go back to a soupy nastiness mess. I'll try again though. They aren't bad, I just expected more. Good with some cream cheese and splenda on top
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-07, 13:05

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

I wonder if you can fold in a little shredded cheese..
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-07, 17:10

Plan: atkins, protein power
Stats: 230/137/130 Female 5'3"
BF:29%
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lueezeee
I found this recipe today... has anyone made these???

Ingredients:
  • 3 large eggs, separated
  • 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 3 Tablespoons cottage cheese (or 3 1/2 tbsp ricotta)
  • 2 packets Splenda
Preheat oven to 300°F.

Separate eggs very carefully (make sure NONE of the yolk gets into the white.) Spray PAM on a Teflon cookie sheet. Use an electric beater to beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff (but not dry). Mix egg yolks, cottage cheese and Splenda (or Sugar Twin) in separate bowl. Fold yolk-mixture carefully into egg whites being sure not to break down fragile whites - mix no longer than 1 minute. Place the mixture carefully on the cookie sheet, gently putting one tablespoon on top of another until it is two (2) inches in height. Repeat until you have 6 little "pillows". Place the cookie sheet in the oven and bake for 35-55 minutes (depending on your firmness preference.)

Makes 6 rolls. 1 carb per serving.

I make these, triple the recipe, but I use 4 eggs instead of 3 (for triple recipe that's a dozen eggs), and mayo instead of the ricotta, and I make 2 versions, one plain with splenda which I use for French Toast and sweeter things--like sprayed with David Burke sprays, and a savory one which I add garlic powder, onion powder, a little flaxmeal and sprinkle with cheese (sometimes add parmesan, can type) I don't make it sweet with splenda, but a little splenda sometimes.

The trick is to have room temperature eggs.

And to make sure there is no yolk in the egg whites.

And to wipe the bowl and beater with vinegar on a paper towel.

And to beat the eggs long enough.\

And to CAREFULLY fold in the egg yolk mixture into the whites. I fold in a bit of whites into the yolks and mix, then do the reverse and fold with a spoonula only about 6-8 folds each addition (2X's)

I make 6 in pammed muffin top pans, piling high, and the rest in a jelly roll pan which I line with parchment.

Try this method.

Also these taste better the day after, and cold.

I love the french toast. Especially.

And burgers! With the savory type.
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-07, 08:49
Registered Member

Stats: 222/220/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 4%

Forgive me if this is a repeat question, but are they induction friendly?

Jules
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-07, 22:01

Plan: Low carb and clean eating
Stats: 355/277/180 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I have low carb'ed on and off since 2000. Trying to stick to it this time, but it's tough. I LOVE bread. I LOVE sandwiches. What amazes me is that in the seven years I've been LCing, I've only tried the rev rolls recipe ONCE. Mine turned out as flat as pancakes. And I did not like the taste. But the next day, they tasted pretty good. So I'm not sure why I never tried to make these again. Until now. They are SO good. Yes, mine are still a little flattish... gotta experiment a bit getting those whites at their peaks. But I absolutely love this recipe. It will definitely be something I make in batches every weekend to be consumed over the coming week.

BTW, I made mine with Helman's mayo, using 3 tbs to replace the cottage cheese/cream cheese/whatever.
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-18, 21:11

Stats: 245/184/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Atkins cabbage lasagna

Hi,

Would someone share the recipe for cabbage lasagna that I believe was in a now out of print Atkins cookbook that was published sometime in the 1970's?

The old Atkins cookbooks I have found in used book outlets recently do not include this recipe.

Many thanks,

Chosee
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-18, 21:43

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosee
Hi,

Would someone share the recipe for cabbage lasagna that I believe was in a now out of print Atkins cookbook that was published sometime in the 1970's?

The old Atkins cookbooks I have found in used book outlets recently do not include this recipe.

Many thanks,

Chosee

I checked my edition of Dr. Atkins' Diet Cookbook (published in 1974), and did not see a recipe for cabbage lasagna. However, there is what looks to be a nice recipe for cabbage rolls stuffed with ground beef. Is that the recipe you remember?

Otherwise, check out this section for all manner of lasagna-type dishes. Just do a "find" on your computer for the word "pasta".

check here for "lasagna" type dishes using ground meat.
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 06:00

Stats: 245/184/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:
Progress:

Thank you for checking your 1974 cookbook. I will try to get my hands on a copy of it so that I can try the cabbage rolls recipe you noted. Alibris.com is usually a good source for the old Atkins' cookbooks.

The step by step "low carb" lasagna recipe shown in this video looks delicious, but there is no indication of the total carbs per serving, so it will have to wait until I reach the maintenance phase:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2h3w2CVAOY

For now, I will just try one or more of the variations on the old Diet Revolution Rolls recipe listed in this thread and hope for the best.