Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-18, 09:50
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 186/161/160 Female 5'8''
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default Low Carb "whole wheat" yeast bread

Wheat Bread

Note: Because these breads have no preservatives, be sure to keep them in the refrigerator.

(I have shown the WPI and Carbquik in grams because I have found it is difficult to get consistent measurements with measuring cups.)

1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup wheat protein isolate 8000 (33g)
2 cups Carbquik (215 g)
1/2 cup wheat protein isolate 5000 (74g)
2 tbsp Resistant Wheat Starch 75
3/4 cup ground pecans
1/4 cup wheat bran
1 tbsp Thick it Up
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp black strap molasses (eaten by yeast)
1 tsp yeast

1 cup warm water
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 large eggs
Artificial sweetener equal to 1/4 cup sugar (I use liquid sucralose)

Set the bread maker to manual mode, (or use a stand mixer with a dough hook, or knead 10 minutes by hand.)

Follow the instructions for manual mode for your particular breadmaker. Allow it to knead for 10 minutes, then take it out of the bread maker.
(If using a stand mixer, mix for 1 minute with the paddle then mix for 10 minutes with the dough hook.)

If the dough is too stiff, and breaks into more than one ball, add a little more water. If it is too soft and won’t form a ball, add a little more WPI 5000. After 10 minutes of kneading, remove from the breadmaker, form the dough and put it in a greased bread pan and set in a warm place to rise

When the dough rises just above the top of the bread pan, bake it in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40 minutes until golden brown. . (Because of the baking powder in the recipe, the dough “kicks” in the oven and will rise another inch or two, so don’t let it rise too high before baking)

Turn it out onto a rack to cool.

NOTE: Don’t let this bread rise twice or it will ruin it. Form it into a loaf as soon as it is finished kneading, and let it rise and bake it.

For a softer, less "European" type crust, sub 1/4 cup WPI 5000 for the WPI 8000.

Yields 16 half inch slices per loaf, 2g carbs per slice.

Loaf of wheat, white dinner rolls, and hamburger buns.

Last edited by sbwertz : Sat, Apr-07-18 at 22:04.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-18, 05:18

Plan: keto
Stats: 180/171/135 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress:

I have a allergy to tree nuts, is there anything I can substitute for the pecans
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 10:50
Registered Member

BF:

If you leave out the nuts, you get a very good white bread. You might try substituting ground sunflower seeds.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 14:27
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

Those bread products look very good Sharon. I used to buy the WPI 5000 and 8000 but quit using them some time ago. One of them (and I never figured out which it was) had a funny taste I didn't care for. Sort of like the awful old CQ back taste they finally got rid of in CQ. Those look so good maybe I should give the WPI's a second chance in my pantry.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-18, 16:16
Registered Member

BF:

All the bread recipes are on lcneighborhood, Peggy. I think the off flavor was the WPI 8000 and I only use a very small amount of it to give a chewy European style crust. You can sub more 5000 for it in any of the recipes and it will give a more American soft crust. I always sub for it when making rolls and burger buns to make them easier to bite into.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-18, 17:27
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

That's good to know, Sharon. I'll try these when I order some next. My next bread to trial is Jen Eloff's Whole Grain Bread for bread machine here: https://low-carb-news.blogspot.com/...-per-slice.html . She said one time it was her favorite bread recipe in all her low-carb baking. But yours sure looks good. I'll be trying it soon, too.

I sold my bread machine years ago at a garage sale because I was baking & eating bread way to often and it started my upward weight gain. But I replaced it recently because we bought 42 acres south of here with a cabin and the nearest grocery store is 10 miles away. I don't want to drive 10 miles just for some bread product. I figure by keeping it down at the cabin, I won't be tempted to bake bread so often. We only go down there 1-2 times a month. I want to start trying low-carb yeast recipes in a machine finally and I've already got most of the ingredients I'll need down at the cabin.