Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, May-24-02, 10:43

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%
Thumbs up

Wow. I sure am glad you guys started this thread. I went out looking for protein powder today and came home completely confused and empty handed. Didn't want to spend $45 on a tub of something wrong.

We don't have a GNC here, and the lady at Nutrition house didn't seem like she knew enough to be giving me good info. The health food store was even worse. It went something like this:

Them: Oh we have that in bulk too. It's cheaper.
Me: Do you have nutritional info on it. (reading) Hmm.. there are no carbohydrates listed. Do you know how many carbs are in 100 grams?
them: well if it's not listed, then there are none.
Me: um..not exactly true. Do you have the manufacturer. I can call them and find out.
Them: Let me call our other store. (talking on the phone and adding up on the calculator). There are -6 carbs in it.
Me: -6? How did he arrive at that?
Them: Well , he added up the protein, fat, lactose etc. and then subracted the total from 100
Me: (Trying hard not to laugh) Do you know what a carbohydrate is?
Them: (phone rings again) The guy says there are 52 carbohydrates
Me: 52? How did he get that?
Them: Well the carbohydrates are the % of lactose and it is 52% lactose.
Me: Sorry, I think I'll pass until I can get more reliable info
Them: Well we sell this stuff to the gyms and they buy tons of it.
Me: That's very nice for you. But I have hyperinsulinsensitivity and I need to be 100% sure of what's in what I eat otherwise I will get very sick.
Them: (Blank stare)
Me: (laughing my head off as I walk back to the car)

I guess I won't be depending on them for anything other than the yummy Liberty yogurt that only they sell.

This thread has answered a lot of my questions. I'll be checking out Walmart next time I get to that side of the country.

Thanks everyone for sharing this info.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, May-25-02, 13:42
Registered Member

Plan: ProteinPower/Body-for-Life
Stats: 215/181.5/130
BF:47%/38%/18%
Progress: 39%
Question Myoplex Low Carb

Hi, I'm new!

I've read several LC books, and I have decided to do the Atkins plan. One of my very dear friends, a personal trainer, has advised me not to do it. He is encouraging me to do Body For Life. Well, God bless Natrushka for writing that AMAZING post on LC and BFL.

I really want to do Atkins for at least a month. Then, perhaps, BFL. Any input into the Myoplex Low Carb Ready-to-drink shakes? Has anybody used them? Can they be used with Atkins, you think?

I'd appreciate any input!
  #18   ^
Old Sat, May-25-02, 17:37
Registered Member

Plan: ProteinPower/Body-for-Life
Stats: 215/181.5/130
BF:47%/38%/18%
Progress: 39%
Question Myoplex Low Carb

Hi, I'm new!

I've read several LC books, and I have decided to do the Atkins plan. One of my very dear friends, a personal trainer, has advised me not to do it. He is encouraging me to do Body For Life. Well, God bless Natrushka for writing that AMAZING post on LC and BFL.

I really want to do Atkins for at least a month. Then, perhaps, BFL. Any input into the Myoplex Low Carb Ready-to-drink shakes? Has anybody used them? Can they be used with Atkins, you think?

I'd appreciate any input!
  #19   ^
Old Mon, May-27-02, 06:46

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Trible, welcome to the BFL LC club Yes, you can do both - just have a look through the various gym logs at our success!

Can't help you with the myoplex-low carb shakes, I've not used any EAS products. But I'm pretty sure some of us have.

As for using them with Atkins - what's the carb count on them? If it's in keeping with your CCLL then why not? I supplement with Protein powder even when not working out - to keep numbers high. It's fast, easy and a shake makes a great "flaxoil and glutamine delivery vehicle"

Nat
  #20   ^
Old Mon, May-27-02, 08:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 1/1/1 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Does it go off?

I use the soya protein and make it up before I go to work. I just put powder, 1T cream, glutamine and water in it. Do you think it would go "off" sitting around for a couple of hours? Would I loose any nutritional value? I dont put flaxoil in the work shake as I know how easily it spoils.

Akiwican