Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-02, 22:59

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%
Default Protein Shake questions

Hey guys,

I am wondering if you all would give me some ideas about the protein shakes you have used/are using and which ones you like best.

I just found one that wasn't in too huge of a can (in case I don't like it). It's called Slimdown by Jamieson and has absolutely no carbs at all, 27g of protein per 3 tbsp and 114 calories. It is supposed to be mixed w/ half and half or whole milk. I tried half a serving this afternoon for L 2 but had to add about 10 drops of sugar twin to it so that I could drink it like a shake. Going to try it again later for D 2 w/ 1/4 cup blueberries but think I might still have to add AS for me to be able to drink it.

Everything else I've looked at comes in a huge container and costs a mint. I don't want to fork out money for something I end up hating and then not using.

Anyway, any thoughts or ideas re shakes or splitting meals in order to get in those six would be much appreciated.

Bobbie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 08:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/232/180
BF:
Progress: 35%
Hi,

I've been using a powder called 'Whey Gourmet' that I picked up at GNC. It's only ~3 g carb per scoop and is sweetened with Sucralose and one other artificial sweetener (potassium something-or-other), no aspartame.

The chocoloate/mocha/java that I have is outstanding, IMHO, although it has some caffeine I believe. Not the cheapest whey out there, but not over the top. They also make a banana-strawberry and chocolate-mint I believe.

I don't know who makes this, google turned up nothing of interest. I'm at work, powder at home... if you're interested in more details I'll check and post later tonight.

Brett.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-02, 00:07

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Whey Gourmet is made in British Columbia....in the lower mainland in fact. Coquitlam, a suburb of Vancouver.

It's the one that I drink and I LOVE it. The vanilla is delicious as is, but I like to add 1/4 strawberries or blueberries and a couple of ice cubes and do it in the blender. Comes out like a real shake.

I have the banana strawberry too and like it as well. My BFL buddy - Ruth just bought the blueberry and likes it.

Bobbie...it's $38 for a 30 serving container here.

Marlaine
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-02, 04:19

Stats: 220/163/150
BF:
Progress:

Hi I am very $ conscious so I don’t buy a lot of the Low carb thing. I do buy low carb tortillas because some things are better with some type of bread thing with it. I also buy and like Keto brand chocolate shake mix. It is either 2 or 4 g carbs per serving. I do not remember which. With the one you mentioned in your post I would consider what you add to it. If you use milk it will increase your carbs. The keto Brand one uses water. I put a splash of heavy cream in it and sometimes a little peanut butter. I did the math and it was a little over a buck per shack. I can live with that.

James
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 23:29

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%
Default DynaWhey

Found a protein beverage powder today at the Real Canadian Wholesale Club:

No sugar or aspartame but is sweetened w/ Splenda

per 30g scoop:
111 Cal
23g protein
1.3g fat
1.8g carbs

And is to be mixed w/ water or juice.

Problem is, I HATE it. I guess I should have paid more attention to the fact it said protein "BEVERAGE" not protein shake. I bought the orange-vanilla flavour. It is waaaaaay too sweet for me. But I have to use it because I paid $ for it and I am not wasting it. Thirty portions per package. Sigh. 2 down, 28 to go . . .

I really like the SlimDown I am also using right now but it is meant to be mixed w/ milk or juice. I mix it with half and half cream and I do need to put some AS in it (10 drops of Sugar twin & 1/2 pkt splenda per shake) because it has absolutely no carbs at all. It tastes like a shake and has the consistency of a shake.

per 30g scoop: (Of course, this is before mixing w/ milk or juice)
114 Cal
27g protein
0.8g fat
0 carbs

The point in me sharing all this is that I am trying to find another kind of protein powder that I can just mix w/ water for the times I am away from home and a blender. Something that comes out as a shake consistency and isn't overly sweet. Can someone tell me--is Whey Gourmet a "beverage" or a "Shake" when mixed? Most of you really like it but I am reluctant to make such a huge purchase w/o knowing if I will like it or not.

Any input appreciated.
Thanks,
Bobbie

Last edited by Homegirl : Tue, Jan-29-02 at 23:39.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 10:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Modified
Stats: 235/?/165
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Whey Gourmet....

I'm calling GNC this am, to see if they carry the protein drink and what the cost is here in WA state.

I was just posting on another site that I needed to check out the protein drinks and am thrilled that this was being covered in another thread....
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 15:52

Stats: 260/232/180
BF:
Progress: 35%
The Whey Gourmet stuff is pretty sweet... It's not really thick when mixed with just water (unless you really get the blender going). I think if you mix in some ice it comes out thicker, but I haven't tried that. I also haven't tried hand mixing it, so I don't know how that would work... Nothing like lumps of dry protein powder to get the day going

I picked up a tub of the strawberry/banana at a new Nutrition House that opened nearby (nice to have some competition with the local GNC)... Not as good as the mocha/java, but not bad.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 17:04

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Funny, I've never had any lumps in Whey Gourmet! And I've been adding strawberries to it and doing it in the blender. It comes out as thick as any shake I've ever had. I love it. And the vanilla I just shake up in a jar so that I can take it with me to work....sans water and mix there. I'm planning to try the coffee flavour next.

Marlaine
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 17:39

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default shakes

I use a scoop of strawberry Nitro-Tech (by MuscleTech), a scoop of strawberries and cream Protein Plus (by Met-Rx), a scoop of VegeFuel (no flavor, by Twinlabs), a scoop of vanilla Simply Protein (EAS), and a scoop of Nutrijoint with glucosamine (by Knox) ... along with 2T of heavy cream and 12 ounces of COLD water.

Each shake has about 65g protein in it, and 6g carbs. And it is yummy ...

I do 3 or 4 of these per day ... Expesive but effective.

Hint: to get above to 50g protein per serving "limit" that most people's bodies have try taking ginger root capsules with each shake to aid in digestion.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-02-02, 17:14
Registered Member

Plan: protein power
Stats: 170/161/155
BF:
Progress: 60%

HI,
Just a little confused . Since I joined a gym lately and am reading the bfl book have question on the shakes. I think it is Nat and maybe many of you who are also following protein power; I am as well. The shakes from EAS, myoplex have a great deal of carbs as well as protein. Is this ok or did I get the wrong thing. I know at my club I,ve had them with berries and they are great. But the big question is am I getting too many carbs?
Also about glutamine; I assume the pills won't cut it as the amount is too little. Is that correct?
How much should be taken? Believe I saw the answer to this in a previous post, but can't find. Thanks
Allen
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-02-02, 17:50

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Allen, it will all depend on how many carbs you want per day. I use a protein powder with 13g of carbs and I use one with 2g - it depends on what I'm looking for that day. The myoplex light have around 20g if I remember correctly. Adding more carbs to that in the form of berries isnt something that I would do, although 20g of carbs after working out is (I get mine from whole oats). If you check out GNC, Wal-Mart, Costco you'll find they also carry protein powders - they range from expensive to cheap, depending on the quality and/or the sweetener used. Whey tends to be the protein of choice for weight lifters.

Glutamine: .3g per KG of LBM, most of us take at least 10-15g a day divided into two doses (post workout, before bed). Popping 10-15 pills is a chore - I tried it

WTG on the new fitness regime
Nat
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-02-02, 21:55

Stats: 246.5/186.5/160
BF:
Progress: 69%
Hi there!

I drink a protein shake once each day on my way to work at 7:15 in the morning. I use to skip breakfast, and now feel great in the mornings!

Pro Lean Mass Meal Replacement
1 scoop for 12 ounces of water
141 calories
1 g fat
10 g carbohydrates
23 g protein

Smiles!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-03-02, 05:06
Registered Member

BF:

Nat,
Looks like I messed up a little on the purchase of Myoplex.
It was the regular one and I did add strawberries and blueberries(I would estimate 35-40 carbs0. Oh welll it was delecious.
Guess i will donate this to my daughter who lifts also and is not too concerned with carb intake. Anyway I will look for a powder at Gnc consisting of whey but with much less carbs. YOu mentioned sweeteners; anything in particular I should be aware of?
Glutamine: I figured about about 130 lmb for myself. This is pounds. Do you still think the 10 -15 grams per day would be good? Do you use a particulat brand?
Thanks for your good wishes and advice. Hope you are feeling better.
Did the aerobics yesterdayon the treadmill. Worked up to about 5.5 mph. Anyway it felt good. Like I really got a good aerobic workout in a short time. Stay well
Allen
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-03-02, 06:29

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Allen, most low carb protein powders are sweetened with splenda or ACEK / nutrasweet. They'll have around 2-5g of carbs and you can definitely add berries to them. Some medium carb shakes are made with fructose - not the greatest sweetener around, but they do taste a hell of a lot better.

10-15g of glutamine would do you just fine. I am running with 140 lbs of LBM and this is what I take daily, and it does the job.

The 20 MAS sure makes cardio feel different - I used to work out for 45 minutes at a moderate intensity and think I was getting a good workout! Boy was I ever mistaken. Those intervals sure do get you sweating.

Have fun!
N
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-03-02, 06:53
Registered Member

BF:
Wink

Nat,
I will hit gnc again and pick up the protein powder and glutamine.
Yes definitely having fun; more important feel so much better; mind and body. Was really suffering
somewhat in the beginning with Atkins. Then the switch to Protein Power and now the workouts;
unbelievable difference. All I want now is for the shoulder to heal a little more and I will be hitting that little white ball(hopefully longer)
down the fairways. Thanks for the help and have a great weekend.
Allen