Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 21:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Jogging

Janeane,

Have you looked at my current weight lately? I out weigh you, plus the only jogging/running I had done in ~30 years (since Grade 7) is to catch a bus, and now I'm jogging, for limited periods. Did I mention I have asthma too, but my cardio w/o doesn't affect it? When I'm done I huff & puff a wee bit, but it's barely heavy breathing after the 1 min cool down.

My 1 min intervals: effort: 6: 3.5 mph walk, eff 7: 3.7mph walk, eff 8: 4.1 (jog), eff 9: 4.6 jog, eff 10: 5.0 jog.

My calf muscles won't allow me to walk at fast speeds, they cramp & cause shin splints but I can jog, go figure? I was utterly amazed at this hidden ability, just ask Marlaine For me the secret is that I know it's only for 60 seconds, I can handle that.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 05:14
Registered Member

Stats: 9 6/9 3/8 2
BF:
Progress:
Question

i have found that since being on the low carb diet, i dont seem to have as much energy as i used to and my stamina has decreased. v. depressing. has anyone else had this problem?
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 08:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Modified
Stats: 235/?/165
BF:
Progress: 23%
Thumbs up 2/1/02 Friday

OK, OK.... You are a wonder woman, and a total inspiration to me. Guess it's mind over matter, in MANY facets of the BFL WOL. I had just never imagined that I would be able to jog again, Sunday (or Monday, haven't decided if I'll take a day off??? Your opinion) and will crank the speed up... but if you hear me slamming against the back wall, come help me up OK Ruth.

Friday WO, Treadmill 21 min. 10incline ~ 3.6mph... do need to increase that, only at a 7.5 level.

Do intend on ski for 4 hours or so, we'll see how the ole' legs are screaming by tonight.

KKMA; I'm not a good one to ask about the decrease in stamina, being new to this WOL... but perhaps you should increase your food intake, I'll check your food journal this evening, as I'm sure Ruth will. Hang in there!!!
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 18:27
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up It's been crazy around here

Can't remember the last time I posted, so I'll start with Friday.

Friday
20 MAS
3 hours dh skiing

Sat
LBWO... +abs & 10 min streching hit 10's across board

Sun
3 hours dh skiing

Monday
20MAS
3 hours dh skiing

It's amazing how much easier it is to get down the hill now that I'm in a little bit better shape.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 17:33
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up 2/5/02 Tuesday

UBWO; hit 10's right on down the line. Loving the protein shakes w/ L-g. Have not been too achey.... except last night, thought that my legs were going to fall off. 20min MAS then 3 hours of hard skiing. Yikes, it was a doozy
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 17:45
Registered Member

BF:
Talking 2/6/02 Wednesday

Great 20MAS this am...

Set the alarm for 5:30, so I could concentrate without hubby and kids asking where this was and where that was, and it worked out great. Very tired and it's only 3:30, need to eat a bit more and regain some of that energy.... have been out to dinner parties the last 2 nights, and am thankful that I was able to opt out of going out this evening.... time for a relaxing night, good homecooked meal, fire in the fireplace and falling asleep... after WestWing.

Tried on a pair of 16 LLBean jeans this am, they were VERY tight, but I did button them up. 2 weeks ago it was not possible, :Party. I'll take all the positive reinforcement I can along this road.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 21:29

BF:
Default Re: 2/1/02 Friday

Quote:
Originally posted by skimom
will crank the speed up... but if you hear me slamming against the back wall, come help me up OK Ruth.

J,

Just read this, you're too funny. You didn't report on Monday's cardio, did you increase speed? 1 teensy weensy difference between you & me on the treadmill. You use an incline and I don't because it could stress my LB and I'm just not going to risk that for some time to come, call me coward if you want. Does 10 incline mean a 10% incline? and if not, what is the % of incline?
IF 10 = 10%, a speed of 3.6 mph is more of an effort than what I'm doing. Maybe you're the SUPERWOMAN??????
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 21:32

BF:
Default for Faiz, aka kkma

I couldn't find a journal for you, and am reluctant to try to answer your question in Janeane's journal. If you see this, please start a journal, outline your LC history & symptoms, then come to my journal to tell me.

Otherwise, I would point you to Daily Lowcarber, the HOT LINKS thread that Karen has established.

Good luck!
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 09:30
Registered Member

BF:
Angry BFL Day10

I'm just so frustrated I could scream.... Did the LBWO this am.
Started with Leg Extensions, need to up the weight to 30#starting, reached a 7.

Straight leg started at 12.5/ move up to a 15 SW next time
DB Lunges just plain hurt my knees (my kneecap is asque), and need to find another hamstring exercise I can use with my free weights.

Angled Calf was a laugh (only hit a 7) and will increase to 15#SW
As well as One Leg

Only satisfaction I got was working my abs, did bent knees and a variety of others and felt the burn.

My frustration stems from the fact that I am using the DBells and I am having a hard time reaching 10's... my knee limitations are preventing my from doing many of the exercises correctly. I'm just plain angry.

I have absolutely no problem with the DBs when doing the UBWO, just the LBWO.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 09:50

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Janeane, my boyfriend has a similar problem - there are many exercises he just cannot do safely. Have you checked the muscle directory here for some other options? I can suggest that for the calf raises, try bending your knee (if this is an option) you just need to bend it 30 degrees or so and that will isolate the calf muscle - you'll feel the exercise a lot more this way.

Lunges can be a PITA (pain in the ....) specially if you have bad knees - better to be safe than sorry later. Are you OK with squats? Modifying the program so that it works for you is OK, Janeane. Take a look at the interviews in the back - one of the transformations is about a woman in a wheelchair.

Nat
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 23:50
Registered Member

BF:
Talking 2/6/7

Thanks Nat for the site referal... checked out the possible exercises and will incorporate a couple into workout next LBWO. I was just feeling frustrated, and couldn't help to rant and rave. Think it's the limitations that I'm finding with the BarBells, in comparison to what's available at the gym. But, I'm bound not to join up.... the ease of working out at home (for me) far outweighs the getting in the car at 5:30 and slogging my way thru the snow. Just need to work out the bugs.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 20:22
Registered Member

BF:
Talking 2/8 friday/ 2/9 Saturday

Friday;
20MAS -- great workout started at 6incline worked up to 9, went down to 7 worked up to 10, went down to 8 worked up to 11, went down to 9 and worked up to 12incline... it was a real burner. Then went skiing for 3.5 hours... my thighs were a burning.

Saturday;
UBWO; hit 10's except for the arm extension and will increase weights by 2.5# next time.

Sunday will be a free day.

Starting to see results... both in mind and body.

#28   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 12:49
Registered Member

BF:
Cool 2/11 Monday

Day 12 BFL
LBWO; empty tummy 5:45.
Great workout, looked up some new calf exercises and am satisfied that they are 'doing the trick'. Finding that I need to increase weight regularly to hit a 10 each time.

Planning on doing a UBWO on 2/12, in preparation of a Wed am departure. Will do a 20MAS Wednesday then do UB & LB at a friends that has a bowflex on Thurs/Fri. Heading to Big Mtn and Bridger Mtn, for the following 10 days, neither place has a weight room, so will take along weights and try to get a good am workout before heading to the slopes.

It's an incredible day here, clear blue skies and cold. Great day to be skiing, too bad I need to get ready for the trip. Yikes, it's hard to be inside on a day like this.