Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-05, 09:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/138/135 Female 5'7"
BF:I did it!
Progress: 93%
Default Maintenance not going so well...

Just wondering if there are others out there like me who aren't doing so well with this whole maintenance thing. I lost my weight well by following strict Atkins, but now that I have more choices I seem to be going off the deep end too often. The result? This morning I'm up to 138 from my low of 131. I keep a little graph chart on my desk and that line has been steadily going up since I started maintenance four months ago.

I know where the problem lies--I love sweets--I mean, really really LOVE them and even though I limit what I keep around here in the house, there are too many opportunities to just have a little of this or that and pretty soon I've way overdone it. Then I'm OK for a few days--feel really guilty and eat my healthy food like a good girl--until the next treat comes along. (And no, just having one little bite doesn't cut it...)

So--how are the rest of you guys doing? Up? Down? Staying the same? I guess the bottom line is I really don't WANT to eat healthy--I know I should, I know it's good for me, I know I look and feel better--but man I miss my "bad" foods! (For example--I need to go make breakfast for myself when I get done with this. For the past year I've had bacon and eggs every morning which I enjoy and which I'll make again this morning. But what I wouldn't give for a big ol' piece of homemade bread toast slathered in butter and strawberry jam!)

And, I miss checking in at the Atkins board for support and encouragement. There's not a whole lot going on on this maintenance board. Surely there must be more of us out there in need of support!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-05, 15:31

Stats: 212/174/155 Female 5'11"
BF:size 18/12-14/8
Progress: 67%

I'm just wondering, did you actually follow the carb ladder in OWL?

As far as "not wanting to eat healthy" this may be where you need to sit down with yourself and have a long talk.

I quit smoking 13 years ago. I knew at that time that the only way I was actually going to quit was that I had to WANT to quit. Just quiting wasn't going to do it, I knew I would quit a few days and start back up.

I took those same feelings with me into this WOE. I WANT my body that I have now. I WANT to feel the way that I do now. I do NOT want all the negative effects of not eating healthy had on me.

Just going through the motions isn't going to do it. You have to have a mental change along with the physical change or it's not going to work.

Sorry if I sound preachy, l'm not trying to...I just really want everyone to be successful with their weightlosses and succesful keeping the weight off.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-05, 22:09

Plan: Fat Flush Plan
Stats: 233/146/150 Female 5ft 8inches
BF:22%
Progress: 105%

You have to find your own balance, IMHO.

Maintenance in the FFP permits up to 4 daily "legal" carbs but I discovered real early that if I eat that many, I'll gain weight. So I eat 2 per day, max.

If you know sweets are your downfall. Don't buy 'em. Don't have 'em around. Don't start on 'em. (I'm the "tough love" type, can ya tell? ) Seriously, the best way to conquer a weakness is never to start/give in.

You might also have underlying yeast infection - yeat can prompt cravings for sweets because it needs that kind of environment to thrive. Just a thought!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-05, 09:13

Thanks for the input. I agree with all of you! My downfall really is in that if the treats are in the house--I won't stop with just a little. As much as I hate to admit it, I really feel like a cakeaholic--(or m&m-aholic or whatever the treat of the day is.) I have been pretty good about not bringing stuff home, but seems like there are too many excuses (a birthday...snacks for the kids...mom brings over a loaf of her bread, etc.) I think I need to bite the bullet and take the "tough love" stance for myself. I did much better on strict Atkins when I knew I couldn't have ANY of those things. As much as I hate giving up my treats, I really hate the tight way my jeans are fitting these days more!

Now that being said--it is 8:12 in the morning here so it's not much of a problem. Lord, help me to make it through the afternoon!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-05, 09:31

I went to that Atkins site about maintenance and it was great! Why isn't that info included in the book????? It fits me to a T! Anyway, the following is what really hit home for me and maybe some of the rest of you will also benefit by reading it--

If addictions do reappear in the form of food obsessions and cravings, you're probably indulging too much in the foods that got you into trouble to begin with. The vicious cycle of hyperinsulinism and resultant low blood-sugar levels—combined with the possibility of specific food allergies or intolerances—can create an addictive situation. When you go back to bread, fruit or fermented foods, you may suddenly discover that you must have these foods, that no day or meal feels right without them. Observe yourself carefully. You are engaged in a real battle for self-control as your defenses crumble. You'll notice that the need that develops is genuinely physical. It isn't simply that you know pasta tastes good, and you'd like to have it. No, your body absolutely roars with anxiety and passion for that pasta. You are under its spell. When this happens, you'll know.
Such addictions aren't shameful; they're physical, biochemical, metabolic—and that's precisely why you must avoid them. Most of you already know that for a significant portion of your life, excessive quantities of carbohydrates have been stronger than you. Don't trifle with them now.

As soon as you suspect your carbohydrate cravings are returning, you're confronted with a true health emergency that demands immediate action. You must cure them by returning to the Induction phase for several days until you get your cravings under control. Carefully doing Pre-Maintenance will help prevent you from once again being controlled by your cravings.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-05, 13:06

Plan: IF/Low carb
Stats: 219/201/172 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

Shoer, wow have you described me to a T. Other than the numbers, I could have written it.

I have found the urge to eat carbs is a facinating experience. After some bad carbs, you don't want meat, veggies, cheese or nuts: you must have more bad carbs. The body can be so evil. The desire to loose weight is a much stronger movator than eating right.

I'm addicted to the Research board myself. I just get more and more convinced that LC is right.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-05, 13:25

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

LOL I am too fascinated by the body's desire for carbs. My theory is that insulin played a big role in survival when times were rough (when food was scarce hundred of thousands years ago). Insulin helped to facilitate the storage of fat. When one ate something carby, the body must have thought... "Ahh food must be in abundance now! Must eat eat eat!!!" However, now that food is everywhere and famine is nonexistent, we don't really need insulin anymore, but the darn thing's not going anywhere

Serre
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-11-05, 12:36

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 133/129/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Thank you for that link! I'm back on Induction, having put back on half of the weight I took off because of indulging my carb cravings. The information on that page has really helped me.

I hope to join the ranks of successful maintainers by this summer.

Isa
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-05, 16:49

Stats: 148/108/108 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm still pretty stable. My weight still stays between 109-112lbs The threat to me was always pasta. That is the only thing I keep strict. I eat it once a week. I' m lucky in that I don't crave sweets...never had, even when I was heavy. In a way, I wish it was. I still think sweets would be easier to control (for me) then bread or pasta!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-05, 20:37

Well, since first posting this thread a few days ago I'm back on strict induction and the scale is down 2 lbs. Yeah!!!! I know, I know--water weight--but who cares? It's down!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-05, 20:47

Plan: Mostly atkins
Stats: 198/165/140 Female 5' 4"
BF:don't know
Progress: 57%

Are you in North or South Idaho? Got any favorite places to go out to eat?
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-05, 09:32

I am in southeastern Idaho--in the toe of the "boot" right next to Yellowstone Park. Favorite places? For a nice meal the Relay Station in St. Anthony is great. For a hamburger--you can't beat one of those huge ones from Big Judds in Ashton! Where are you from?
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-05, 12:12

Plan: Mostly atkins
Stats: 198/165/140 Female 5' 4"
BF:don't know
Progress: 57%

I'm in Caldwell. Red Robin has an awsome no bun burger that I really like. I heard St. Anthony is really pretty. I've never made it that dirrection but plan to. My Dad grew up in Shoshone.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-05, 23:42

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

All I can add here is my secret is " controlled servings" But if you can not control the servings then leave it alone, walk away find a mirror ask yourself if it is worth it?? did I work this hard to get here then ruin it by over doing it?

For me the answer is always no! the taste of that food is not worth undoing it. So I accept that I have to control my servings.

Good Luck, Kathy
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 15:39
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

I am so sorry about your brother.
It's amazing how different we are. The more we know about our bodies, the better we do.
I avoid all the LC foods. With CALP I will eat the real stuff, but in limited quantities and only once a day, with protein and vegies. I am committed to this WOL, and even though it is very different from the way most people eat it works for me. I agree that changing your whole mindset was a key for me. the whole idea that I could go back to the way I was before- and the weigh I was- is scary. I love the way i feel and look, and want to maintain. i know this forum isn't the busiest, but it's nice to know I'm not alone.
E