Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Ireland
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-02, 16:24

Plan: M&E no cheese no cream
Stats: 286/277.8/175 Female 170 cms
BF:130/126.1/80 KILO
Progress: 7%
Default welcome

welcome, Mairead! 'm pretty new at this forum also, and I don;t think the Irish team is at home, because I don;t see many posts! But you and I can of course make a beginning! welcome, Mairead! 'm pretty new at this forum also, and I don;t think the Irish team is at home, because I don;t see many posts! But you and I can of course make a beginning!
It;s great you lost so much already, I have only done one week now, but I had too many nuts and too much cheese this weekend, so I didn;lt lose any weight. Still my face looks thinner and my pants feel looser too, so who knows.
I'm not in a hurry, I need to lose so much, that I will just stick to the plan and see how I go.
When did you do Atkins before and in what respect is it less strict now?
hope to hear from you!

cheers
Willeke
Galway
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Nov-15-02, 06:24

Plan: atkins
Stats: 224/210/140
BF:
Progress: 17%

HI WILLEKE JUST SITTING DOWN TO LUNCH SALAD,CHICKEN .HAM AND A LITTLE CHEESE AND OF COURSE THE WATER. I FOLLOWED ATKINS IN 1978 WHEN I WAS EXPECTING MY DAUGHTER WHEN VISITING THE CLINIC WAS INSULTED BY A DOCTOR ABOUT MY WEIGHT I WISH I WAS THAT WEIGHT NOW BUT I AM DETERMINED TO GET THERE. THEN ATKINS TOLD YOU TO EAT NOTHING ONLY PROTEIN IT JUST SEEMED TO BE STRICTER. BUT I WAS DETERMINED TO MAKE THAT DOCTOR EAT HIS WORDS. I WEIGHTED 10 LBS LESS THE NEXT WEEK AND HE THEN SHOUTED. CANT PLEASE SOME PEOPLE. WHEN I HAD THE BABY I HAD DROPPED 35 LBS SHE IS NOW A HEALTHY 24 YEAR OLD WHO IS GOING TO MAKE ME A GRANDMOTHER IN FEBUARY PITY I HAD WENT BACK TO THE OLD WAY OF EATING I WILL BE 45 IN JAN AND I AM DETERMINED NOT TO GO INTO MY MIDDLE YEARS UNHEALTHY AS MY JOINTS ARE STARTING TO ACHE BYE FOR NOW AS I AM GOING TO GET SOYA FLOUR AND TRY ATKINS PANCAKES
MAIREAD
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Nov-15-02, 13:53

Default to mairead

Hi Mairead, I've just finished dinner, a pound of spinach and half a chicken. I don't eat the skijn of the chicken or the fat - we have 4 dogs that are very happy with that <g< - but I add some oil to make the taste better.

Some doctors do make your blood boil, don't they? But good for you that you take it in your own hands now. I know what you mean about healthy middle years. I am 53, just had my 1st grandchild, and just want to go back to being me again!

The soy flour is a good idea for you, it will also help you a lot with future menopausal problems!

Had a crazy week, work wise and will also have to work in the weekend, so won;t be able to write a lot, but I'll be reading here and definitley will answer when you write!!

Let me know how the pancakes are!! and, btw, did you buy the new atkins book? Just curious to know when the latest was published!

cheers
Willeke
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Nov-16-02, 04:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 224/210/140
BF:
Progress: 17%

hi willeke
taking a few minutes out from work why dont you email me on maireadmeighan ~hotmail.com the pancakes are fine tend to break up as you try to turn them but we had them with mexican mince and they were very nice. do you use keto sticks i find that i cannot get past moderate but still seem to be losin fat if i can manage to lose 2 lbs a week i will be very happy. only other problem is i am going on holiday to thailand in a few weeks so will find it very difficult will just try to keep away from rice and noodles speak to you soon
best wishes mairead
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Dec-13-02, 01:49

Default Hi Mairead!

Sorry it's been so long! I'm back from my trip to the Netherlands now and had a great time. Didn't lose any weight, but ah well, didn;t gain anything either. Haven't had any of the traditional sweets, but had too many nuts for me, I suppose.
Just making the diet a bit stricter now, hoping that weightloss will finally begin.

And how have you been???

Willeke
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 07:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/191/147 Female 5ft 2in
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hi Clodagh,

I've being on and off Atkins since June 2001, When I was first on it I lost 35 pounds, and my husband lost 42 pounds but have put back on 17 pounds and he has put on 7 which he needed to. For treats we would make a fruit mousse made from:

2 packets of sugar free jelly, 2 cups of boiling water (mix) add 200grams of full fat cream cheese (blend) and add 1.75 cups of cold water.

We would put into six individual serving dishes and put a spoonful of cream. Sometimes we would put some frozen fruit (microwaved) on the bottom (Rasberries,strawberries and black berries)

Would you let me know what you are eating for your breakfast, as I'm fed up with Rashers and eggs.

Thanks
Lisa(Zita)
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 07:46

Hi Lisa,
I am not Clodagh <g>, but since there has hardly been any traffic on this list so far this year, I thought I'd reply to you anyway! Even though I'm Dutch, I do live in Ireland (and I even used to be an office manager myself in the past) so I thought you wouldn't mind!
I have rashers and eggs for lunch, and take protein powder for breakfast.
I make it with cocoa and sweetner and olive oil and boiling water, and it looks just like hot chocolate and now I'm used to it, it tastes like that, too!

Most people use the protein powder for shakes, but I don't like cold drinks, that's why I played with the idea and came up with this!

I buy it at www.hollandandbarrett.com, and you can also get it at the chemist's (Sanatogen) but that's a lot more expensive.

Anyway, welcome to this forum, and if there's anything I can help you with, just give a shout!
cheers
Willeke
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 02:33

Stats: 205/191/147 Female 5ft 2in
BF:
Progress: 24%

Thanks Willeke for your reply, I also buy my protein powder there, I use to make protein shakes for my breakfast with summer fruits. I can't seem to get back into Atkins, I'm bridesmaid for a friend in six months so I need to.

I have also made muffins and pancakes with the protein powder, have you tried to make scones? I really miss them.

Regards
Lisa(Zita)
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 09:09

Stats: 160/160/145 Female 5ft6
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Hi Zita, Willeke

Hi there,

Am delighted to see that there are people LCing in Ireland....
I know a couple of people who have tried Atkins and who hated it and felt actually quite ill on it. Nevertheless I am doing Atkins and find it makes a lot of sense to me.

I am a bit of a naturalist though and don't tend to buy protein powders and all that lark. My rationale is that if you have to process it - it cannot be that great.

Zita, you are well on your way to achieving your goal - keep at it - my advice would be that it obviously works for you and you know what they say about patience being a virtue.......

What about doing some exercise if not already - half hour fast walking or swimming which is great for toning up......

I started this since Christmas - although I had tried a couple of time last year......have made a commitment to myself this time though and it even feels different doing it.

Desserts are my faltering point though aswell...so any ideas there would be great. I bought a probiotic yogurt the other day in Dunnes - Glenfisk? or something like that and the carbs are reasonably low.....not all eaten at once....

Any more ideas?
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 13:51

Default Zita

Hi Zita Lisa,
I haven't made muffins etc because I am not all that fond of them. I also found, in the past when I did Atkins before, that I lose weight a LOT slower when I eat too much of those fancy things, so I have to be very careful what I take. Summer fruits would be far too sweet for me, for example.
If you really want to get back into Atkins you really should do the induction and do it striclty. It will give you a lot mor energy and you will lose your cravings, and then it's all a lot easier, too! You could take chromium if you still have cravings, that seems to help!

It;s nice to talk to somebody from Ireland, seems closer somehow or other <g>

cheers
Willeke
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 14:00

Default Paddles

Hi Paddles, I keep writing, Pebbles, that's my daughter's dog's name <g>, sorry!

It's a well known fact that you can feel quite awful the first few days when your body is making the switch, Making sure you drink PLENTY of water does help, though, and it's no more than three or 4 days at the most, and well worth it, I think!

Protein powder... needs must, is a saying, I believe, I had change-of-life problems, and this was the best way for me to get the necessary amount of soy. It works very well, so I'm happy with it!

Of course we need exercise, but normally the advice is to first get into Atkins properly and then slowly start building up some routines. I walk my dogs three times a day for 10 to 15 minutes. It's not much, but at the moment I can't do more really. And I walk and run in our own field, which is quite hilly, so that counts double <g>.

Desserts.. as I said to Lisa, I don't really care much for sweet things, and my metabolism is just far too sensitive for anything extra. But you don;t need to lsoe nealry as much weight as I do, so maybe you could take a nice cup of decaf coffee with cream for dessert, or a bit of extra nice cheese?

The wonderful thing is that there's always something you can take, you never need to go hungry!

lots of fun and success,
Willeke
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 07:21

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 220/176/175 Male 184
BF:
Progress: 98%
Default I year On.

Hello All

Almost a year on atkins with the odd 2 week planned breaks over Christmas, Holidays etc. Started about 15st 10lbs and am now 14st. So It really works.

I am now reading and following advice on Atkins vita-nutrient suggestions, which i hope to imlement into my life as well.

Thanks

#28   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 10:45

Stats: 190/180/165 Male 185cm
BF:
Progress:

Hi Doodle
Just wondering what happened to the low carb shop idea?
I'm looking for things like nitrate-free bacon and sausages without rusks/cereal and can't seem to find them in Dublin...
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 05:31

Stats: 211/207/168 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:
Default Argh! wine is evil!

Hi,
it's my first time posting here. Started Atkins last Monday, had wine on Friday and it all went awry after that, i had lots of chocolate on Sat and Sun, and 3 of the 5lbs i lost during the week were put back on. Ah well i'm back on track again and refuse to give up. Am beginning to hate eggs already though! The question about sausages without bits in, someone else mentioned previously in this forum that Tescos finest do the lowest carb saussies. Thats my two cents. ps where in Dublin can you get that isolated soy protein?
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 13:40

Plan: cad
Stats: 240/229/190 Female 5feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default irish low carbers

Hi from County Down
I usually lurk but felt i had to join the Irish contingent.I am really worried about managing Christmas. Anyone any plans yet how they are going to cope with the eating and drinking frenzy?