Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-09, 21:31

Plan: atkin
Stats: 147/138/115 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Running and weight gain

I have notice while reading thru some posts that it is common for people to gain weight when doing a lot of running. Why is this. I am training for a marathon and the weight loss has been slow but I never thought it could be because of the running. That is totally discouraging.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-09, 23:18

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

There are a lot of reasons. Some people say you just eat more than you should - tsk, tsk (I don't buy that one). Some people say it's a strain enough on your body and you need the extra food/carbs and it's OK and would, in fact, be bad to lose alot. Some people say that exercise causes an insulin response - your blood sugar spikes after exercise, thus spurring the laying down of fat. I definitely experience the accumulation of abdominal fat from running. Many people say the only way to prevent it is to run shorter and to do strength exercises in addition to the running. I've come to the conclusion that I like running and I am not going to give it up, but I definitely don't see iot as the most efficient or healthy way to get in shape. Um, since it keeps me fat... I'm training for a ten miler at the beginning of May. I don
't expect to lose much until then when I take a break afterwards, but if I do I will definitely post my secrets! Lasdt year I did the same and lost 50 pounds effortlessly as soon as I quit it with the running.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-09, 23:40

Plan: Low carb/healthy
Stats: 154.4/119.0/125 Female 5ft4 and 3/4ths
BF:don't ask...
Progress: 120%

I have said this before to different ppl that have had a spike in their weight after exercising..That is soooooo why I dont let the scale rule me. I know that when exercising such as running builds muscle and you also retain water in your muscle tissues..Which btw isn't a bad thing. Personally I dont carb up before a run like they say..I dont like the full feeling you have in the first place..I go with WATER most of all and a protein shake about an hr before running..

I have learned from experience to look at the way my body is changing and gaining muscle and loosing inches..

Tanks..just know that as long as you are eating right such as on your plan and drinking your water plus your exercising..Dont worry about the scale..go by how you feel and the way your clothes fit..First and foremost..u are working on your health and body..which should take first priority..

I have done for the past two years every May a half marathon and enjoyed it..I really dont in fact I KNOW I couldn't do a full marathon..So kudos to you..Best of luck..

Keep running and enjoy it..

Cya
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-09, 06:53
Registered Member

Plan: mainly atkins
Stats: 140/112/108 Female 64 inch
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Suggestions please...

Hi All,

Please could someone help, I'm soooo frustrated!

I've been running for years and have recently also started to use a Power Plate. My problem is that the tops of my legs are HUGE..but not fat, they're quite solid muscle. The rest of me is slim. I weigh 120lbs, and desperately want to get down to 110 (which I was last year).

I run every morning before breakfast, and try to do 6 miles which takes approx. an hour (I don't do an incline).

I then run in the evening, and alternate between running/power walking on an incline, again for 5 to 6 miles.

I also do Power Plate workouts every other day.

An average menu is:-

Breakfast- Either greek yoghurt or omelette (made with 1 egg and 6 egg whites), and a few brazil or pecan nuts.

Lunch - Small tin of tuna in olive oil and a boiled egg.

Dinner - Small portion of chicken, or turkey, or tuna with lots of either green veggies or LOTS of salad (i.e. a whole lettuce/raw spinach etc etc), mushrooms etc. with a low fat salad dressing.

Snacks - nuts

Drinks - 2 litres of water with cranberry, 2 decaff coffee.

Can anyone help please? I'm desperate to shift these extra few pounds, as I can't get into my size 6 (UK) clothes!

Thanks so very much,

x
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-09, 08:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151/143/120 Female 154cm
BF:34%/32%/20%
Progress: 26%

Hi missatkins

If you're running that much (is that quite a new thing?) then its not suprising that you've gained some muscle in your legs, which would account for the weight gain.

In this case, I would suggest that you would be better not focussing on your weight number, and instead thinking about how your clothes fit.

If the problem is too much muscle on your legs, rather than fat, then diet will probably not be able to do much about it. You could starve yourself, which may result in some muscle loss, but there would be no guarantee this would come from your legs and it would probably seriously impair your running performance.

Instead you may need to cut back on the running and replace it with some kind of exercise which will reshape your legs - I'm thinking yoga maybe, or a lot of people here seem to be doing callanetics, which is supposed to be great for that. So perhaps try replacing one of your runs each day with a yoga video and see how you go?

HTH!