Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-08, 22:35

Plan: Adkins-With tweaks
Stats: 182.5/166.2/140 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Excercise and weight loss

I have been reading alot about how excercise hinders weight loss and we should keep excercising to stay healthy. I have been lifting for a week now, will it slow down weight loss? I know in time I'll gain some muscle, but real weight loss. I've read alot about cardio slowing weight loss down. That doesn't hurt my feeling at all! I don't like cardio. Does anyone know if weight training slows down fat reduction?

Jacki
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-08, 22:53

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

It did for me. I lost about 2 lbs during one month of strength training while I lost about 7 lbs during one month of staying in bed. Then again only a couple of lbs during the next month of training. I can't be absolutely certain that the weight lost was all fat and not part water but I can promise it wasn't muscle since I kept my strength throughout. I would have needed to give my body a reason to lose muscles but I ate an all meat diet so that couldn't have done it.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-08, 22:56

BF:

So it wouldn't hurt me to stop working out and just live my life with a little extra time? I only have 30 lbs to loose. Only,huh, It seems so close, yet so far away!

Do you loose without any veggies? I like the idea, but I'm told you need some carbs to loose weight.

Jacki
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-08, 23:17

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I don't know why somebody told you to eat carbs to lose fat but that's not how the body works. Carbohydrates drive insulin drives fat accumulation. Therefore, cutting out all carbs will allow insulin to drop which in turn will allow fat to be released from fat cells: You lose fat. It is dose dependent. The more carbs you eat, the less fat you lose. The less carbs you eat, the more fat you lose. If you want to accelerate the process, eat more fat as well. The best source of fat is animal fat. It's not for no reason that Atkins recommends eating meat, fish and poultry.

At first, you may lose weight faster because you've got more fat to lose. Or because you are losing the water that was needed to store glycogen which you've depleted during the first week or so. But then as you progress you will lose slower until you reach your goal. That's what happens to me now. I lose at a rate of about 1-2 lbs per month and it's been about 8 months since I started.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-08, 23:49

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 906%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexymommy2
I have been reading alot about how excercise hinders weight loss and we should keep excercising to stay healthy. I have been lifting for a week now, will it slow down weight loss? I know in time I'll gain some muscle, but real weight loss. I've read alot about cardio slowing weight loss down. That doesn't hurt my feeling at all! I don't like cardio. Does anyone know if weight training slows down fat reduction?

Jacki

Hi, Jackie

I have been weight lifting for the last 6 months. I love it. I have lost inches and feel strong and absolutely terrific. I dont know about you, but I want to lose weight and tighten everything up. My butt is *higher* and firmer, no more wings on the arms and my tummy, flatter than pre baby #2 when I weighed 130. So, I strongly encourage you to continue your lifting. I can't imagine "staying in bed" benefiting ANYONE. Of course as a mom of two that isnt an option By the way, before I started lifting I was not losing faster, if anything I am seeing more results since lifting and my jeans are falling off and am wearing most of the clothes I could wear at 130#.

What lifting routine are you doing and how often. Be careful, it's addicting!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-08, 08:36

BF:

I don't lift "big time". I found a book, cant remember what its called, but you use a large excercise ball and weights. I seperate it in 3 catagories. Upper body, lower body and Core. Thats what it says in the book to. Mon, and Wed. I work Core and Lower body. Tue and Thur. I work upper body.
I walk 2-3 ml in the morning and I lift in the afternoon. I walk 1 ml directly after I lift. I read that it helps the muscles recover and build.
Fri-Sun in my house can be a little crazy and you never know whats going to happen. I hate to screw with my schedual, so weekends are a free for all
I don't eat that way on the weekends

I feel ok with this schedual. I know its recomended that you work each body part 3 x week. That just doesn't fit into my schedual. I thought body builders only lift each muscle 1x a week. Of course they probably get a little more aggressive than I do.

Jacki
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-08, 09:43

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 906%

Hi Jackie!

I don't have that kind of time either. I began with a full body workout that I do every other day but can easily be one twice or three times a week. Its only 7. Moves and I'm done. Perfect for this mommy of two!

By the way, cardio isn't necessary for fat loss at all. I am a recovering cardio addict...what a waste of time So if you're doing it for heart health great, but for fat loss...nothing!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-08, 19:24

BF:

Now that bit about cardio not helping is great! I don't like cardio.

In the book I've got, each zone(upper, lower, core) is done in about 10-12 min. On the days I do 2 zones, I'm usually done in 1/2 hour. THats my kind of work out!

Jacki
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-08, 17:49

Plan: low carb, carb cycling
Stats: 160/121/125 Female 65.5 inches
BF:under 10
Progress: 111%

2bflawless...tell me more about your cardio addiction. i feel i may be an addict too, and the past 2 weeks, i backed way off. so do you do any at all, or just lift? i must know everything! im with sexymommy, cardio kinda sucks, and it wont hurt my feelings if i shouldnt do it! but when i dont, i feel so guilty!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-08, 13:56
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexymommy2
Mon, and Wed. I work Core and Lower body. Tue and Thur. I work upper body.

Jacki - stop working so hard, and start losing more inches!

Seriously though, if you start doing SuperSlow (aka Slow Burn, as in The Slow Burn Revolution), you'll only have to work out twice a week, for 20 minutes a time. That's right: 20 minutes a time. Of course, that's only in the beginning. Once you really get going, you'll only have to work out one time for 30 minutes a week.

It will be the best cardio, flexibility, muscle building and body fat loss 30 minutes of your life. I'm no spring chicken, and in 10 weeks (just over 6 hours of exercise, TOTAL) -- I've got biceps so hard you can bounce a coin off of them, and I've gone down a size in clothes I've lost so much fat.

Weight - haven't lost a pound. I've gained about 7 pounds of muscle, and the increased blood volume and water that muscle needs - and I'm in the best shape of my life.

Because the workouts are intense but brief, my appetite is only slightly increased, though I note that I am definitely eating more calories, on a weekly average, than I was before - mostly fat calories, with a little extra protein. And, as I said, I am continuing to melt away before my eyes. Feeding muscle is serious work.

So, if you'd like to get off the 'exercise' treadmill of hours and DAYS of workouts, and have 30-40 minutes a week to spare -- check out the book from your library or on Amazon. The fat you lose may be your own.

Lisa
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-08, 20:30

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bflawless
Hi, Jackie

I have been weight lifting for the last 6 months. I love it. I have lost inches and feel strong and absolutely terrific. I dont know about you, but I want to lose weight and tighten everything up. My butt is *higher* and firmer, no more wings on the arms and my tummy, flatter than pre baby #2 when I weighed 130. So, I strongly encourage you to continue your lifting. I can't imagine "staying in bed" benefiting ANYONE. Of course as a mom of two that isnt an option By the way, before I started lifting I was not losing faster, if anything I am seeing more results since lifting and my jeans are falling off and am wearing most of the clothes I could wear at 130#.

What lifting routine are you doing and how often. Be careful, it's addicting!

SOLID ADVICE!