Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-26-02, 13:50
Registered Member

Plan: Shoogadownsizing!
Stats: 205/145/150 Female 5'4"
BF:F/C/C
Progress: 109%
Default Scared of Tweaking!

When I was on induction I lost very quickly, but then the rate of loss slowed down dramatically. I have lost consistently and quickly on every other diet I've ever been on. However, I never had the stamina to even get to goal. I know that if I did a little tweaking I could probably lose much faster, but I have had no trouble at all sticking to what I'm doing. I am afraid that if I tried this or that I wouldn't be able to get my lowcarb mojo back. Part of me wants to pull out all the stops and really go for a big whoosh but another part of me is telling me to just keep plugging away at my steady, albeit slow pace. I probably should focus on learning how to be content with the fact that I am losing, even if it is much more slowly than I'd like. Am I the only one who feels this way?
asugar
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-26-02, 14:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/112/107 Female 5'3"
BF:?
Progress: 90%

asugar:

I've been on Atkins for seven weeks now and have only lost 10 pounds. I didn't have that drastic loss that alot of people do during induction.

I know how you feel about pulling out all the stops. I too am getting impatient. It seems like it takes me 2 weeks to lose one blasted pound! A friend of mine told me that I need to "shock" my system again. I began to lose when my body was "shocked" into the low carb WOE and now it's sort of settling in and has gotten used to this WOE. So how would I "shock" my system? Eat a piece of chocolate cake? EEEKKK!! That's a scary thought.

I know I should be content with the fact that I'm losing but nevertheless I'm still disappointed that it's taking sooooo long!

I've been going to the gym regularly and busting my hump for the last week and a half. I thought that might move things a long a little quicker. So far, no

So to answer your question - Yes, I too feel the same way? Do I keep plugging along at a snails pace, shut up and be happy that I'm not gaining? or try something else?

Kim
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-26-02, 15:43
Registered Member

Kim, If I tried to eat a piece of chocolate cake to shock my system, knowing me, I would inevitably eat a chocolate cake................or two. Then I would go in search of some ice cream to go with it.
asugar
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 06:24

Stats: 155/112/107 Female 5'3"
BF:?
Progress: 90%
Smile Can I speed up the process?

asugar

I totally agree w/ you. But what are we supposed to do to "shock" our system? It takes me almost 2 weeks to lose one pound!!! I'm sticking to the low carb WOE like glue and I go to the gym 6 days/week!!!

How can I speed things up??

Anyone have any suggestions???

Kim
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-02, 12:23

Stats: 195/182/135
BF:
Progress: 22%
Cool Me too...

I have been lowcarbing since September 19, 10 weeks today, and have lost 14 pounds. The first 7 came off during induction, and it has been a slow, slow up and down journey for the other pounds. However, I am just going to plug away at it, I think it will take me a year to reach my goal. Even though this has been slow going, I feel really positive because I have actually been able to stick to a plan for 10 whole weeks, something I have never done in my whole life. Also, I have SO much more energy!!!! And I am sleeping very well, and I have suffered from insomnia for most of my adult life. Being well-rested and energetic is a revelation for me, the weight loss, slow as it is, is almost a bonus.

Have a great day everyone!!!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-02, 15:46
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi all,

I, too, was disappointed at first that my weight loss was so slow.

But this is a way of eating for life now, and I now consider that the weight loss is just a happy side effect.

If you go to our Research forum, you'll see loads of ways that this WOE benefits our health and well being - isn't that just as important as losing a little ( ) weight?

There are actually benefits to losing slowly. Really! The first is that the more slowly you lose, the more likely you are to keep the weight off. The next benefit is that losing slowly usually means you are less likely to have saggy, baggy skin.

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 05:56
Registered Member

Losing slowly may be good for my health but it sure isn't good for my disposition. About the only real benefit that I am aware of reaping is the fact that I'm no longer a slave to sugar. this makes me feel powerful.
asugar
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 06:27

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

Interesting thread. I've been doing a lot of thinking about this lately too. I lost most of my weight and inches From Nov 2001 to Feb 2002. In Feb I weighed 162. Now I weigh 155. So that's 7 pounds from March til now (10 months).

I've resigned myself (happily) to the following facts:

1. I'm still 35 pounds lighter than I was a year ago

2. I'm keeping it off

3. I'm 4 dress sizes smaller

4. I strongly believe that while we may be able to guide things along, we have absolutely no control over how fast it comes off or how many inches melt away. It's going to happen in it's own time if we keep doing things right. It's not like we can flip on a switch that will make things happen faster, and flip it off when we want to slow down. As much as we many want that, it's not going to happen. It doesn't work that way.

5. Slow and steady is healthier and easier to maintain in the long run.

6. "Pulling out all the stops and going for a big whoosh" isn't necessarily going to make things happen faster. You might pull out all the stops and have a small whoosh, and then plateau again for a long time. All it would mean is that you had a small or big whoosh, but it wouldn't mean you are losing any faster.

I guess the bottom line is we should be happy where we are. We're a heck of a lot further ahead than we were when we started.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 07:26
Registered Member

You're right, Angela. We should be happy with where we are compared to where we were. Two years ago I weighed over 200 pounds and I don't ever want to go back there again. I lost most of it by doing the WW diet and then I fizzled out on a cruise last year and started to gain some back so I started lowcarbing when I got up to 177 after having been down to 157.

Pulling out all the stops won't do a thing for us except give us a big whoosh and it's much better in the long run to learn how to maintain and lose very slowly than to melt overnight down to a size that we can't maintain.
asugar
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 18:12
Registered Member

Stats: 215/210/155
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Forget that darn scale

I don't know the scale was probably invented by those Low fat loving people. Do you feel thinner .?...When I work out I put on weight but fit into my clothes better! I recently threw out my scale and don't miss it....I will probably weigh in a the docs when I check my blood levels.