Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-08, 09:52

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:
Default Calorie readings on excercise machines

Good article...I've stated before that it is really is not important how many calories you burn during a workout but how many calories you burn AFTER your workout. Including HIIT ,tabatas, circuit bodyweight excercises and little rest between sets in your weight lifitng routine will ensure that you are burning calories hours after your workout.

As stated at the end of the article..listen to your heart.

Calorie readings an elliptical illusion?
by Howard Schneider - Nov. 29, 2008 12:00 AM
Washington Post
A little more than a year ago, I was killing time on an elliptical machine at a local gym, using a wristwatch heart-rate monitor to track the workout. The monitor had settings for my age, weight, sex and height, and kept a running count of the estimated number of calories used.

The machine's onboard electronics also provided a calorie estimate. After an hour, the discrepancy between the two was striking: According to the watch, I had used about 600 calories. The machine had me cracking 800.

Since then, I have intermittently repeated the comparison on different types of machines from different manufacturers and using heart-rate monitors from different companies. The result is typically the same: The machines come out with a higher calorie count than the heart-rate monitors, and the difference is often substantial.
Which to believe? Does it matter?

It's easy to get hung up in the numbers, but ultimately, any of the methods for calculating calories should be considered estimates. Short of going to a lab or clinic, the best you'll get is a sense of magnitude, whether you are using a high-end sports watch, a machine at the local gym or a manual formula (see sidebar).

A calorie is a measure of energy: When you read a food label, the number of calories reflects the amount of energy that is packed in there. Once that food is in your body, the potential energy gets unleashed through a few processes, but the dominant mechanism involves the use of oxygen to break down carbohydrates, fats and even protein into other chemicals. Though different fuel sources require different amounts of oxygen and produce different amounts of energy, the boiled-down version is that each liter of oxygen reflects the body's use of about 5 calories.

So to really count calories it's necessary to measure the amount of oxygen used - hence the crazy mask they hook you up to during exercise and stress tests. That's hardly practical at the gym.

But there is a good proxy for measuring oxygen use: your heart. As the body demands more oxygen during exercise, the heart beats faster to increase the supply.

How heart rate relates to oxygen consumption varies from person to person. Age, weight, sex, body composition, fitness level and other factors all play a role. Drawing from population models and their own research, the companies that manufacture heart-rate monitors have developed formulas that couple heart rate with those different variables and massage it all into an estimate of calorie usage.

The onboard calculators found on treadmills, elliptical trainers and other devices use basically the same approach. The machines, however, typically don't allow you to enter as much information about yourself as a heart monitor. The machine might ask for your weight and age, but not your sex or an estimate of your fitness level. Fewer variables mean a rougher guess.

In addition, the most important parameter of all, your heart rate, may well be missing from the equation.

Though exercise equipment typically has the capacity to measure heart rate, that requires the user to either keep a steady grip on a pair of electrodes or wear a chest strap that sends a signal to a wireless sensor.

Equipment makers can't assume that will happen, said Bob Quast, vice president of brand management for Life Fitness, one of the major exercise-equipment companies. So, at least in Life Fitness's case, the company builds formulas for estimating calories that are independent of the user's heart rate. The company does in-house studies using lab equipment to measure the calories burned in different types and intensities of exercise among people of different ages, weights and sexes. That information is built into the formulas used on the machines.

A number of studies have concluded that exercise machines typically err on the high side. One paper presented at an American College of Sports Medicine conference found the calorie counts on one brand of elliptical machine to be about 26 percent higher than lab-based estimates of the calories used. In their textbook Exercise Physiology, physiologists Sharon Plowman and Denise L. Smith cited several similar studies, including one that found error ranges of between 39 percent and 79 percent.

If a more precise estimate is important to you, then a heart-rate monitor might be a good investment. These are particularly helpful if you are just starting out and learning to gauge your effort level.

But keep in mind: It's still an estimate. Your own sense of how hard you are working will be, in many ways, just as helpful. In other words, listen to your heart.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-08, 10:19

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Too stressful anyway to be concerned with the calories burned in a work-out.

I do believe it is good to exercise to heart rate though.

For my age and conditioning, I use 180 minus my age and add 10 to it. That puts my exercise heart rate at about 130 and for me that is the maximum heart rate I can maintain for 1 hour or 2 hours without exhausting myself and I feel comfortable with it. My recovery rate when I stop is quick. My at rest heart rate prior to exercising this way was about 90 and now it is in the 60s'....
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-08, 15:28
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostrydr
I've stated before that it is really is not important how many calories you burn during a workout but how many calories you burn AFTER your workout. Including HIIT ,tabatas, circuit bodyweight excercises and little rest between sets in your weight lifitng routine will ensure that you are burning calories hours after your workout.

Yeppity yep. Days after, for weight-lifting.

Quote:
Calorie readings an elliptical illusion?

Yep again - and in a way far worse than the article describes. What machines and wrist tabulators and heartbeats fail to tell you is how 'caloric burn' is calculated. That's the dirty little secret - it adds your resting metabolism rate to anything you do on the machine. That's why you're required to enter your age, weight, etc. before you begin - so the machine can calculate what that rate is.

For instance, if at a given weight and age you were to lay in bed and do nothing, not even eat (that burns calories too) - and thereby burn 100 calories in an hour (making your basic metabolism 2400) -- the machine adds that 100 calories to your overall number.

Work out an hour and 'burn' 400 calories? Nope, you've actually only burned 300 more than you would have burned laying in bed. Not very inspiring though, which is why those extra 100 calories show up on the screen.

And, as you've noted - not anywhere near as useful as doing resistance training which, by building calorie-demanding muscle, will burn many more calories (mostly by using stored body fat on a low carb diet) than any form of steady-state cardio/aerobics.

Lisa