Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-08, 13:40

Plan: low carb, carb cycling
Stats: 160/121/125 Female 65.5 inches
BF:under 10
Progress: 111%
Default callenetics?

anyone heard of this? i was lurking around another forum (felt like i was cheating) and there was a thread of peoples before and after pics, from something called callenetics...?

anyone? the results were pretty sweet...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-08, 16:23
Absurdtive

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie o
anyone heard of this? i was lurking around another forum (felt like i was cheating) and there was a thread of peoples before and after pics, from something called callenetics...?

anyone? the results were pretty sweet...

I recall someone talking about this recently who liked it. Do a forum search for it and you should find the threads.

--Melissa
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-08, 17:26

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

#4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-08, 21:15

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I did Callanetics in high school and it was pretty astounding results. I haven't picked it up again although it is on my list of things to do. Calla's story is pretty fascinating - she ruined her body backpacking around the world, I think, and she had to develop exercies to fix it. The closest thing I can think of to Callanetics is Pilates. Callanetics is sort of like Pilates for nonhipsters.

Janine
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-08, 07:21

Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

It is fandabbydosey.

I can't do any other form of exercise - not even yoga, alexander, pilates etc..

I got "Callanetics for Beginners", which taught me how to adapt the exercises around very extreme physical debility caused by illness. I was able to work along with the tape and adapt every exercise to do them in my bed, mostly flat on my back. The movements are tiny, so the amount of energy they use it minimal, compared with the work-out the muscles get. I noticed a difference in the strength of my tummy muscles within 2 weeks. My waistline reappeared, my legs started to look more streamlined, and my behind moved upwards and developed a more defined, rounded shape. My BF, who cannot yet see any difference from my weightloss of over 30lbs since the summer, *does* see the difference from the Callanetics exercises, because the muscles pull the fat with them. As my muscles have developed, I find the exercises very taxing. I now only manage a maximum of 10-15 minutes intense exercises plus a few stretches, spread over the week. I did tummy exercises two nights ago, and leg stretches last night.

Healthy people can achieve miracles. A friend of mine who already had a wonderful, curvy figure UK size 12-14, (US size 10-12) transformed her body into a taut, smooth vision of fitness within weeks. She looked at least 2 clothes sizes smaller, yet not scraggy thin - just fabulous. A painfully thin friend had a horrible saggy, crumpled tummy from a pregnancy 16 years before. Within weeks of starting Callanetics, she was wearing crop tops. No joke! Someone posted about "Slow Burn", and I think it is similar in that it works very deeply at a core level.

I'd love to have a Callanetics challenge thread on this forum. I'd definitely join, if someone set one up.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-08, 10:38

BF:

I'm in, if there is a recommendation for a book or video. The only one I know of is 20 years old.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-08, 10:41

Plan: HF Atkins paleo
Stats: 230/144/150 Female 63 inches
BF:less/than/before
Progress: 108%

I want the DVD. I cannot remember all of the exercises, but I loved them. I feel very alive from Callanetics. I do a spin class twice a week, which is very fun. Callanetics twice a week mixed in with it sounds perfect to me.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-08, 12:23

Plan: HF Atkins paleo
Stats: 230/144/150 Female 63 inches
BF:less/than/before
Progress: 108%

I just bought the 10 years younger in 10 hours DVD from ebay for $10 (this incldues shipping). There are quite a few available.

10 years youdner in 10 hours is the original Callanetics workout. There are others out there, inclduing some newer workouts that don't appear to be Callan Pickney's, but kinda like Atkins 72, I want to stick with what I know can work.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-08, 12:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by faduckeggs
I just bought the 10 years younger in 10 hours DVD from ebay for $10 (this incldues shipping). There are quite a few available.

10 years youdner in 10 hours is the original Callanetics workout. There are others out there, inclduing some newer workouts that don't appear to be Callan Pickney's, but kinda like Atkins 72, I want to stick with what I know can work.

Thanks - that's the information I've been looking for.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-08, 15:43

Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

I have "Callanetics America's no.1 Fitness Video" and Beginning Callanetics" - both of which are original workouts with Callan leading:

" Beginning Callanetics" - in this Callan is instructing a group of people with some physical limitations, so she goes round the class correcting common faults and mistakes, and showing the different ways that each exercise can be adapted around physical limitations, like bad backs, knees, lack of flexibility, etc. The pace of this is gentle, with frequent reminders to relax so there won't be injuries. I find it very relaxing and almost like a meditation to do the routine , but the repetitive electronic music grates on my BF

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Cal...ref=pd_sim_v_11

"Callanetics - America's No.1 Fitness Video" (which might be the original version of "10 years younger") is more of a work-out, using or developing the exercises in the Beginners video, and adding some others. In this one, Callan does the exercises with the rest of the class. There is little instruction in this, because it is assumed that the basics are already in place. Whew! All I can say is this is way beyond me.

In the US, both of these are available on DVD from Amazon. I am in the UK, and was able to buy videos only.

A friend got the Callanetics book and it was chock-full of loads of additional exercises, etc..
only manage a little, but I'd appreciate setting myself goals of a certain number of hours per month, or whatever..