Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-05, 21:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/202/165 Male 68 inches
BF:Don't/Wanna/Know
Progress: 29%
Default Alas, Basic 3 is gone....

Hi there!

I've been doing the Atkins thing for nearly 9 months now. During this time, I've been relying heavily on Atkins Basic 3 and Essential Oils. Unfortunately, it seems like the Basic 3 is being axed, according to the Atkins website. Since it's sold out all over town and I can't seem to find a store that carries it, can anyone recommend a decent substitute that comes close to the Basic 3 that's about the same price?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-05, 06:47

Plan: Atkins/and calorie count
Stats: 188/178/124 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Did you try Vitamin World? Maybe they still have some.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-05, 07:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/190/160 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 50%

i think vitamin world carries their "own blend" if my memory is correct.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-05, 13:42
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%

IMHO, Vitacost has the best quality for the lowest price. If you are looking for a direct replacement for the Atkins Baisc 3 then check out:

http://www.vitacost.com/store/produ...&showbrand=7912

if it does not have to be a direct replace for the Atkins basic 3 then I would suggest the "Synergy" line at Vitacost:

http://www.vitacost.com/store/produ...&showbrand=7912

I would suggest that you buy the most expensive one that you can afford. They range from $15 to $280 per month. I take the Synergy men's.

Vitacost also has Omega 3s. This one is comparable to the Atkins

http://www.vitacost.com/Store/Produ...&SearchText=efa

Congrats on staying on the diet!!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 07:28

Plan: Atkins/and calorie count
Stats: 188/178/124 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

I saw them on Ebay this weekend!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 23:29

Stats: 194/131/135 Female 63 inches
BF:Too/Much/Fluff!
Progress: 107%

BooHooHoo!!!! I'm really getting discouraged about Atkins getting rid of their stuff. I didn't use much, but what I did use, I needed! When I saw this thread I went to the Atkins online store and was shocked to see them getting rid of everything. Obviously, I've been out of touch. I tried to buy some stuff at their good close-out prices, but the cost of shipping on semi-perishables was so high, it offset any savings they might have. I really trusted the Atkins 3, because I knew it was the formula Dr. Atkins recommended. I don't know who, or what, to trust now!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 00:41

Plan: Intermittent fast/Lowcarb
Stats: 251/199/180 Male 5 ft 10 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

I'm miserable too... My local Costco stopped carrying cases of LC shakes. They always had either Atkins or EAS. Now all they they have is sugary slim-fast. Thanks, Costco.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 03:18
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%

<<My local Costco stopped carrying cases of LC shakes. They always had either Atkins or EAS. Now all they they have is sugary slim-fast>>

Yeah, I shop at Sam's Club and for a while they had low carb everything. Now everything is gone -- even the pork rinds. I still like their steaks better than any other place.

<<I really trusted the Atkins 3, because I knew it was the formula Dr. Atkins recommended. I don't know who, or what, to trust now!!>>

Try the Vitacost stuff that I listed above. They switched me from Atkins brand to their brand. They are good and probably lowest cost.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 07:39

I went to the Atkins site last night and ordered what I could of what stuff is left. Most things are 75% off, which only highlights how over-priced everything was. It all just bums me out! Atkins Nutritionals got really greedy, IMHO, and sunk their ship. Before Atkins got trendy,and then exploited, they had their smaller line of supplements and nutritional products available for those people who were committed to this WOL. In their attempt to make megabucks off the consumer, they've killed their golden goose, so to speak, and now we can't even get the basic types of Atkins products that we really trusted. I feel used by the money grubbing system!!!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 14:00
Registered Member

Stats: 217/202/165 Male 68 inches
BF:Don't/Wanna/Know
Progress: 29%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekdahl
I saw them on Ebay this weekend!

Yeah, I saw them, too...but I don't know if I'd trust getting my vitamins off of Ebay. Besides, most of the people on there are selling expired packs. Mmmm...expired vitamins...
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-05, 04:37

Plan: Atkins/M&E
Stats: 275/268/160 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 6%

I've obviously missed something. Atkins is getting out of vitamin supplements???
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-29-05, 14:04

Stats: 185/154/155 Male 71
BF:18%+/14%/12%
Progress: 103%

I stopped shopping VitaCost. Both times I used them they were out of an item their web site indicated was in-stock. My order arrived with a note that I would need to wait a couple of weeks and re-order the out-of-stock item if I really wanted it. In the meantime, my shipping charges remained unchanged.

The best deal I have found is Bodyshaping multi by ProLab. It is available for $2.99 from www.netrition.com. Bodyshaping has similar quantities to Atkins Basic 3, but it also has Guarana (natural caffine) and green tea extract.

I took Basic 3 for about a year -- sorry to hear it is discontinued.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-29-05, 14:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIP
I've obviously missed something. Atkins is getting out of vitamin supplements???

I just went to the Atkins website and I can't find their online store at all- I guess they've closed it down. You can buy some Atkins products at other sites and online they talk about having offical Atkins partners that self their stuff retail, but I'm not sure how much is still out there. Sometimes I can get Atkins vitamins at GNC but I think someone said GNC is selling much less Atkins stuff, so maybe they are getting rid of Atkins too. I saw Dieters Advantage and Accel for 50% off a CVS today and I didn't see any other Atkins vitamins. I did like the Atkins Essential Oils formula. It seems sort of ominous that you can't buy Atkins supplements at Atkins own website though. Some of these supplements were available before the lowcarb craze hit, but now it seems like Atkins is dumping everything.I know the products division was sold off after Dr. Atkins died, and I'm guessing the new owners thought they would make a bundle on the low carb craze, so I guess now they are just cutting their losses. My guess is that they don't have the committment to helping people develop low carb health like Dr, Atkins did, so they don't feel any sense of loyalty to the people who have faithfully been using these supplements and trusted them. It's just a business to them!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-29-05, 14:26

After some searching of the Atkins website I found this blurb where the Atkins store used to be:

"As the market for low-carb products continues to change, Atkins is making some adjustments to keep our business on track and continue our vision. We are focusing our product offering on top-quality portable nutrition products like our bars, shakes, candies, some supplements plus a few new and exciting items. As a result of these changes, our Shop section will be down for a short time while we shift to a more efficient fulfillment center run by one of our partners. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and are targeting end of July, 2005 to be fully up and running again."

It sounds to me like they are mostly out of the vitamin business. Too bad. When Dr. Atkins was around I trusted the quality of their supplements and was willing to pay a bit more for them. I guess we'll have to wait to see what they are offering once their shopping area is back online.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-05-05, 11:48

Plan: Atkins as a loose guide
Stats: 237/149/135 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 86%
Default I am so bummed.......

My biggest disappointment was when I suddenly couldn't find the Atkins Banana Nut muffin mix on the shelves any more. I was on their website a couple weeks ago and they were still selling them, but I don't know if they will continue. I e-mailed them about that, but they never bothered to return a reply.

I'm also an instant-gratification kinda gal, and I don't like to order off the net. I want to be able to go to my local shops and purchase something. Also hate those shipping charges!

I ate my share of the atkins banana nut muffins while taking off 70 pounds and I LOVED them. I'm really gonna miss them. That and the Accel supplements...