Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1201   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-19, 18:59

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
So it is rather nice to rarely feel a lot of hunger, but by 20-22 hours into a fast I start to feel weak and shaky. I guess I just have to get my head around some of the various solutions they suggest like taking some salt (ugh, nasty), or bone broth (hate it &#128542, or pickle juice (double yuck &#129314. I really love this plan but it gets harder to stick to when they want you to eat or drink things you loathe!
YMMV, but I find that the 20-22 hour point is the hardest time for me in a 24, 36-hr or longer fast, but if I have some salt or bone broth and can make it to 23 hrs, it gets easier again (not always, but when my hunger disappears again I fast longer, if not, I eat some keto food). Luckily I like salt mixed with water and think of it as a nerve-synapse and energy restorer as I swallow it and imagine that it is the feeling a vampire would get when sucking blood. Swishing salt water around your gums and other mouth parts is good for them too (required when recovering from periodontal surgery). Follow the glass of salt water with a glass of plain water. You may only need one or two doses of salt to get over the hump, not continuous drinking of things you loathe for the rest of the fast.

Last edited by deirdra : Sun, Apr-14-19 at 19:09.
Sponsored Links
  #1202   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-19, 19:18

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Well maybe I’ll give the salt a try much as I hate it. Well actually I love salt and add it to all my foods. But just salt alone or in water just makes me gag. Maybe I’ll just have to pinch my nose and chug as I do if I try to drink some ACV. It doesn’t help that I’m currently in a rental while my home is being repaired and I have highly sulphuric well water here which smells and tastes like rotten eggs! My landlady assures me I’d get used to it but after 8 months I still hate it. 🤪
  #1203   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-19, 04:43

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

There is a File at OCN FB on supplements and electrolytes, maybe you can find options in that. Though IDM no longer recommends potassium, I still make a "Keto-Ade" drink, which is liquid Magnesium Citrate (comes in flavors like lemon) and a small amount of "Lite Salt", half K and half salt. That lemon flavor comes through even though it's a very small amount of both added to 24 oz of water. Plus I like broth as a replacement for dinner. And I drink a lot of hot and iced teas..maybe try some new flavors? Last night I had chicken broth w. a bit of butter and a Hot Apple Spice herbal tea.
Dr Fung also said that hunger comes in waves, often when you would normally eat, for me that is near lunch and dinner. Drink a lot of water and hot drinks like broth and tea, they are filling and you get past it. As Megan explained...you dont get hungrier.
  #1204   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-19, 12:07

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
...Anyway I ordered the house omelet (3 eggs with bacon, cheddar, mushrooms, onions and green peppers) with the side of sliced tomatoes (rather than their “normal” side of grits, home fries, or hash browns). It was delicious but I was so stuffed after eat just half that I had to take the rest home in a to-go box...

So it is rather nice to rarely feel a lot of hunger, but by 20-22 hours into a fast I start to feel weak and shaky.

This might be electrolytes, as other people have mentioned. But it also might be that you're not eating enough when you are eating. Half an omelet and another small meal at dinner (?) is not going to last you. The idea is not to starve yourself, but to shift your insulin response. When you eat, you should really feast!
  #1205   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-19, 12:27

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

ha! I remember that smell of FL water Merpig!

Hint on the salt thing, only use as much water needed to dissolve and throw it back all at once - you only have to taste it one time
  #1206   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-19, 12:39

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Well we’ll see. I’m at hour 22 right now and feel like I could eat an entire cow, and getting a massive headache. 😂 But I’m at my house (which is undergoing repair) rather than my rental, and nothing to eat or drink here other than one can of fizzy water, or water from the tap (which tastes ok. No sulphur). I guess that’s good and bad. I can’t cave while I’m here but can’t have anything to tide me over.

LOL, Keto rules say if you are hungry to eat something, preferably fatty. Fasting rules say if you are hungry DON’T eat anything but try to tough it out.

It’s interesting tracking my ketosis status every morning with my Keto Mojo blood ketone meter. It goes up and down a bit but I haven’t dropped out of ketosis in nearly a month. 1.4 this morning.

Last edited by Merpig : Mon, Apr-15-19 at 12:48.
  #1207   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-19, 04:21

Quote:
LOL, Keto rules say if you are hungry to eat something, preferably fatty. Fasting rules say if you are hungry DON’T eat anything but try to tough it out.

There is a happy medium teaser wrote about somewhere in this very long thread, and others on the OCN page do. Have a small piece of protein with fat...can of salmon, a few pieces of bacon, a hard boiled egg. Yes, it will "break your fast" and it may trigger you to eat more, but I have done that at dinner, am then able to sleep better and I wake up next day without hunger and continue fasting.
  #1208   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-19, 00:33

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/213/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl8
This might be electrolytes, as other people have mentioned. But it also might be that you're not eating enough when you are eating. Half an omelet and another small meal at dinner (?) is not going to last you. The idea is not to starve yourself, but to shift your insulin response. When you eat, you should really feast!

This is really great advice. I think this is part of the reason I’ve been stalling. I’ve been dieting since the 5th grade, so old habits die hard. I started tracking my calories and while I was eating one meal, 4 or 5 days a week, I was averaging under 500 calories or less!. 😱 The other days that I ate 2 meals a day, I was is the 600-700 range...or less. 🤦‍♀️ When I first started IF (September), I was really feasting and losing a few pounds a month (a lot for me) and had great energy. But things changed somewhere along the way. And it was that I was getting too restrictive and that was compounded by the muscle training I’ve started in the past two months.
  #1209   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-19, 11:59

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

I think it's almost impossible to eat too much on feast days. I consciously try to eat over 2000 calories and aim for at least 2200 (roughly my TDEE) or more. On some occasions I manage to eat about 2500. I just can't eat much more than that on a regular basis. So, I think the concern when fasting is never going to be whether you're eating too much, but always whether you're eating enough.

When you balance this out with fast days, my average intake is maybe 1200–1400, so I'm dropping weight steadily. If I was regularly eating less than my TDEE, my BMR would be plummeting and my body would resist dropping weight.
  #1210   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-19, 08:30

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 156/120/125 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 116%

On the salt thing - I find that sucking on little pieces of coarse pink salt (the kind you use in a grinder) not only tastes good but occupies my mouth for a while along the lines of chewing gum ... or snacking! Much better than quickly downing a glass of salt water.
I also find that vinegar (I make my own), salt and water makes a pleasing broth-ish tasting drink, to which I add no-salt, mag. citrate and lemon juice to as a morning ‘electrolyte’ tonic, or just the salt and vinegar on it’s own if I am on a fast.
  #1211   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-19, 09:49

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I drink herbal teas with coconut oil and a spoonful of dissolved collagen. The answer to Tiny-Kitchen_bone-broth.
  #1212   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-19, 04:41

Top ten Fasting Mistakes
by Dr Jason Fung on Mark's Daily Apple blog. Good short summary of Dr Fung's best tips...but after #10 and "Don’t Give into Cravings" is an ad for his green tea, a co-promotion with Mark.

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/top...sting-mistakes/
  #1213   ^
Old Thu, May-30-19, 07:17
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

This thread is either closed or the links to it obscured. I had to go back through my posts to find it. Do we know why?

Last week I suddenly overcame my mental barrier and was able to fast again. My weight had been creeping up, despite staying high ketosis. I was becoming desperately afraid that I would continue to get more and more puffy and end up as my old fluffy self.

Fasting got me back to my maintenance form.

Thank you again, Dr. Fung.
  #1214   ^
Old Thu, May-30-19, 07:23

? It is now the first thread under the sticky. I haven't had any issues with it.
https://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45

Glad you got back to fasting...I need to do the same.
  #1215   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-19, 22:33
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Glenda that's awesome. Sometimes it seems like a change-up is needed.

PJ