Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-01, 15:59

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 164/130/132
BF:
Progress: 106%
Default Should I buy gym equipment??

I'm looking at a weider home gym--- 2 station that looks like it has everything I used to use at the gym back about 4 years ago.
The time advantage has me thinking of investing in my own equipment.
Do you see advantage to joining a gym instead???
Ellie
Also--- used to go to the gym 4 days a week--- but afraid I wouldn't get there as often now.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-01, 16:31

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Tough question!
What did you like about the gym? What did you dislike? Are you a self starter? Did you enjoy group classes or meeting new friends? Do you have the space for the equipment you will need?Do you know anyone who has the weight equipment you plan to purchase? Do they like it? More importantly, do they use it?
Personally, if this is your first piece of equipment, I would recommend a good bench and a set of powerblocks. You can do quite a lot with that and it doesn't take much room.I currently have a Body Solid Pro Smith gym, a set of powerblocks, and an elliptical trainer. I have given away the semi recumbant bike, the stepper, the "health rider" and the treadmill. Warning here - just because I have this stuff doesn't mean I use it - although I am planning to start again. For a lot of people, exercise equipment makes it into the house with all good intentions. A month or so later it becomes a very expensive, sort of odd place to hang your extra clothes. A year later it makes it out to the garage and the following year makes it to the next garage sale. Check out any "used sporting goods" type stores you may have in your area - you can get some really good buys on stuff there.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-01, 17:09

BF:

Thanks Atriana...
First-- I don't know anyone with the exact equipment.
I do have an extra room for it.
I've had equipment in the past that I used...way back the original Body By JAKE .. which I used daily until it fell apart.
I had a stair climber until I moved and used to use that a few times a week.
Had a nice treadmill (gave to my daughter) prefer walking outside-- just couldn't stay motivated with that.
The gym--- hated when it was crowded--especially if I had to rearrange my routine because equip. was being used!

Continued below............
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-01, 17:18

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Ellie - I go thru the same question of torment.

Historically, I have the habit of laxing off on gym visits. Then hating myself for wasting the membership money (which is not cheap these days by any means).

At least if I buy my own equipment, it'll retail at some future garage sale of mine. And nobody else is ever on it when I need it

Seriously, if you have the space, invest in whatever equipment you want. I have a treadmill, a rowing machine, free weights, work out videos (yoga and aerobic) and those latex strap things for when I travel to hotels with no work-out facility. In fair weather most of my aerobic exercise is gotten in the great out of doors, so except for the weights most of my stuff is for bad weather.

Anyway, especially in the winter, it is just so much more convenient to work out at home. When the mood strikes,I only have to strap on the runners and I'm ready. I don't even have to start the car.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-01, 17:18

BF:

Sorry...
Anyway, did enjoy talking with others about exercises but prefer to work out alone and stay focused on what I'm doing.

The gym I belonged to is no longer here and I didn't really like the "atmosphere" I felt when I checked out the "GOLD'S".
There is a new all womens gym now but very limited equipment-- lots of classes.
There is one more I need to check into.
Don't want to sound stupid... but what are power blocks???
Am thinking of looking around again tomorrow--- can I check them out at Sports Equip store? Is that what I ask to see?
Thanks
Ellie
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-01, 18:22

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Power Blocks

Basically quick adjusting dumbbells that work with a pin sort of like a Nautilus machine. Don't rattle. Don't take up a lot of space. Shape is a little weird, but you get used to it quickly.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-01, 07:06

BF:

Thanks Sponge...
You snuck in the middle of my answer (server always thinks I'm inactive and diconnects so sometimes I have to do a 2 parter just to stay on)

But thats fine--- glad to get the input!!
I'm seriously leaning towards my own equip.-- gyms are expensive and they are crowded a good part of the time.
When I belonged before, there were some days that I went and there were so many people I just got sick of waiting for everything and had to do things I didn't want or just gave up and left--- aggravating!!
Also, sometimes--- just too lazy to go out again when I get home from work. With my own equip, I'd say I'm just going to relax today... but with everything right there--- I'd push myself to do even a 1/2 hour so I got in a lot more workouts than I would have
with the gym.
HAVE TO CONTINUE BELOW AGAIN>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-01, 07:16

BF:

As I said earlier--- when I moved I sold most of my past equip. so I figured I got my $$$ worth out of it.
Where you are, you have the cold winters to think about. Here its the very hot, humid summers! Believe me its no picnic to do anything strenuous outside in summer time here!
Very early AM and late evenings are the only good times for walking, running, whatever.
Anyway, today I will look around a little again and try to check out that last gym.

Atriana---- thanks so much! I will look into the Power Blocks too.

I'll let you know when I finally decide--- thanks girls!!

AND I'm sure you'll be seeing less of me when I finally start working out!!! (LESS of me in BOTH ways!!! )

Ellie