Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-18, 04:34

Plan: Keto
Stats: 232.8/190/165 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
This forum does not support fasting longer than a day, but there is a thread in Diabetes about Dr Fung's various protocols. https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=472377
Dr Steven Phinney is strongly opposed to fasting longer than 48 hours due to that protein depletion, Dr Fung is an outlier seeing this protein use as a "good thing" The Obesity Code is a terrific book to learn more and the Obesity Code Facebook page provides detailed information in the Files tab and moderator support for fasting.

Thank you for the information. To tell you the truth I had never fasted until this month. What I am is a big believer in evolution, and food was not as plentiful as it is today. Ancient man had to go without food on a regular basis of course they didn't call it fasting. I find it hard to believe that with all the adaptations the body has made for everything, that lack of food would not have been dealt with. I became an advocate of the book "Younger Next Year' that goes into evolution, and how our bodies react to what we tell it. I will certainly check out the information you have mentioned.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-18, 05:47
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by andante
I'm almost to my goal weight, and in the last couple of weeks my sagging skin has started to become noticeable.

google Cole Robinson & The Snake Diet...
he has tons of examples - tons of people who have shed their sagging skin through fasting...
good luck.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-18, 13:18

BF:
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotGal
google Cole Robinson & The Snake Diet...
he has tons of examples - tons of people who have shed their sagging skin through fasting...
good luck.

I can't stand that guy screaming for 5 seconds. The message is lost because of him. Why not listen to Dr. Ken D. Berry instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWh4qeVEaqw

Last edited by Dazed1 : Sun, Nov-04-18 at 13:26.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-18, 04:44

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I had the same reaction with his basic diet video. His name came up on a fasting FB page about a year ago; my conclusion was he is the guy that gives fasting a bad name. We need the guidance of a medical doctor with years of experience...Dr Jason Fung.

Thank you for posting that Dr Ken Berry video, he has so many videos I haven’t seen many of them, and this one was quite useful. After reading Robert's success story, I am back to adding some longer fasts for autophagy, both for cancer prevention and loose skin. I've noticed this time that after 4 years of incorporating fasting regularly, mostly an 18:6 or 24, that even longer fasts are easy. A cup of hot tea or broth is enough if I do get hungry, my body must know now that famine isn’t around the corner.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-18, 05:35
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed1
I can't stand that guy screaming for 5 seconds. The message is lost because of him. Why not listen to Dr. Ken D. Berry instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWh4qeVEaqw

Guess i’m Just one of the hundreds of thousands that understand what he’s trying to convey...... it works for me.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-18, 07:11

BF:
Cool

Quote:
I had the same reaction with his basic diet video. His name came up on a fasting FB page about a year ago; my conclusion was he is the guy that gives fasting a bad name. We need the guidance of a medical doctor with years of experience...Dr Jason Fung.

Thank you for posting that Dr Ken Berry video, he has so many videos I haven’t seen many of them, and this one was quite useful. After reading Robert's success story, I am back to adding some longer fasts for autophagy, both for cancer prevention and loose skin. I've noticed this time that after 4 years of incorporating fasting regularly, mostly an 18:6 or 24, that even longer fasts are easy. A cup of hot tea or broth is enough if I do get hungry, my body must know now that famine isn’t around the corner.

I have been doing only 2 day fasts, but now I am going to extend that up to a week. I have watched several of Dr. Fung's and Dr. Berry's videos and they are quite informative. I have also watched several videos on Dry Brushing, and although I am skeptical I am doing it. I was so close to getting it right 50 years ago when I was still in my 20s. I would only eat chicken broth, but I wouldn't do it on a consistent basis. I didn't know the science. Fasting was only something Mahatma Ghandi did. Also the FDA was saying the exact opposite of what I was thinking. Even within the last 20 years I went to a lecture by Dr. Dean Ornish and tried his diet - the only thing I lost was hair.

Last edited by Dazed1 : Mon, Nov-05-18 at 07:17.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-18, 06:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed1
I have watched several of Dr. Fung's and Dr. Berry's videos and they are quite informative. Fasting was only something Mahatma Ghandi did. Even within the last 20 years I went to a lecture by Dr. Dean Ornish and tried his diet - the only thing I lost was hair. https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=472377

Sympathize with the hair comment!
There is information to point you in the right direction on the Dr. Fung thread. And the Obesity Code Facebook page is full of practical advice that we do not post on this forum.
https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=472377
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-18, 10:34

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

How did this thread turn from sagging skin into fasting?

I'll share a little about my skin and as my daughters have said many times, I have great skin. They've shown me pics of friend's mothers and said, Mom she's the same age as you, look at her skin compared to yours!

So am I lucky or is it genetics IDK but I didn't even start to get wrinkles until my fifties. I first started with crows feet only a couple of years ago.

Here are my tips. I have used Nutrigena facial soap for 40 years, it's very mild. It's a clear bar sold everywhere like Walgreens or any other pharmacy.
I use Oil of Olay for the face and Lubriderm for all over body moisturizing which I do every single time after I take a bath and dry.

My mother in her 70s had great skin and she always said, don't put soap on your face. I would argue and use my nutragena soap so she said fine but I better moisturize.

In the past couple of years I have heard her advise of no soap on the face, it's been ringing in my ears even though she's gone....it's very drying and removes the natural moisture. She had such gorgeous skin that people would actually stop us when we were out in public to tell her.

One last thing, I've had 4 children and have NO stretchmarks because of the Lubriderm. It works, and does not leave a greasy feel, it totally absorbs into the skin!

Those are my tips!
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-18, 11:23

Quote:
How did this thread turn from sagging skin into fasting?

My fault, see #11.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-18, 11:47

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I know, I said it more with tongue in cheek. I read that link, very interesting that overweight people have more protein in the extra tissue.

Quote:
Third, the point about excess skin is very interesting. I have no proof other than anecdotes, but many people have found that fasting helps their loose skin. Remember that skin is not fat, it is protein. During fasting, there is a period of time where protein is being catabolized (broken down) to burn for energy. This is not a bad thing. In this case, it is very good. Obese individuals have an estimated 20-50% more protein than lean people. This is all extra tissue that needs to be removed. In the IDM program, we’ve had people lose hundreds of pounds, just like Robert, and we’ve never referred anybody for skin removal surgery.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-18, 15:23

BF:
Cool

Quote:
Sympathize with the hair comment!
There is information to point you in the right direction on the Dr. Fung thread. And the Obesity Code Facebook page is full of practical advice that we do not post on this forum.
https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=472377

I am 1/3 of the way through Dr. Fung' book on fasting, and I am on the 2nd day of a fast. I hope to make it 7 days. The health benefits even other than weight loss are amazing. I could kick myself because I was on to this 50 years ago, but I listened to the conventional wisdom of the time.