Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-01-05, 10:34
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Ashwagandha?

Has anyone else tried Ashwagandha to help with thyroid? I believe I'm a wee bit hyperthyroid at the moment. I haven't increased my dose. Only two things have changed: I'm eating more calories and a bit more carbs and I'm taking Ashwagandha.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-05, 09:19
Experimenter

BF:

It seems to have passed. I'm sleeping fairly well again and feel like I have a lot more energy during the day.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-05-11, 14:07

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
It seems to have passed. I'm sleeping fairly well again and feel like I have a lot more energy during the day.

Found this post whilst Googling and just thought I'd bump it to let you have this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16355578

Quote:
[Thyrotoxicosis following the use of ashwagandha].
[Article in Dutch]
van der Hooft CS, Hoekstra A, Winter A, de Smet PA, Stricker BH.
SourceInspectie voor de Gezondheidszorg, sectie Geneesmiddelenbewaking, Postbus 16.119, 2500 BC Den Haag.

Abstract
A 32-year-old healthy woman developed thyrotoxicosis while taking capsules that contained ashwagandha herbal extract for symptoms of chronic fatigue. She was not taking any other remedies or medications. During the first few weeks, she took the capsules only occasionally without any symptoms, but after increasing the dose, she experienced clinical symptoms indicative of thyrotoxicosis. This was confirmed by laboratory assessment. The symptoms resolved spontaneously after discontinuation of the ashwagandha capsules and laboratory values normalised. To our knowledge, this relationship has not been reported previously in humans. Data from animal studies, however, have suggested that ashwagandha can increase serum concentrations of thyroid hormones. This case study suggests that thyrotoxicosis is a potentially serious side effect of ashwagandha.

I may take it again to try and boost my thyroid a little - but this lady obviously overdid it!!!

amanda
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-11, 13:10

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawald
Found this post whilst Googling and just thought I'd bump it to let you have this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16355578

I may take it again to try and boost my thyroid a little - but this lady obviously overdid it!!!
Interesting. The NP who switched me to Armour thyroid also recommended a supplement that is primarily ashwagandha to address some mild adrenal issues. So I'm currently taking both and not having any problems. Up to 150mg (2.5 gr) of Armour now. I never even heard of thyrotoxicosis until now!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-11, 16:08
Experimenter

BF:

I'm taking ashwaganda now to address adrenal issues too. No problems with hyperthyroid!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-11, 01:09

BF:

Hi Debbie and Nancy!

If I could find the original paper, I would be curious to know how much of the stuff the Dutch lady in question actually took!!!

Personally, I think ashwagandha is a righteous supplement and will start taking it again as soon as my delivery from the UK arrives.

I had to witness a consignment worth the princely sum of $9.38 being tossed into the trash at the customs the other day: it was the ashwagandha I ordered a couple of months ago...

The Germans are taking a new EU regulation very seriously. According to this new law, various supplements used in ayurvedic medicine and TCM are no longer allowed to be imported by private individuals as they are deemed to be useless by the powers that be in the European Parliament.

The fact that these supplements have been used for centuries - if not longer - in India and China counts for nothing, of course!!! There haven't been enough "double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled" blah blah studies for the European bureacrats...

I wonder how many of them were given a secret handout from the pharma industry for voting against alternative medicine???

It was interesting to find on pubmed that ashwagandha has been successfully used in breast cancer experiments. I bet the pharma industry doesn't like that one bit.

Anyway, rant over.

I do hope you ladies get some relief with the ashwagandha and no hyperthyroid symptoms.

amanda
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-11, 10:51

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawald
The Germans are taking a new EU regulation very seriously. According to this new law, various supplements used in ayurvedic medicine and TCM are no longer allowed to be imported by private individuals as they are deemed to be useless by the powers that be in the European Parliament.

The fact that these supplements have been used for centuries - if not longer - in India and China counts for nothing, of course!!! There haven't been enough "double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled" blah blah studies for the European bureacrats...
Grrr, I live in fear that similar things might happen here in the US also. I'd be so upset! How do you plan to get your current order of ashwagandha, and not have it also be confiscated?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-11, 17:27

Plan: real food/no junk
Stats: 188/145/120 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%

Yikes, that would be awful -- I just learned enough about ashwagandha to want to try it. Maybe I should order a boatload :-)
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-11, 00:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlee
Yikes, that would be awful -- I just learned enough about ashwagandha to want to try it. Maybe I should order a boatload :-)

Hi there!

If you do, try this one:

http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formula...-Caps/3302?at=1

I've linked you to the page which has the product reviews, too, so you can see for yourself what other people have to say about it.

I've used the "NOW" brand before and didn't really notice any difference in anything at all from using it, but with this one, I have the impression that it does have some effect!!!

amanda
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-11, 09:18
Experimenter

BF:

I'll have to try it. It is $2 cheaper at Swanson Vitamins. Not sure if they export though.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Nov-06-21, 20:41

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 110/107/105 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 60%

I'm interested in trying ashwagandha. I tested hypo before, never treated it as I don't like big pharma, and continue to have pretty much every symptom of hypothyroid.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Nov-07-21, 03:25

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

My mild symptoms of hypothyroidism have pretty much resolved by improving nutrition ( see my success story) you can see how much thicker my hair, weak brittle nails now growing, weight loss, no bouts of feeling cold in a NC summer, skin not so dry, etc. No supplements, but adjusting the nutrition to address them. For the first free nutrient analysis, I had checked these all, thinking not only were they minor health symptoms, but long-standing…yet the food works…slowly.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Nov-07-21 at 04:22.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Dec-27-21, 02:06

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 110/107/105 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 60%

I like the ashwagandha so far.