Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 07:25
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 176/152/132 Female 5ft 3.5in
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default quorn products

Hi
It looks like I can't eat tofu in the induction phase of Atkins diet. I am a veggi, no meat no fish.
So, in the first phase, can I eat quorn products like quorn burgers etc.(I really like them)?
Also what about soya products like soya nuggets etc. & cheeses like brie?
Please help as i am looking to start Atkins this weekend.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 07:38

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Tofu doesn't have that many carbs. Follow this link:

http://www.soyfoods.com/soyfoodsdescriptions/tofu.html

Quorn pieces is only 5.8g per hundred g which isn't too bad. You could eat 100g a day. Brie is very low in carbs. You could also investigate tvp (textured veggie protein). Under the circumstances you might include a few of the lower carb nuts (almonds and walnuts) to keep your protein up. If you eat eggs, remember you can have any amount of them on Atkins - they won't hurt you - honest.

You could also try making things with soy protein powder which is near 0 carbs. I've made pancakes with it.

Good luck.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 08:08

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

You might like to peek at Etoilles journal. She has had amazing success as a vegetarian following atkins. Read through the theads on this board as well and I am sure you will find the info you need to get started.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...9&page=36&pp=15

Jenn
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 18:01

Plan: Atkins (Vegetarian)
Stats: 150/138/117 Female 4'10"
BF:Pregnant. Weight L
Progress: 36%

Hi Deepti!
You can eat tofu! You don't have to be down to 20 carbs a day to get into ketosis, especially if you exercise.

Faith
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-27-04, 01:15

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

Elsah you are too kind

I think that on a low carb diet it's important to get your protein in when removing many of the carbs so I would eat the tofu and quorn products. Both provide the protein and are pretty low in carbs. I also ate similar products in induction and had a good start so I do not think it hindered me.

To each their own!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-30-04, 01:51

Plan: LC Vegetarian
Stats: 260/254.5/160 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%?
Progress: 6%
Smile Pancakes with soy protein powder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFletcher
Tofu doesn't have that many carbs. Follow this link:

Quorn pieces is only 5.8g per hundred g which isn't too bad. You could eat 100g a day. Brie is very low in carbs. You could also investigate tvp (textured veggie protein). Under the circumstances you might include a few of the lower carb nuts (almonds and walnuts) to keep your protein up. If you eat eggs, remember you can have any amount of them on Atkins - they won't hurt you - honest.

You could also try making things with soy protein powder which is near 0 carbs. I've made pancakes with it.

Good luck.

How do you make pancakes from the soy protein powder? My husband missed pancakes the most since going low-carb. Are they tasty,the ones you make? Could I have the recipe so we could try it?
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-30-04, 05:33

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Just use the soy protein powder as if it were flour. I usually eke it out with some soy flour as the protein powder is rather expensive. You need the batter to be a bit more eggy than for normal pancakes as this is the only thing which holds them together. Also, add less milk or water.

I make pancakes quite often. I eat then with sweetener and lemon juice or spread with diabetic sf jam (jelly).

P.S. You can make them just with soy flour but they will be a bit high in carbs so don't eat too many. They taste like pancakes with a slight soy taste. I love them - if you don't like soy you'll hate them.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-04, 17:16

Plan: LC Vegetarian
Stats: 260/254.5/160 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%?
Progress: 6%

Fortunately for me, i love soy. Thanks for the info RC.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-08, 06:01

Plan: moderate carb (ww points)
Stats: 166/148/133 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 55%

[QUOTE=RCFletcher]Tofu doesn't have that many carbs. Follow this link:

Quorn pieces is only 5.8g per hundred g which isn't too bad. You could eat 100g a day.

hello i also read on the packet that it is only 5.8g carbs per serving - but if you subtract the ampunt of fibre in it then i work that out to be net carb count of only 0.3g? is that not correct?