Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-10, 11:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/270/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress:
Default New Ideas For A Stall

I used to do Atkins years ago (in the 70's with great success), then again in the late 90's with very little success. I'm about to try it again, but with new knowedge.

I think I know what to do to avoid stalls/plateaus this time:

1. Bovine hormones are in most dairy and non-organic meats and poultry. I think sometimes this is a big culprit people don't know about. Therefore, it's best to choose organic/hormone free dairy for your cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, milk and butter, etc. (which is available in most regular grocery stores now), and to choose hormone free meats and poultry (which can be expensive) - available at Whole Foods. Also, it will help to choose (low mercury wild, not FARMED) fish instead of (non-organic) red meats more often for your meat sources. After someone has been on Atkins awhile, the get a buildup of those bovine hormones in their system, and even though they are NOT cheating, they hit a stall/plateau and it doesn't make SENSE. It is necessary to get RID of those stored up (in our fat stores) bovine hormones we have ingested in the past. That is because they contain BAD estrogens (there are good estrogens, see #3 below). Those BAD estrogens sit in our fat stores and actually create more fat on their own! To get rid of them it's necessary to eat cruciferous veggies and/or take a supplement called DIM (Google it!). DIM is readily available and not that expensive (yet). Many women have thyroid dysfunction and so their cruciferous veggie intake should be steamed or stir-fried, not raw, as the raw cruciferous veggies will invalidate their thyroid meds or further slow their thyroid.

2. Fish has its own problems, namely the heavy metal mercury. Plus, everyone through the environment is exposed to many heavy metals which is unavoidable. Heavy metal toxicity (even slight) will make weight loss more difficult, sometimes impossible. It may be interesting to take a heavy metal "challenge" test available through a naturopath and some forward-thinking doctors to find out exactly what heavy metals you may have in your system. But no matter what kind you've got, you can benefit from a good round of oral chelation capsules. I happen to use some from Dr. Teresa Ramsey in Scottsdale, Arizona. Google her website if you wish. Many others are offering similar oral chelation capsules. They are also combined with a complete mineral complex (because the chelation therapy indiscriminantly removes lots of minerals at the same time). Another added source of good minerals is Seroyal brand Colloidal Multi Mins Liquid, which tastes fine in water, unlike some other mineral drops out there. Oral chelation therapy will make you feel noticeably great if you indeed had a heavy metal problem, and you'll notice your plateau lifting, realizing that was part of the problem.

3. Another issue, especially for women, is that they are UNAWARE they are going into menopause earlier and earlier these days, due to the bad estrogens in our food and environment, so they may not realize they need to go on HRT before they actually considered it yet. They can get a blood test panel to find out what hormones they may have out of balance, and then have a doctor or naturopath who can prescribe BIOIDENTICAL hormones (NOT THE OLD FASHIONED HRT), which will be compounded at a compounding pharmacy exactly to their hormone needs. Having your hormones in balance will aid in weight loss efforts, muscle building, insomnia, hot flashes, PMS, etc. Topical OTC progesterone cream may not be strong enough! Many doctors prescribe a testosterone pellet (to be renewed every 4 months), oral progesterone, and oral estradiol (the GOOD estrogen).

4. Women especially, on Atkins, are at risk for losing muscle when they follow a low carb diet. This alone can lead to a stall/plateau because the metabolism lives within their muscle mass, and they've lost muscle mass if they didn't pay attention to weight-bearing exercise while dieting on Atkins. That is why people experience less and less success when they use Atkins over time and hit more frequent stalls/plateaus, because each time they start again they are working with less muscle mass. Therefore, it's important they do muscle building exercise in addition to the aerobics. (Also, if they are low on TESTOSTERONE (see #3 above), their exercise efforts won't pay off as well, so it's important to get hormone levels checked to see if they can benefit from TESTOSTERONE (pellets are convenient). I also take an Amino Acid complex before bed each night (I happen to use Hi-Health's HGH 3X) (it's not HGH, it's just amino acids that help the body to create its OWN HGH...). That helps the body build muscle too.

5. I also take Relora, which lowers cortisol, and avoid caffeine. Caffeine will increase cortisol, which makes the body resist losing weight. Doctors can test cortisol levels, but you can tell if yours needs lowering if you have a weight distribution with a lot of belly fat, that is a good indication. If you take some Relora for a few days and your belly gets flatter and you start losing weight without changing anything else, then you know your cortisol was too high. You don't want to overdo the Relora, because then you'll start getting GROGGY (the bottle instructions will explain the correct dosage).

6. The emphasis on water intake is good, but many people don't realize that TAP WATER won't help and may hurt your weight loss efforts because of the toxins. I use distilled or reverse osmosis water only. Many water delivery companies now provide distilled in the big 5 gallon bottles for only about $1 more per bottle than their regular water.

7. Good fats must be introduced as well, such as flax oil, a GOOD fish oil with the least amount of mercury in it (I found out about xtendlife Omega 3 /DHA Fish Oil and started using it recently. Organic coconut oil is also great to introduce, especially if you are hypothyroid.

8. Some women are severely insulin resistant and on their way to Diabetes Type 2, and can benefit from a course of Metformin/Glucophage (been around for decades and inexpensive). In fact, many doctors believe in putting all their patients on Metformin/Glucophage after age 50 just because to avoid blood sugar problems.

9. I also take a product called Metagest by Metagenics. There are other similar products in abundance in the market that contain hydrochloric acid (HCl). Hyrdrchloric acid will help with digestion, sluggish colon, constipation sometimes experienced with Atkins. Even people who are not on Atkins need to have enough HCl.

I am confidently re-starting Atkins for the 3rd time in my life, but now I'm armed with lots more knowledge. I'll re-post with my progress! I'm currently 270 at 5'9" and am age 52. I also recently started on BIOIDENTICAL HRT for the first time, and began an oral chelation therapy program which is making me feel better (my test revealed I had high levels of LEAD). I take Relora and know where the bovine hormones in our food sources hide and how to avoid them. I also take DIM and use (steamed or stir-fried) cruciferous veggies to get rid of the BAD estrogen stores. NOTE: BIOIDENTICAL HRT does not contain BAD estrogens. I know I was hypothyroid already, and take something called Thyodine (similar to Armour) from www.greenwillowtree.com. I'm aware that the old ranges doctors used to use are way off and my free T4 is now great at something like .01 (that's from 6.4 in the past) without using Synthroid. I will probably find that I need less and less of my thyroid med after use of my oral chelation therapy, metformin and DIM, which can be the case because SOME of my hypothyroid symptoms can be caused by heavy metal toxicity, insulin resistance and BAD estrogens.

I've looked all over the internet and so far, haven't seen all this advice in one spot with regard to lo carb dieting stalls / plateaus. You may now benefit from years of my own experience and hours of research by simply following the above info. Having a Naturopath you see about twice a year (usually not covered by insurance) along with having a regular doctor (to order tests through your insurance company -- and to have on hand in case you break a leg or something) is a great way to go. Plus, a naturopath will spend more than 15 minutes with you. Mine will spend 2 hours with me. Regular doctors only need 15 minutes because that's all the time it takes to write a new prescription... The two of them don't have to agree on everything. Let your doctor run your tests, share the results with your naturopath, then do what your gut, your self-knowledge, and your naturopath says. Then present your regular doctor with your great resulting blood test results...read it an weep dude!

BTW, I believe more emphasis on naturopathic medicine is the real answer for our health care debate. Naturopaths need to start being covered by insurance, and the government needs to stop their lying "studies" and squelching scientific data that doesn't support their financial alliances with the AMA, AHA and the FDA, etc. If people start getting educated (the internet is a great tool) and stop believing everything they see on TV commercials and all the prescriptions their regular doctors try to put them on, and stop getting all their medical info from Dr. Oz and The Doctors show (which only give us tidbits of fast-paced fluff interjected with more commercials, and often leave out the most helpful info due to their financial alliances) and start eating more hormone-free foods and whole veggies, and help themselves and PREVENT a lot of problems, they WON'T NEED THEIR DOCTORS NEARLY AS MUCH. Then the excessive amount of regular doctors who won't tell us the truth (even though sometimes they know the truth) will be replaced with good naturopathic doctors who will help us help ourselves. Then a lot of the regular doctors will be standing on the corners with their white coats asking people if the'd like to buy a prescription. And don't even get me started on the pharmaceutical industry, which is in bed with your regular doctor. Then we won't all end up with diabetes and alzheimer's and heart disease and cancer, which only increases premiums and the healthcare burden on America, and puts money in the pockets of doctors and the pharma industry which are slowly killing us. Doctors make money when we visit them, when they prescribe multiple prescriptions to us, and when they give us wrong advice, which leads to our worsening health, then they make MORE money when we are eventually hospitalized (because of the bad care and bad info) and "treated" at great expense (and profit for the doctors/hospitals) there until we die (when we've outlived our financial usefulness to the medical industry). The solution to the health care debate is for Americans to take back their health through self-education, refusal to be put on unnecessary prescriptions, refusal to follow the wrong advice of their regular doctors, their decision to visit their naturopath despite it not currently being covered by insurance, demanding cheaper organic foods in their grocery stores, boycotting non-organic dairy at their grocery stores, by insisting that naturopaths be covered by insurance in the future, and boycotting the fast food industry 100% until it DIES.

Don't eat fast food, even the "diet" fast food, it still contains bad hormones and toxic chemicals that will slow down weight loss. Don't trust the diet industry with all its powders and shakes and pills (I don't even use Atkins products). Don't trust the FDA with all these new drugs that keep getting recalled, like Alli and Yaz, etc. NEVER take BCPs, even if you have PCOS. If you have PCOS, there are better ways to balance your hormones (see a naturopath). Not all naturopaths are created equal, so find a reputable one with a big practice and lots of patients. I just saved you $10,000.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-11-10, 09:07
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

Just came across your post and want to thank you. I recently had a saliva test sent off and my cortisol levels are high and progesterone levels very low. The doc recently put me on progesterone cream compounded at the pharmacy, 50 mg/ml, once daily at bedtime. The doc, however did not address the high cortisol with meds at all. Maybe he thinks getting the progesterone levels normal will fix that? Not sure what his thinking is.

I've been under chronic stress for the last five years. Father died 5 yrs. ago and we were extremely close. Mother has since moved into a diagnosis of MCI (Mild Cognitive Impairment) which is often followed by Alzheimers if the patient doesn't eat well, exercise, socialize, get mental stimulation daily, stop smoking and have good vitamin B-complex levels. My Mom does none of these, and resists all of them! She's extremely forgetful and this could be dangerous re her medical world. I'm the nearest family member (2.5 hours away) and managing her this last 5 years has been extremely stressful. She is uncooperative with me and my brother now, making things ever worse. Sadly, 40-60% of MCI folks DO movve on to Alzheimer's, so the caregiver stress/management for me will NOT get better over the next 5-10 years, either.

Needless to say, the stress has had me stalled 8 mos. now, and I never, but NEVER, cheat on the Atkins WOE.

Anyway, I heard about Relora for the first time in you post and may just give it a try to lower cortisol. It may help and if I have no problems taking it, I may must continue it long term.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-12-10, 12:13

BF:
Progress:

Dear Buttoni:

I'm glad you saw my post and I'm sorry to hear you have been under so much stress for so long. Stress does deplete progesterone stores, and you are probably low on progesterone already anyway. You also should check into getting bioidentical estrogen. Estrogen is made up of estradiol, estrone and estriol. Once you are tested for levels of all 3, they can compound some "estrogen" for you that is customized to your needs of each type. If you body is extremely low on estrogen, that will "stress" your body too and make you more uncomfortable and prone to eating to relieve the stress.

I don't know what level of Adkins you are at but if you are always on level zero then that represents a stress to your body, that will also raise cortisol. So you might try going to a more lax version of Adkins while at the same time increasing exercise intensity. Our bodies get used to a certain level of exercise so we have to change it up. I think refocus on exercise would also help with your stress.

Yes definitely get some Relora, I think it will help with stress and belly fat. Interestingly, macadamia nuts also help with belly fat. I buy them cheapest at COSTCO. Always keep them in the freezer when not in use (rancitidy).

If your mom suffers from pre-Alzheimer's, now that Alzheimers is also referred to as Diabetes Type 3. IOW, Alzheimers has been connected to a bad blood sugar profile, so anything that can help improve blood sugar will ward off worsening of Alzheimers. A good one is Metaglycem-X (which is a cinnamon-based blood sugar complex) by Metagenics. I think you'll have to get it through a doctor or naturopath. metagenics.com

I think YOU could benefit from the Metaglycem-X, because obviously you have gravitated toward Adkins b/c of your body's handling of sugar, and it seems to run in your family to have a bad blood sugar profile. This will be exacerbated by STRESS, and make diet success more difficult, which may explain that even though you don't cheat, you hit plateaus. So get some Metaglycem-X, or start taking CINNAMON capsules a few times a day (probably starting around mid-day). You might be able to introduce some more good carbs and still lose weight if you are on a daily cinnamon or Metaglycem-X regimine, as long as you exercise.

I think ppl on Adkins tend to overlook exercise too often thinking they can do it all with diet. But exercise is very important in so many ways, not only with weight loss. It helps balance hormones, removes toxins, lowers blood pressure, lowers stress, lowers cortisol, lowers bad estrogens, improves insulin resistance, etc.

I don't know if you have ever used an eliptical machine, but they are pretty painless. Walking is great around the neighborhood. A lot of people are starting to get back on the adult tricycles for fun and exercise. I recently ordered Hip Hop Abs which looks like fun for inclement weather.

Take care and let me know you how do.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-10, 08:10
Patience Personified

Aathanas, thanks for the reply. They said my estrogen levels are very good as are my testosterone levels. And you're right about the exercise. I was taking absolutely no hormone replacement for the last 10 years, ever since all the negative publicity and links to cancer with so much of the HRT commonly prescribed by doctors. I only just recently learned of BHRT and am glad my new doctor is into doing that testing.

And I confess I've been guilty of doing only walking, and not everyday, either. And during stressful periods, I tend to not be hungry and eat less, as well as exercise less. That's ALWAYS been my stress response. And I know, intellectually, that's precisely the time I NEED to eat better and exercise MORE! But as is so often the case in life, we don't do what our minds tell us is best for us.

But am going daily now and plan to continue/increase doing so now, that I see tangible test results indicating my obvious need. No more excuses to get out of the exercise as I'm prone to do. I do hope to see improvements in all the areas you mentioned exercise impacts. Thanks sfor the kick in the bu##. I needed that!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-10, 08:13
Patience Personified

Oh, and thanks for the Metaglycem-X and cinnamon capsules tips. I see a source for the MetaglycemX on the net.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-10, 03:42

BF:
Progress:

Dear Buttoni: Thanks for updating me so quick -- I wasn't sure how often you check in here -- I probably rarely check in myself.

I'm surprised you aren't in need of bioidentical estrogen, it makes me wonder how familiar with these hormone issues your doctor is. Since hormones are so important in addressing energy, depression, weight gain, etc. -- I think it might be worthwhile if you got a second opinion from a doctor who specializes in bioidentical hrt (particulary if they are a well known naturopath -- particiularly if it's a woman naturopath). The more familiar they are with the BHRT stuff, the better service you'll get, and a different doctor may even order completely different tests or additional tests than what was originally ordered by your regular doctor. If you pass over this hormone matter too quickly you may not uncover all the causes of some of your symptoms. It isn't likely that someone whose mother is old enough to suffer from Alzheimer's isn't herself of an age to need some form of estrogen along with that progesterone. Also, testing blood levels of testosterone is not enough to get the entire picture for testosterone: a separate test for "Free T" must be done to really determine what's happening with your testosterone levels. I'm afraid that some more traditional doctors who used to prescribe the old HRT are simply now prescribing BHRT, but yet are relying on the same old tests they used to use when they prescribed the old HRT and haven't learned anything new about hormones in decades. It really takes working with a doctor who specializes in women's hormones to get to the nitty gritty. Just a strong suggestion.

I know what you're talking about when it comes to inertia and lack of energy and having a hard time getting moving to start with, as a response to stress. It's like closing into your own cocoon and not eating much nor moving much as a way to handle the stress. That raises cortisol for sure and the response might be something we got into the habit of as children, but it doesn't serve us now that we are middle aged and need to be moving DAILY. In fact, we probably need to do something aerobic every 12 hours just to keep our metabolisms revved up.

I recently put my Laz-y-Boy on mothballs and put down a yoga mat and beach towel in its place. I decided the exercise of getting up and down would be good and unavoidable and that eventually my body would build up to the task -- which it seems to be. I have an exercise ball and foam roller handy to my "portable beach," as well as little labeled craft bead storage containers to hold my supplements and vitamins in, along with all the other amenities such as cell phone, pens, paper, hand lotion, glasses, etc. Therefore, when a commercial comes on I can immediately start exercising on the exercise ball or foam roller, and I can sit in ways that stretch my legs while watching TV. Since it's not extremely comfy to sit on the floor, I figured I wouldn't be doing it that much and would probably start working on my To Do list instead. It's just a radical little way I came up with to take myself out of my comfort zone and make it difficult for myself to be lazy. In a few months, after reaping some benefit from this, I may go back to my recliner for a few months, and then change back a few times a year. I feel like I'm on Spring Break all day! Now if someone comes to visit they'll see hubbie's recliner on the left and my beach towel and exercise ball on the right and probably think I've gone bonkers! I bet now that I've told you, this will become a new fad everyone tries!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-10, 08:08
Patience Personified

I can just picture your mat there by your DH's recliner. I've been thinking about yoga for awhile and found some great videos on the net. I've just been doing them in front of my pc so far. No classes offered locally, but I hear they have some in Salado 20 miles away. But I doubt I'd drive to another city to do these classes, so I'll just go get myself a mat ASAP and work in front of my 25" pc monitor to start out. My doctor's nurse practitioner highly recommended yoga for the stress issues I'm having. And Dr. Herbert Benson's "Relaxation Response" mentioned in his book by the same name has been incorporated into my life now, and it really helps me with the stress: http://www.relaxationresponse.org/steps/

And you are probably right. Getting a specialized BHRT doc in tow would be a good move. Nearest one is likely in Austin, but I'll probably look into further hormone testing. Been on 50mg progesterone cream 1xdaily for 2 weeks and already feel "calmer" throughout the day. My constant low body temps (always 94-97) are improving already. In just 2 weeks they are staying around 97-98, with only 1 reading of 95.0, so I see that, too as an improvement. I lost 1-2 lbs. during that time, after an 8 month stall. So I do think upping the progesterone is showing tangible changes.

Thanks so much for your input and suggestions. I really appreciate it. Oh, and I will turn 62 Dec. 31st.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-10, 19:44

BF:
Progress:

Dear Buttoni:

You certainly could pass for younger than 62, so it bodes well for your journey through natural living.

As far as my yoga mat, I don't do yoga myself, but I just utilize this yoga mat. But I do do stretches with my legs straight sitting in a "V," and with my knees bent Indian style, always keeping my lower and upper back as straight as possible. I just bought a jute braided rug sitting atop the yoga mat now, so it's even more padded and looks nicer in the livingroom. A FAVORITE toy for working out on the floor is my foam roller (from my physical therapist's office). But you can buy them online just about anywhere. Mine is about 8 inches in diamater and about 4 to 5 feet long. Laying on it lengthwise under the spine and doing knee drops/raises (alternating knees one at a time) for about 4 minutes will really help the back. That move is for the abs, and will help stabilize the low back so that low back pain will be reduced.

Then I also turn it perpendicular to my spine and lay over it with it behind my waist to start, then roll down the foam roller until I get to my neck.

I suppose since you're in Temple, TX you might benefit from mail-order hormone testing/hormones. Some more prominent naturopathic offices in the country have a service they provide of helping patients out of the area to get hormone testing and hormones via mail or UPS or FedEx. You might check with Theresa Ramsey, NMD of Scottsdale, AZ to see if her office can do so; or you might ask her if she can recommend anyone in the Temple, TX area who you could either go see or receive hormone testing/hormones via mail from them.

With your rather low body temps, I bet you could benefit from some natural OTC/online thyroid booster to normalize your TSH to something closer to 0.5. Your TSH is probably something like 6 right now, which isn't really optimal. The typical ranges used by doctors, although recently updated, are STILL too high to be in the patient's best interests. I get mine from www.greenwillowtree.com; it's called Thyodine (tablets). When someone is in need of a thyroid product, they sometimes get a sense of euphoria in the beginning, a sort of child-like feeling that one had when the world was fresh and new and the sky was the limit. This is how people who have normal thyroids feel all the time, but they are used to it so they don't refer to it as euphoric. However, ppl who have a slow thyroid feel foggy all the time, and since the onset can also be slow, ppl may not realize they have a slow thyroid. Then, when they go to their doctor, their doctor tests their TSH and uses invalid ranges and tells them they don't need thyroid supplementation (when they absolutely do). So the patient will spend lots of time, effort and money trying to find the solution in other areas for the way she feels that may or may not pay off, when a lot of the symptoms could be resolved by actually targeting the truly existing problem because indeed some of those symptoms are just caused by that truly existing problem.

Something I don't think I mentioned in my original message to everyone was that the single simple change of taking an anti-candida OTC natural herbal remedies and avoiding sweets/refined carbs/sodas/starches at the same time can drastically reduce belly fat and help with weight loss efforts already in play to be more effective, causing a sudden loss of weight when such an anti-candida OTC natural herbal remedy is begun. This is without adding any new weight loss efforts to the ones you were already doing. The more consistently sweets and starches are avoided while taking the herbs, the better the results. Wonderfully, the anti-candida herbs help to reduce cravings by virtue of the change in the toxic blood sugar activities that had been going on prior to starting the herbs. The lack of cravings gives one much more control over food choices and one can go hours with eating out of forgetfulness. Then when you do decide to eat, there isn't that "urgency" that causes bad decisions. Also, you seem to be satisfied easier with whatever you choose to eat, so even if you eat something vorboten, you won't want much of it quantity-wise anyway. Anti-candida treatment almost sounds like a cure-all and I suspect it hasn't been marketed much or with enough importance or emphasis on its effectiveness by the diet industry for obvious reasons. The one drawback it has is that it requires an initial period of reduction in one's habitual level of sugar/starch intake, which depending on one's current levels, may cause a sense of deprivation. However, starting the herbs a few days prior to even starting to reduce one's sugar/starch intake, seems to help recude this sense of deprivation markedly, so that it is almost undetectible. As you can see, the anti-candida approach is not emphasized enough in diet/medical culture for obvious monetary reasons.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-10, 21:28
Patience Personified

Actually, I HAVE been on an anti-Candida protocol over the last few couple months. Eliminated all the requisite foods that feed yeast, did the bentonite clay detox for 2 weeks, then began taking on rotational basis, several different anti-fungals, including pao d'arco (which I discovered I'm quite allergic to), apple cider vinegar, grapefruit see, garlic, pantethine, coconut oil and oil of oregano capsules, and currently aloe vera. And of course, am now taking probiotics and trace minerals calc/mag/zinc. Still have what I think are mild die-off symptoms, but nothing unbearable like some people I know doing the Candida protocol. No feelings of deprivation. Just the occasional skin itching and red, flush cheeks when I start a different anti-fungal. Had a pretty violent reaction for 2 days (diarrhea) to oil of oregano and suspended it after two days. Will try that one again though, as that may have been die-off, rather than a sensitivity to the oregano oil itself.