Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Reply  Back to story:  A Decade on Low Carb…How I finally reached goal

View Article Article tools
  #1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-05-21, 11:07

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Even though I re-sized a new current photo multiple times, both in pixels and KB, the website is not taking it as an after photo....trying this:

Sept 2021 photo at 153 pounds, about 17 pounds less than the existing "after" photo. Made it my Profile Photo too.

EDIT: It appears the "Gallery" on this older platform does not take new photos, so I am using an outside image service to add photos to posts. See Kristine's answer here: https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthr...011#post9416011
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1446 12.50.09 PM.jpg (27.7 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Feb-03-22 at 05:56.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-05-21, 15:53

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Looking great, Janet! And feeling great, too, for sure. Thanks for sharing your story updated.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-05-21, 16:54

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I am very happy for you Janet and glad to have a fellow traveler on the nutrient density path.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-06-21, 10:27

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Congrats, Janet, on your continued progress to good health. It's fascinating to engage with the forum members here, as this forum continues to be the best classroom I've found for learning and exchanging ideas. As the concepts of low carb and keto continue to be fine tuned with improvements, we have a place where we can stay abreast of good lifestyle practices and share in each others' experiences. The value is immense.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-21, 15:40

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Congratulations Janet on not just having achieved your goal, but ultimately having surpassed it!

Few things in life are more satisfying than that feeling of finding and settling into that groove of what actually works for you. I'm happy that you have found yours.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-11-21, 04:02

Hi Brendan! Thanks for the comment. Finally finding what works for me…I should have listened to my mother, more vegetables
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-21, 03:54

Plan: My own
Stats: 240/199.2/165 Male 72 inches
BF:34.0/21/9
Progress: 54%

Thanks so much for sharing.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-19-21, 10:41

Thank you for all the kind comments. Someone on Facebook asked about my body fat percentages and the Renpho bioimpedence scales recommended in DDF. I didn't buy one until 3.5 months into the DDF program ($18 on Amazon!) but here is a side-by-side from Nov 2020 vs. now. There was a nip of fall in the air Friday, so put on this long-sleeved workout shirt for the first time in about five months…stats are on the photo. "Only" 20 pounds in 10 months may seem slow, but at 70 and already a 22 BMI, its fine with me, especially since I eat a wide variety of satiating, enjoyable and nutritious food.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DDFbodyfat copy.001.jpeg (84.6 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Oct-16-21 at 08:11.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-19-21, 09:40

Updating my weight loss graph, from one year to the 15 month results.

I have now lost 38 pounds with Data Driven Fasting and Dr Naiman's The P:E Diet. That is also 75 pounds since I started a low carb diet eleven years ago. Taking "diet breaks" between challenges is an important part of how DDF works, and this graph is a good visual of the process. That "ideal weight" goal for a 5'9" woman is a bit of a stretch at age 70, but my body fat percentage could still be reduced. Starting a new challenge tomorrow to help get through the holidays.

#10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-26-21, 05:24

Happy Holidays!

#11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-30-21, 09:24

Plan: Very low carb
Stats: 218/205.4/158 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 21%

You look absolutely fantastic!! Thank you so much for all you do here on the regular to help and share information, and thank you for sharing your inspiring success story!!!

I have looked at the P:E info (suggested meal charts, etc.) I'm curious about your application, since you are also combining the nutrient density information. What does a typical eating day look like for you? 145g protein sounds like a lot (I am the same height as you, so same BMI chart targets, etc.). I'm also curious about some of your favorite high nutrient density foods other than lean meat. Thanks for anything you care to share specifically about your meals!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Dec-30-21, 10:25

I'd love to help you and share the changes I made. I already have a 3 page document (in smallish font!) in narrative form...must get that shaped into something easier than War & Peace. I will send it to you if you PM me with your email.

For Marty Kendall's more Nutrient Dense meals, I have a running joke with another moderator...his answer is always mackerel. One major change for me is I'm eating more fish and seafood, that is naturally leaner and has more nutrients like Omega 3 fats, selenium, magnesium, and more! not common in meats. I buy frozen fish fillets from Costco, bake the whole box at once and add to salads or veggies through the week, also canned wild-caught salmon, tuna, and gingerly adding in mackerel, sardines, etc. Nothing wrong with red meat but seafood is more nutrient dense, resulting in more satiety per calorie.

In a recent interview, Ted Naiman said for women having a hard time eating more protein…his P:E "cheat code" is: egg whites, protein powder, and low fat dairy, e.g. yogurt, cottage cheese.

The Protein section from my document:

"Protein: Lead with protein each meal, especially the first meal of the day. Increase gradually the Protein Percentage of your diet. All poultry, fish and shellfish, including canned wild salmon and small fish, are a great foundation for highly nutrient dense meals. Eggs are too, but limit whole eggs in an omelet to two, use egg whites for the rest. Whole hard boiled eggs can be a good snack. Use lean beef, ground beef 90% or leaner, lean sirloin, pork tenderloin. Look up macros for any protein, you may be surprised that 85% Lean ground beef is 54% fat! Avoid fatty roasts and steaks, instead, start with lean proteins and add healthy fats to them as needed. You can easily add fat to protein but it’s hard to take away. No bacon, sausage, pepperoni, hot dogs, nor any processed meats. Whey Protein is an easy low fat, high protein supplement to add to low fat dairy. Real food is preferred, but whey mixed with low fat/0% Fage yogurt or cottage cheese high in protein and calcium was satiating to me. As a 70 year old woman, my protein goal of 145 g based on my ideal weight, from only meat, chicken, fish and vegetables was difficult for me to reach without those dairy sources. Make the first meal in the day high in protein, with high satiety per calorie. Example of an easy recipe is 2 eggs, with lots of flavorful vegetables and a half cup egg whites (liquid from carton fine) or more, and leftover meat or fish. High protein, high nutrient density, high satiety per calorie. This protein forward first meal is so satiating, most days I only have two meals, around noon & 6pm, no snacks. My time restricted eating was determined according to my own hunger signals, based on my own blood sugar levels, not by a clock based on an arbitrary fasting schedule." That is..Data Driven Fasting

Check out some of the video and podcast interviews with Ted Naiman and Marty Kendall in those threads linked in the story. The podcasts with Bett Lucas are clear, basic, full of good tips for beginners. Marty and Ted are both interesting and fun speakers…one of my favorite interviews is the two together: https://youtu.be/ilduzDTFUlQ

Added to all this protein (and it is a lot!) are way more fiberous vegetables than I ate on the various low-carb plans I've followed the past decade. My favorite quick first meal was a pan of Costco Stir-Fry frozen vegetables ( the mix has orange and yellow carrots ) with whatever leftover meat, canned salmon or fish on hand. These meals are so satiating I did not miss cheese, fats, cream, etc. Forget the gooey ground beef casseroles with cream cheese and shredded cheddar, the Fathead pizza dough, and Chaffles. Check Marty's Instagram page for recipe ideas,https://www.instagram.com/martykendall76/, his recipe's are also on Pinterest, or make any of the Simple Protein plus Veggies Meals, samples on Dr. Naiman's weight loss version: https://energytoxicity.com/Tips.html
The P:E Diet book has many more meals, with again, very simple instructions, can't really call Ted's "recipes".

In the link about my first year with DDF, my P:E food choices were very simple. If it had a P:E ratio higher than 1, it was good to go. When I made 2 eggs for the nutrients in the yolk, the added egg whites improved both protein % and satiety. Most anything below 1 on this chart. https://proteinpercent.com/ was no longer on my menu. No bacon, cream cheese, cream, Swiss cheese, salami, pepperoni, etc. "Keto" popularity is way down because many who try it stall out above their goal, and way too many regain (I did). A plate of bacon, gooey casseroles, limited fiber and nutrients from low calorie vegetables, high fat high calorie foods do not provide enough satiety per calorie..

Dr Naiman: "Basically everyone that a primary care doctor meets in the real world would benefit immensely from attempting to double their protein and fiber grams while halving fat and non-fiber carb grams daily."

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Jan-02-24 at 06:45.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jan-01-22, 17:09

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

Congratulations! Well done and thank you for sharing!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-22, 11:50

Plan: Atkins, Dr. Westman
Stats: 267/167/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 82%

Wow....thanks for sharing. I have so much more to learn on this journey. You are inspiring!
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-22, 12:49

Hi Bangle, thanks for your kind words. It only took me ten years to realize that strict LC was not working for me anymore. I was trying "to keto harder", to 20g TC or ZeroCarb, until that lever broke (see https://forum.lowcarber.org/showpos...7&postcount=221 ). My story and recent comment has more info on the moderate LC changes I made. You can also keep it simple and eat following The P:E Diet graphic; that food list pulls all the levers. It increases protein and high fiber vegetables and reduces non-fiber carbs and fats. Happy to answer any questions.

Both Dr Naiman's and Marty Kendall's programs boil down to Satiety per Calorie. "Eating Fat to Satiety" does not work if too many calories come along for the ride. In fact, Satiety per Calorie will be Ted's next book. https://forum.lowcarber.org/showpos...7&postcount=218

Snack on Sugar-snap peas and baby carrots or pork rinds? About 100 calories of the veggies will fill me up. 500 calories of pork rinds provide no satiety because they are so dehydrated.

Need a protein snack? Compare 0% yogurt with some protein powder vs pepperoni chips dipped in ranch dressing. A mere 2oz pepperoni and 1T dressing is 450 calories, only 10g protein. Or this crazy nutrient dense Protein Flan vs SFJello? Jello has no calories but negative satiety too. https://optimisingnutrition.com/ket...lan/#more-16451

Not that I count calories, but I am now eating fewer calories because I increased the protein percentage, fiber grams, and micronutrient rich foods, while lowering fats. What you eat determines how much you eat.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Feb-04-22 at 03:41.
  #16   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-22, 06:24

Update at 18 months using Dr Ted Naiman’s The P:E diet and Marty Kendall's Data Driven Fasting and Optimising Nutrition. Also 11 1/2 years on a low/now more moderate carb diet.

Starting in early November when there was a pause in programs, Marty Kendall added a Thanksgiving "hack" to the last DDF program. Eat what we wanted; testing blood glucose before and after meals, (all in the name of science!) After being very LC, aka "keto", for so many years, I had already regained considerable metabolic flexibility over these 18 months. I tested small servings of potato, black beans, bread, desserts, wine, with modest increases in post meal glucose. In the past two months, I also continued to eat more protein, more vegetables, less fat than on very low carb/keto, and I usually ate within a 6-8 hour window.

There is some red on the weight loss chart, gaining and losing 5 lbs with the two months of celebration meals. But by Optimising Nutrition and Satiety prioritizing protein, I'm back at my lowest weight, 149 lbs., in 40 years. I also took a break from strength exercises with the increased virus cases, but am back at it - lifting the same weight. With optimal nutrition, I can maintain a 22 BMI for the rest of my life.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Feb-27-22 at 18:25.
Sponsored Links

Article tools