Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 09:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Just to let you know that i don't often but I do enjoy all your advice.
I not only stall with nut but I don't seem to have control when i start and even the smallest amount of nuts can be disasterous for me.
The highest and the ones i have eliminated from my diet is cashews but the lowest and the one that suprised me was brasil nuts. If you get with the shell on your less apt to eat lots as they are a pain to shell.
As for the processed meats they are the exception rather that the rule. If i eat processed meat it is more apt to be something that is process whole ie.. capicoli , none sweeten ham
I also make my self sausage that i eat both fresh or cured
Italian Sausage
25 lb coursely ground pork
1 cup salt
1/2 cup hot ground chili peppers
1/8 cup cayenne
1 cup paprika
1 cup red dry wine
Mix for at least 30 minutes by hand.Then fill sausage casing that have rinsed with water first then wine.
tie into 8 to 10 inch link.
Hang to cure in a 40 45 degree basement or cook fresh
Great on the barbeque
If you don't have a sausage stuffer you can make into patties for sausage burgers.

Last edited by cathyc : Sun, Feb-10-02 at 22:55.
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 11:58

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default THE list again!

Just bumping the list up again for the convenience of folks just coming into this thread:

<b>Processed Meats
Caffeine
Nicotine
Bacon
Cheese
Alcohol - Beer
Nuts & Nut Butters
Artificial Sweeteners & anything containing AS's such as diet jello and diet soda pop
Protein bars
Low carb food products that imitate high carb food
Eating a wide combination of food in one day
Too many pork rinds </b>

I think it's agreed by many here that eating TOO MUCH of any food including a low carb approved food can cause a stall.

I have discovered that eliminating all SALTY foods seems to have stopped the wild bounces the scale took for me in the beginning. My weight would fluctuate 3-6 pounds in a single day. Now it's about a 2 pound swing and it's not unusual for me to hold at a weight for 5 days in a row. YAY...I'm learning!

Marlaine
  #108   ^
Old Sat, Jul-13-02, 17:50

BF:

notaquiter......

This is the list I was talking about.

Marlaine
  #109   ^
Old Sat, Jul-13-02, 21:04
Registered Member

Stats: 190/183/135
BF:n/a
Progress: 13%
Cool

Thanks Marlaine and every one else. I see I do need to change a few things. Like the bacon, diet sodas, diet jello and cheese which I seem to eat a lot of. Thanks again I'll be posting this list on my fridge. Just a reminder on what food I should watch for. Thanks again
  #110   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-02, 16:08

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 191/152/155
BF:
Progress: 108%
Wink Here is my 2 cents!

Nuts, Cheese, Beer

I have eaten more cheese than recommended and have used cheese to alleviate hunger. I began to realize that cheese was controlling my weight loss. Minimize it and I drop lbs. Nuts definitely will stall you. I can't stop eating them so I have to minimize the amount I buy. I dropped beer. Have been drinking red dry wine and not too much problem with one glass a day.
  #111   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-02, 16:30

BF:

Gary......

Nuts, Cheese, Beer AND Wine (alcohol) are all on the list. Of course....YMMV......but for folks like me that need to go for all of the advantages possible to effect a weight loss, pretty much everything on the list is off of my menu!

The problem with alcoholic beverages is that your body will choose to burn them first.....so whether it's a small virtually unnoticeable delay......or a one week stall.......alcohol will slow most of us down.

Marlaine
  #112   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-02, 20:37

Stats: 191/152/155
BF:
Progress: 108%
Talking Red Wine

I agree about red wine. I know the mechanism and all. I have had weekends drinking more wine where I come back to work on Monday and weigh the same as the last Friday. Then as the week progressed I would start losing again. Also I wish everybody could lose weight readily. I have 1 lb to go to reach my target and after that I want to post a success story and write as much detail I can on what I ate for meals and other factors like excersise. I know I can say that I eat the same portions that I ate before the diet, but I dropped the carbs down to the Atkins induction except eating more cheese. I do not eat more meat to compensate for the missing carbs. So in all I did restrict my calories and stay in induction too. So whatever wine I drank in my case acted like a slight brake.

Good luck!
  #113   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 07:56

Stats: 230/185/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Unhappy

Seems like everything I eat is on that list, processed meats, yes,
cheese, yes, caffeine, yes, diet jello yes, ohdear, I really have to work on this, I have cut out the nuts and the bacon, and the lo carb bars, but the wine, I do have once in a great while, fortunately only one glass, and maybe once per week, or less. As I said, there's work to be done. chris
  #114   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-02, 08:53
Pending Member

Stats: 215/145/120
BF:
Progress: 74%

Chris,
I also have the same trouble. I have found out that nuts, low carb bars, pork rinds, sugar free jello and even coffee make me stall. I have trouble keeping my coffee down to one cup a day and even found out that cream can cause me to stall. I am now going back to induction and staying away from my trigger foods to see if that well help. With the heat and humidy this summer I have found that even a little bit of salt have made me gain or stall. We can do this together and we both well see this stall go away. May the whoosh fairy be kind to both of us soon.
Donna
  #115   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-02, 09:57

Stats: 185/159/135
BF:
Progress: 52%
Cool stalls

Summer in Tucson always makes me want more salt, especially salty and crunchy foods, so I have to be careful of pork rinds and macadamia nuts, for these reasons:

1) Like potato chips, I can't eat just a little bit and stop. And once I start, I want to eat them every day until the package is empty.

2) Eating them curbs my hunger so much in the hot weather I don't feel much like eating real food, and so I don't get a balanced diet.

3) The extra salt probably causes fluid retention. My weight stalls or goes up.

I'm a turtle. In general, my weight loss on Atkins has been slow and steady at about 2 lbs/month -- even on induction. I don't think cheese or cream or coffee have caused me to stall. On OWL I've even added 1 cup/day of caffeinated coffee, which I have in the morning. I have a second cup of decaf at night after dinner. Coffee with heavy cream tastes like dessert to me now!

I discovered early on that bacon was a definite stall, so stopped it altogether. But I think it probably had sugar in it. Even the slightest bit of hidden sugar will cause me to stall, so I have to be careful. I bought some biotin lately and discovered after I got home I'd accidentally picked up sublingual pills instead of regular pills. I stalled -- read the label and found they contained .5g of sugar! So I'm giving them to a friend who's not on LC.

Coquina
  #116   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-05, 23:42

BF:

Here's the list again for anyone who hasn't seen it so that they don't have to search through the thread. I think it still stands.

Processed Meats
Caffeine
Nicotine
Bacon
Cheese
Alcohol - Beer
Nuts & Nut Butters
Artificial Sweeteners & anything containing AS's such as diet jello and diet soda pop
Protein bars
Too many pork rinds
  #117   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-05, 00:41

Stats: 198/175/158 Female 5'10"
BF:I am 5'10" tall
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlaine
Here is the list so far. Please post any others that are not listed here now!

<b>Processed meats
Caffeine
Nicotine
Bacon
Cheese
Alcohol - Beer
Nuts & Nut Butters
Artificial Sweeteners
Protein bars
Too many pork rinds </b>

Hi, what do you mean by a wide combination of food in one day? thanks, Gina
  #118   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-05, 00:42

Smile

Hi,

so is this why people do the meat and egg fast, so they wont stall?
  #119   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-05, 00:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBecca
Erk, I just don't like those pork rinds. I bought some a couple of weeks ago and thought I'd give them a shot - but they were YUCKY - just not to my taste I guess!

the barbeque ones are a little better......
  #120   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-05, 07:46

Stats: 200/150/120 Female 63.5
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaLeanne
the barbeque ones are a little better......

I don't like pork rinds much plain, either, plus I'm to the point of needing to watch the calories. However, I used them in a meatloaf recipe from Dana Carpender's crock pot book, and it was great.