Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Quick Meals & Snacks
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-08, 12:14

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

That could be due to your nice high coconut fat level. I still need to give this a try. I just found another source for no-sugar-added coconut cream (high coconut fat content coconut milk). Pacific Asian Market....89¢/can
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-08, 17:31
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yeah, the stuff at asian markets is super cheap and usually extremely thick.

I have a feeling the coconut yogurt doesn't actually get thickened by the fermenting process, it's probably just the fat going solid in the fridge.

It tastes pretty good though.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-08, 01:03

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Well, taste is the important part.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-08, 18:40
Registered Member

Plan: all meat low starchy veg
Stats: 130/125/120 Male 178 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

just add probiotic powder into the coconut milk
( I read about that somewhere)
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-08, 08:41
Experimenter

BF:

I have used yogurt start in coconut milk but judging from the taste, it probably didn't accomplish all that much. I might try both the pineapple vinegar and the yogurt starter.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-08, 09:18
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

I'd be surprised if bacteria that dine on lactose found anything to eat in coconut milk.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-08, 10:33

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
I'd be surprised if bacteria that dine on lactose found anything to eat in coconut milk.

Well, that was sort of my idea - I figured coconut and pineapple grow in the same climates, so maybe the same bacteria will like them. But it's not quite as simple as you put it - many of the bacteria involved are "lactobacillus" meaning they produce lactic acid. But it doesn't necessarily mean that lactose is the only sugar they can eat.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-08, 11:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
Well, that was sort of my idea - I figured coconut and pineapple grow in the same climates, so maybe the same bacteria will like them. But it's not quite as simple as you put it - many of the bacteria involved are "lactobacillus" meaning they produce lactic acid. But it doesn't necessarily mean that lactose is the only sugar they can eat.

True enough. Have to admit I've assumed that the lactic acid is a metabolic byproduct specifically out of the breakdown of lactose...sounds like a research project to find out whether the lactobacillus was named for its digestion (primarily?) of lactose AND if the lactic acid is specific to lactose breakdown (if so, can they digest other sugars AND what acid is produced out of, say, fructose breakdown). Yikes, another chicken and egg question.

Speaking of which, what is the primary acid (not acetic acid as is readily available in plain old white vinegar?) in the pineapple vinegar and is the primary fermenting bacillus identified? i.e., what's the mother?

Sigh.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-08, 11:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl
True enough. Have to admit I've assumed that the lactic acid is a metabolic byproduct specifically out of the breakdown of lactose...sounds like a research project to find out whether the lactobacillus was named for its digestion (primarily?) of lactose AND if the lactic acid is specific to lactose breakdown (if so, can they digest other sugars AND what acid is produced out of, say, fructose breakdown). Yikes, another chicken and egg question.

Sauerkraut and brine pickles are both very high in lactic acid. It is actually the primary acid in most fermented vegetables. Have you ever noticed that many olive ingrendients lists include "lactic acid starter culture?" That's because olive curing involves lots of lactic acid too.

I can't tell you for sure what these processes start with - sauerkraut for example has a complex sequence of organisms that starts with e. coli and proceeds to lactobacillus and other stuff. I wonder if a lot of lactobacillus acts on bigger starches as opposed little sugars like fructose.

Most fruit is very prone to yeast fermentation, producing alcohol, but under the right circumstances it can produce lactic acid too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl
Speaking of which, what is the primary acid (not acetic acid as is readily available in plain old white vinegar?) in the pineapple vinegar and is the primary fermenting bacillus identified? i.e., what's the mother?

Sigh.

To me the pineapple vinegar tastes like it has both acetic and lactic acid, but much more lactic acid than typical vinegar has.

A vinegar mother is a very special thing; not all fermented things have one. From recent articles I think it's actually a "biofilm" - a colony of organisms that hold each other together with sticky chemicals they produce. Vinegar mother, kombucha mother, and kefir grains are all symbiotic colonies of bacteria and yeast - SCOBYs for short.

If you're really curious, find someone in your area who's studying microbiology. Making sauerkraut is actually a common class project in microbiology, and they identify the organisms involved.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-08, 13:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
Sauerkraut and brine pickles are both very high in lactic acid. It is actually the primary acid in most fermented vegetables. Have you ever noticed that many olive ingrendients lists include "lactic acid starter culture?" That's because olive curing involves lots of lactic acid too.

I should have a look at more of the "natural" products on my next shopping trip (hunting for smoked tofu! yum!).

Quote:
Most fruit is very prone to yeast fermentation, producing alcohol, but under the right circumstances it can produce lactic acid too....

....I can't tell you for sure what these processes start with - sauerkraut for example has a complex sequence of organisms that starts with e. coli and proceeds to lactobacillus and other stuff. I wonder if a lot of lactobacillus acts on bigger starches as opposed little sugars like fructose.

Ay, THERE'S the rub. Rather sounds as if one series or organisms dominates, cleans up and clears the way for the next....hmmm. If it really does start with e. coli and ends with lactobacillus et al, there's another indirect vote of support for probiotics in the GI tract!

Quote:
A vinegar mother is a very special thing; not all fermented things have one. From recent articles I think it's actually a "biofilm" - a colony of organisms that hold each other together with sticky chemicals they produce. Vinegar mother, kombucha mother, and kefir grains are all symbiotic colonies of bacteria and yeast - SCOBYs for short.

So now I wonder what is the arbiter, the difference between biofilm colony ferments and "non-biofilm" (for lack of a better word yet) ferments, such as the pineapple "vinegar" ferment.

Quote:
To me the pineapple vinegar tastes like it has both acetic and lactic acid, but much more lactic acid than typical vinegar has.

Quote:
If you're really curious, find someone in your area who's studying microbiology. Making sauerkraut is actually a common class project in microbiology, and they identify the organisms involved.

Well, yup. though the sauerkraut is quite well known already, and accessible, it's that fascinating and somewhat different pineapple ferment that interests me right now, and just what probiotics are active therein, and where are they coming from (from the "air" like the classical sourdough yeasts?), and why pineapple (what's the special thing in pineapple, the fruit sugars, the fruit acids?).

Thanks for engaging in this interesting discussion!

#26   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-08, 14:40
Experimenter

BF:

I don't think lactic acid requires lactose to be formed since the human body produces lactic acid. It's just a normal process for certain cells/bacteria etc.
Quote:
Although it can be fermented from lactose (milk sugar), most commercially used lactic acid is derived by using bacteria such as Bacillus acidilacti, Lactobacillus delbueckii or Lactobacillus bulgaricus to ferment carbohydrates from nondairy sources such as cornstarch, potatoes and molasses. Thus, although it is commonly known as "milk acid", vegan products can contain lactic acid as an ingredient.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactic_acid
Whatever is at work in the pineapple vinegar is probably on the skin of it. I'd guess it eats the fructose and/or glucose in the pineapple.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-08, 15:39

I've posted some recipes that make use of the coconut milk yogurt!

Tandoori Chicken

Raita
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-08, 19:03
Experimenter

BF:

I Love Tandori So Much I Have To Use Capslock!