Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 11:47

Plan: good fat low carb
Stats: 255/170/170 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

i havent been feeling good.. also im feeling kind of bummed lately (see my journal).. i think its hormones (im up 2 pounds today).. I cant seem to find an answer on the boards to when exactly i should expect to start losing again.. I also dont know if I should reduce my calories or not. I want to lose weight but I want to spare my muscle..

I didnt stick to my original workout routine but still was able to meet most of my goals this week so far..
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 23:09

BF:

ive been physically tired.. of course some of that may be emotional also, but my work schedule was a bit mixed up this week.. I did get a bit of exercise walking across the parking lot all day today

anyhow i missed some of my goals, but I think its better when you are physically fatigued to rest than to push yourself too hard especially when youre first starting out.. most magazines say that new exerciers get all zealous and then bonk out.. so a few rest days is OK for me so that I dont stop altogether..

im not expert though..
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 23:14

BF:

schedule for week ending 5-7-04

friday ~ weights
saturday ~ cardio and stretch
sunday ~ cardio and weights
monday ~ off
*tuesday ~ longer cardio and weights
*wednesday ~ longer cardio and stretch
thursday ~ ?

GOALS FOR THIS WEEK:

I will schedule a fitness routine (expecting tom this week so i may take it easy or switch it up)

I will aim for 200 minutes of CARDIO this week.

weights need to be for 25 minutes 3x a week; 8-12 reps, 2-3 sets
  #19   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 22:23

BF:

I just couldnt seem to stick to schedule this week.. I didnt do ANYTHING until tuesday.. then we walked 2.5 miles (60 min).. although i worked hard at my job on monday (alot of moving around)
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Aug-27-05, 19:08

BF:

Restart!!!!
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Aug-27-05, 19:19

BF:

note::

I have begun a walking regimen. my plan is to get it up to jogging and then running (if my ankles will hold out)

week of 8/12/05 walked 2.5 miles 6 out of 7 days (went from 1:15 to :50)

week of 8/19/05 walked 3.5 miles 5 out of 7 (1:15)

week of 8/26/05 have not started yet

my cycle got messed up where I lost 12 pounds in 13 days.. so I eased up on carb restrictions this week (although have not been over 10 carbs except one day). I have been feeling soreness and fatigue and so I did no walking since 8/23/05. with the slight increase in carbs it seems to have regulated itself a bit.. I hope. I am feeling less fatigued however still have some stiffness and sore spots in my muscles.

will start 3.5 again on sunday (weather permitting) and hopefully by the end of the week I will incorporate jogging in small intervals throughout my walk. I also plan on purchasing a jumping rope this week.

Been having some hip problems it is either age , genetics (family history of hip trouble) or not walking properly. I have been trying to think of my hips as an extension of my leg rather than a separate entity, this seems to help. it doesnt seem to be joint pain, however, it seems to be on the outside of my hips..

Also got my new trainers this week.. they are so pretty that I just have to get out and use them

very proud of myself.. last year I would be so out of breath going up the hill from my house that I could cry. this year im doing 3.5 miles over hills etc and doing just great.. no shortness of breath (although an increase in heart rate at times) and no 'dragging'. also feeling pretty fit
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Aug-27-05, 19:21

BF:
Post article (read me!) : aerobic exercise and fat/muscle burn

article (read me!) : aerobic exercise and fat/muscle burn

Quote:
I pulled this from Tom Venuto's http://www.fitren.com/ site.

A common concern about doing cardio in the fasted state, especially if it’s done with high intensity, is the possibility of losing muscle. After an overnight fast, glycogen, blood glucose and insulin are all low. As we’ve already concluded, this is an optimum environment for burning fat. Unfortunately, it may also be an optimum environment for burning muscle because carbohydrate fuel sources are low and levels of the catabolic stress hormone cortisol are high. It sounds like morning cardio might be a double-edged sword, but there are ways to avert muscle loss.

All aerobic exercise will have some effect on building muscle, but as long as you don’t overdo it, you shouldn’t worry about losing muscle. It's a fact that muscle proteins are broken down and used for energy during aerobic exercise. But you are constantly breaking down and re-building muscle tissue anyway. This process is called "protein turnover" and it’s a daily fact of life. Your goal is to tip the scales slightly in favor of increasing the anabolic side and reducing the catabolic side just enough so you stay anabolic and you gain or at least maintain muscle.

How do you build up more muscle than you break down? First, avoid excessive cardio. Aceto suggests limiting your cardio on an empty stomach to 30 minutes, and then it would be "highly unlikely that amino acids will be burned as fuel." He also mentions that "a strong cup of coffee should facilitate a shifting to burn more fat and less glycogen. If you can spare glycogen, you’ll ultimately spare protein too."

Second, give your body the proper nutritional support. Losing muscle probably has more to do with inadequate nutrition than with excessive aerobics. Provide yourself with the proper nutritional support for the rest of the day, including adequate meal frequency, protein, carbohydrates and total calories, and it’s not as likely that there will be a net loss of muscle tissue over each 24-hour period.

Third, keep training with heavy weights, even during a fat loss phase. Using light weights and higher reps thinking that it will help you get more "cut" is a mistake: What put the muscle on in the first place is likely to help you keep it there.

I also don't agree that you can't build muscle or do serious exercising on LC, people do it all the time. I think as long as you get enough calories to supply you with energy, and get protien in you will be fine. I did not mean to imply that breaking down muscle protien for energy was a bad thing, it is a natural process. You even do that why you are sleeping, your body is constantly rebuilding muscles.

google newsgroups

newsgroup where Lyle responds (lsome anguage)