Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Soups Sauces & Appetizers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 23:09

Plan: Maintenance since 6/08
Stats: 250/189/195 Male 70 inches
BF:Not so much.
Progress: 111%
Default Leek and Sausage Soup

This is a great soup I have adapted from my favorite high carb recipe, to low carb goodness.
The original recipe had about four pounds of potato's but I replaced that with another pound of sausage, and added the spinach.
It probably isn't induction friendly, but those who have moved onto OWL will find it a big hit with a salad for dinner. Even by itself it is very hearty and very rarely will anyone ask for a second bowl, it is so filling.

It may look a bit complicated, but it is very simple and easy, as well as rich and delicious.

1 lb of mild Italian sausage, bulk.
1 lb of hot Italian sausage, bulk.
1 lb of pork sausage, bulk.
1 leek, chopped (approximately 1 cup).
2 large clove of Garlic, diced.
2 Small Red potato's, (no russet potato's).*or just omit altogether.
4 cups of rough chopped Collard greens, or Swiss chard, (one bunch).
3 cups bagged and washed fresh baby spinach.
12 cups of low sodium chicken broth, (two of the big cans at the store).
2 tblsp of real butter.
6 Bay leaves.
1/4 tsp Vanilla extract.
1/4 cup White Balsamic Vinegar.
1/4 teaspoon White pepper.
1/3 cup Heavy whipping Cream.
Salt to taste, if required.

Some prep work required...

Cut off the base of the leek, (the white end where all the stalks come together), and throw it away. Chop the leek all the way from the white end to the green end. Fill a large bowl with cold water and let the chopped leek float in the bowl while you are assembling the soup. Since Leeks are famous for having sand in them stir the floating leeks with your hand once in a while to get them really clean. This is the easiest way to make sure there is no dirt in your soup.

Break off the white stems of the Chard where the leaf starts, and discard the stalks.

Peel garlic and dice it really fine, or run it through a garlic press.

Cut the potato's into very small cubes, 1/4 inch or smaller.

Some assembly required....

In a big soup pot bring 12 cups chicken broth to a low boil and add Bayleaves.
Add Sausage to a 12 inch skillet and cook over medium high heat until browned, breaking up the meat as you cook it. You may need to cook the sausage in two batches. If you have to do this take the browned sausage out of the pan with a spider or slotted spoon, (leaving the fat in the pan), and add the sausage to the chicken broth.

Put the leek into a colander and run water through it to ensure there is no sand left in it, and then let it drain.

Turn the heat down to medium and add 2 tblsp butter to the skillet.
Sauté Leek until tender then add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds, (till you can REALLY smell the garlic). Pour the leek, garlic and sausage fat into the the pot with the chicken broth.

Return the skillet to the fire and reduce heat below medium and add a half of cup of water to de-glaze the pan. Scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon until all of the brown bits are off the bottom and floating in the water. Add this to the soup pot.

Add the Vanilla extract, White Balsamic Vinegar, white pepper, and cubed red potato. Reduce heat and simmer approximately 45 minutes.

Taste the soup and adjust the seasonings till you get it to taste right. I would advise against adding any more vanilla extract though, it is meant to add a very subtle flavor. But you can add more pepper, salt or balsamic vinegar.
Add the Chard and spinach when potatoes are done and cook for 5 more minutes, don't worry, the leafy stuff will get really small and thin when it is cooked, then turn off the heat and move the pot to a cool burner.
Wait 10 minutes then add 1/3 cup of Heavy Whipping Cream. I like to add a little more cream until it is really rich, but you have to be careful not to add too much.

Fit day totals for the entire pot in grams:

Fat 495 grams
Carbs 73 grams
Fiber 18 grams
protein 312 grams

That may look scary, but the pot holds 10 servings which breaks down into:

Fat 49.5 grams
Carbs 7.3 grams
Fiber 1.8 grams
Protein 31.2 grams

It also freezes really well, so you can freeze individual servings and then just pop them in the microwave when you are hungry.

ETA: Link to actual fit day page where I totaled up the entire pot.

Last edited by pengu1 : Mon, Jan-07-08 at 23:28.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-08, 21:39

If you can't find any Leeks in the grocery store, you can substitute 3 bunches of Green Onions, (scallions). It will alter the taste a bit, but it still tastes very good.

#3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-08, 21:47

Plan: Whole Foods/Low Carb
Stats: 306/248/198 Female 5'9"
BF: Jeans:26/20/16
Progress: 54%

I've never had vanilla extract in a savory soup. I am intrigued!

It looks tasty! I bet using turnip instead of potato would be really good and low carb still.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-08, 22:38

Turnips sound like a great substitution for the potatos, I honestly never thought of them. Thank you, Culturista for that idea.

Last edited by pengu1 : Wed, Jan-16-08 at 22:43. Reason: punctuation