Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-19, 06:29

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%
Default Beware of OTC meds: what I learned

Passing this on because it's fairly shocking: when a medication moves to OTC (over the counter) they don't list possible side effects any more. Granted, there are warnings on the box, and those were serious enough that I checked online.

I'm throwing the Flonase away.

Quote:
What Are the Downsides to Your Nasal Spray?

A steroid nasal spray like Flonase can combat congestion and other allergy symptoms, but it may also lead to cataracts or changes in the sense of smell.

All I have is a stuffy nose! And the generic sudafed behind the counter at my pharmacy is fine, and I don't even use that any more.

I went to the doctor because a dry hacking cough was keeping me from sleeping, and I was so exhausted I was getting my autoimmune symptoms back. I got a miniscule amount of what I know works from the year I had FOUR sinus infections in a row, and this Flonase.

I was already alerted because it was a steroid medication. I learned I was risking a LOT more than a stuffy nose, like:

Quote:
That said, such drugs are not without drawbacks. The official prescribing information for Flonase before it went OTC included reactions such as headache, sore throat, nosebleeds and cough. Also included were: alteration or loss of sense of taste and/or smell, nasal septal perforation, glaucoma, increased intraocular pressure and cataracts, among other problems.

Would you risk permanent damage to the senses for a stuffy nose?

Now my wariness has increased, and it was already at a paranoid level.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-19, 07:33

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

The only OTC that I use is an antihistamine during the spring/summer for pollen allergies. I've not been able to find any reported major problems caused by them.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-19, 08:09

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Neti pot with saline/baking soda water is an ancient remedy. Xylitol added works well too.

There is a nasal spray, xlear, that is nothing but saline water, xylitol and grapefruit seed extract (for a preservative). You can get this at many drug stores.

For me the added xylitol makes a big difference.

Bob
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-19, 08:47

BF:

Thanks all. I'm okay. Have decongestant and got some cough syrup which I've taken before without incident. But this stuff sits in the grocery store and you KNOW no one is reading the box!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-19, 08:58

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

In response to this thread about side effects of taking OTC meds, I just HAD to post a link to this YouTube video.... Progenitorivox - The Drugs I need.

The song is by a country/bluegrass/folk band called the Austin Lounge Lizards that I've been listening to since the mid 80s. Enjoy... and share it with friends who might need to hear the message.

Last edited by bevangel : Thu, Dec-12-19 at 14:28.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-19, 10:20

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Thanks for posting. Thought flonase was non-steroidal. Despirte conversations with doctor, sheesh
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-19, 12:19

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Last year I had congestion so I went to the store and roamed up and down the isle. What I found out after buying Robitussin DM which use to work and I would cough it up was that it didn't work anymore.

Apparently they removed whatever ingredient in it that use to work because drug attics are getting high off of it. So then I tried other products and they were ALL timed release. Again, it's so druggies can't get high from it because it's timed released it' no use to them. The Walgreens brand "Mucus Releaf which is Guaifensin/expectorant was the worst. Well, on the third day it wasn't working at all. Then my lungs started feeling like they were hurting and burning from these meds, like they were on fire....So I stopped taking it.

About that time I started taking the Iodine. I was happily in shock that the iodine was helping me cough up all of the flem. It worked like magic!!
So I began reading my iodine book and apparently in France they have used Iodine for centuries to clear up lungs, even curing phenomena.
The first thing that starts happening is that it thins the mucus and you begin sneezing it out. Then you start coughing it up.

It was like Magic, I kid you not!!

Last edited by Meme#1 : Thu, Dec-12-19 at 12:29.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-19, 13:10

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I'm lucky. Since I went Keto I don't get sick.

I do irrigate with xlear, as it keeps my nasal passages clear (I broke my nose as a kid) and if you believe the blurb on it, the xylitol keep the cold germs from attaching to your mucus membranes.

I rarely need any OTC med at all. A small bottle of ibuprofen will last me years.

Like any medicine, I would suspect the smallest dose necessary of any OTC med would be the dose to shoot for.

Bob
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-19, 13:28

BF:

I've got extra challenges. Worn out before I figured out how to help myself, baffling trek to uncover my rare genetic condition, husband with his own chronic condition so I have all the errands and a full time job plus keeping our small business afloat.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-19, 13:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I've got extra challenges. Worn out before I figured out how to help myself, baffling trek to uncover my rare genetic condition, husband with his own chronic condition so I have all the errands and a full time job plus keeping our small business afloat.

Wearbear, I'm sorry you're going through this.
Take care of yourself first than the rest will be taken care of in due time.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-19, 15:08

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Wearbear, I'm sorry you're going through this.
Take care of yourself first than the rest will be taken care of in due time.

Thanks. I've taken a couple of days off to rest. And I've been taking iodine!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-19, 15:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Thanks. I've taken a couple of days off to rest. And I've been taking iodine!

For me, it's got so many benefits. My body temp went back up closer to normal, I could feel the difference in energy when I got lax in taking it for a couple of weeks. But the biggest thing I see is clearing out my lungs. It's immediate for me as soon as it absorbs, I guess. I always take it with Selenium which is said to make the Iodine work better so even though I probably get enough I still take it then.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Dec-13-19, 07:51

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
For me, it's got so many benefits. My body temp went back up closer to normal, I could feel the difference in energy when I got lax in taking it for a couple of weeks. But the biggest thing I see is clearing out my lungs. It's immediate for me as soon as it absorbs, I guess. I always take it with Selenium which is said to make the Iodine work better so even though I probably get enough I still take it then.
What type of iodine are you taking and how much at a time?
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Dec-13-19, 09:47

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Wearbear. This is the most stressful time of year and here is a little releif. Works everytime.Breath in thru nose, and say "I am...." then exhale thru mouth and say ,"peace....."

I use this ALOT.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Dec-13-19, 11:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
What type of iodine are you taking and how much at a time?

I take 2-Iodoral 12.5mg with Selenium 20mcg in the am and again in the pm.

But I did it gradually starting with one in the am with a selenium for a couple of weeks then added 1 in pm. Then a couple of weeks later I went to 2 in the am and 1 in the pm and finally 2 at am and 2 at pm.

It's also vital to prevent all types of cancer like thyroid, prostate, ovarian and breast. The selenium also helps prevent colon cancer.

You can read about it on-line and/or buy the book "The Iodine Crisis"