Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-08, 04:21

Plan: raw food / paleo
Stats: 233/172/130 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default Any hope for Fibro?

Hello,

My dear sis has highly activated fibro and has lost most of the use of her arms; she is able to leave the house only rarely; she is now on morphine every day.

I am wondering if anyone here has been able to improve or even possibly cure firbo with proper nutrition? she is 51, a lifelong smoker, drinks lots of diet pepsi, only eats carbs and a bit of dairy, and is drugged up to the eyeballs with prescription meds. I want to help her and I think she may now just be at the point of desperation where she is ready to accept.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-08, 08:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well, I had incredible results with the Paleo diet. My rhuemy tells me that the disease I have was showing up as fibro with me. I am off all drugs for what once was a lot of pretty terrible pain.

I hope your sister can pull herself together enough to fix up her diet and quit smoking. But some people really are just looking for the right pill to take to make it all magically go away and they just won't consider changing their diet or quitting an addiction.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-08, 11:54

Plan: lowcarb/high fat/Failsafe
Stats: 280/245/150 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

I'm sorry to hear about your sister, fibro is awful absolutely awful.

My sister has had some success with hers by cutting out food with loads of preservatives and avoiding cigarette smoke. She's also done the candida diet a couple of times and had some success. The "cleaner" she eats the better she feels.

I've never been diagnosed with fibro but I've found my body pain/migraines are triggered by wheat, milk, fermented food, preservatives, artificial sweeteners, aged meat, and just about the entire vegetable kingdom. As far as supplements go cod liver oil and vitamin D have also helped with pain. My neurologist wants me to start taking coQ10 regularly, they've had a lot of success with that.

I hope things get better with your sis, its tough when they won't listen.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-08, 12:38

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

10 years ago my sister was in your sister's place.

Now she golfs often, works full time, travels you name it.

She basically 'ignored' it and kept going. She eliminated all processed foods from her diet and that REALLY made the difference. With fibro you must keep going
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-08, 02:28

BF:

Thank you all; my feeling is that if she can eat well and start moving even a little, she may find her quality of life improves. I'll pass on these ideas to her.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-08, 19:20

Plan: Atkins, Zone
Stats: ---/155/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

i have fibro too but never like your sister...smoking is hard to quit..she should at least start with food so she doesnt freak out too much...baby steps...diet soda is the worst thing for any body..its aspertame...and its a known fact it can cause cancer...my sister in law had a bad accident, fell on her head 10feet high..anyhow she was on morphine for 3 weeks in the hospital...well of course she had no choice to stop smoking cause she was stuck in bed and couldnt get up...what is odd is that a month and a half later she came out of the hospital, and she couldnt stand the smell of cigs and couldnt stand diet sodas...go figure...im just wondering if its not all in your head our bad habits...5months later she still feels the same about smoking and diet soda...your sister has to be will to do it herself..no matter how much we tell someone to change diets or whatever the case may be, its only them that can change themselves...maybe if you do some research on fibro, aspertame, and well smoking we all know...let her read it on her own...sometimes it better and just be there for her when shes ready...

oh one more thing...one good thing that helps me tremendously is yoga...that is one of the best exercise you can do for your body..you dont need to be skinny as a bone to do yoga..you can be over 200lbs and still do yoga...its good for the mind and soul...maybe if you give her a beginner dvd on yoga

good luck and just be there for her...
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-08, 20:49

BF:

Thank you for your very good advice. she informed me today that she has cut down drastically and might consider the patch when she is feeling less depressed and anxious - great news!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-08, 23:43

Plan: Atkins before he died
Stats: 140/140/150 Male 6'
BF:
Progress:
Default Fibro tough

Ya, Fibro is really bad sometimes, and all you can do is try to cope.

When she feels up to it, looking into the various causes might lead her to a bit of help. Sometimes the cure is not pleasant either... one that that helped me was getting my root canaled teeth and the silver amalgams [mercury] filling teeth removed. Actually, I ended up getting all my teeth removed and I am in full dentures now - and glad I did it... no more dentists and no more pain,plus it really really helped the Fibro too.

I had trigeminal neuralgia, and when the teeth were removed, all that pain ended right away.

So did most of my migraines, and about 80% of my "fibro muscle pains".

No more calf cramps while standing in the grocery line, no more twitching calves in the mornings.

Those neck pains from turning my head suddenly, and then a terrible headache, went away. Neck pains and teeth are very much linked. Eye pains too.

Sorry, I ended up talking about myself, isn't that typical. Just trying to relate what helped me - I really hope your sis can find some answers.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-08, 14:33

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah_Scape
Ya, Fibro is really bad sometimes, and all you can do is try to cope.

When she feels up to it, looking into the various causes might lead her to a bit of help. Sometimes the cure is not pleasant either... one that that helped me was getting my root canaled teeth and the silver amalgams [mercury] filling teeth removed. Actually, I ended up getting all my teeth removed and I am in full dentures now - and glad I did it... no more dentists and no more pain,plus it really really helped the Fibro too.

I had trigeminal neuralgia, and when the teeth were removed, all that pain ended right away.

So did most of my migraines, and about 80% of my "fibro muscle pains".

No more calf cramps while standing in the grocery line, no more twitching calves in the mornings.

Those neck pains from turning my head suddenly, and then a terrible headache, went away. Neck pains and teeth are very much linked. Eye pains too.

Sorry, I ended up talking about myself, isn't that typical. Just trying to relate what helped me - I really hope your sis can find some answers.

This is really important; thank you so much. We are sisters, but I have strong perfect teeth and she has only a few rotted teeth left, and they are in very bad condition. She is terrified of the dentist and is extremely traumatised right now, but I might be able to get her to consider going into hospital to have these dealt with. Your post has given me some hope.