Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Quick Meals & Snacks
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 12:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 231/191/150 Female 5 6
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Philly Cheese Steak

I just had an awesome lunch. I sauteed chopped onions in butter, added 2 pcs of "Steak Ums" til brown, added cubed pepperjack cheese and covered until cheese melted. Great meal in under 5 minutes!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 12:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/165/130 Female 159 cm
BF:
Progress: 46%

Hi Verniebird,
It's probably a stupid question but how do you season your steak. The steaks I prepare don't taste so good .I just put salt and pepper on them.
Maybe if I use different spices they would taste better. Any suggestions?
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 13:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 231/191/150 Female 5 6
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Hi Sooike

The Philly Cheesesteak are made by "Steak-Ums" (which are frozen beef slices) and I did not season them at all for the recipe. Just a little salt and pepper on the onions. On regular steak, I usually dont use any seasonings. I will maybe use a butter & mushroom or bernaise sauce over the steak after it is cooked.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 13:37
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

If youse guys want real Philly cheese steaks, youse gotta reach for the Cheez Whiz instead of the pepperjack, LOL.

Sooike, you can try seasoning your meat with a little bit of oregano or other Italian spices in addition to the salt and pepper.

Also, there is a great idea of a marinade for red meats in Protein Power. The Eades suggest putting the meat in a ziplock bag with some red wine and olive oil to cover, and leaving it there (shaking the bag every now and then), refrigerated, for 24 hours. It makes the meat taste divine--we do it all the time.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 14:12
Doctor Dirt

Stats: 218.2/195.0/145 Female 5'9"
BF:43.6%/31.0%/22.0%
Progress: 32%

I was at a local flea market about a month ago and got the hungries. I looked and looked for something that I could have, but all that was available were high-carb junk foods. So I went to the cheesesteak vendor and asked him if he would make me a pile of cheesesteak without the roll. It was to DIE for!! I think it was a little salty because I retained water for a day afterwards, but it was a real treat just the same.

Jeannie
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 20:08
Registered Member

Stats: 307/252.5/239 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:????
Progress: 80%

Try Mrs. Dash...doesn't have salt and the ones I have here at home do not have sugars in them...but watch out for it! Lawrys seasoning salt does! good dieting!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 22:26

Stats: 280/235/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooike
It's probably a stupid question but how do you season your steak. The steaks I prepare don't taste so good .I just put salt and pepper on them. Maybe if I use different spices they would taste better. Any suggestions?

I have fallen in love with the seasoning Adobo. It's a staple in my kitchen now and sprinkled on everything from pork to steak. I even add it to my soups and sauces now, lol. YUM!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-07, 09:18

Stats: 182/180/118 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 3%

New to the forum, not new to low carbing. This is one of my favorite recipies since I miss regular cheesesteaks, but I mix in a bowl the cheesesteak, onions, lettuce , some hot peppers and mayo with a little bit of ketchup and it is delicious.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-08, 15:21

Plan: 25 carbs or less a day
Stats: 240.6/240/175 Male 70 inches
BF:Ohh Yeah
Progress: 1%

I posted something about this on my blog. below are the contents of it:
Here is what I used:
Philly Frozen steak - 0 Carbs and 5$ for 16 steaks
Onion, chopped
Provolone Slices (Walmart brand) 0 Carbs and $2.50 for 8 slices
Arby’s Horsey sauce packet - 3 Carbs and FREE!

Now I know there are some carbs in the cheese and the onions (I cook em' too) but it is worth it - you need some carbs anyway, right? So, I add some chopped onion to a pan with a couple of sprays of Olive Oil from my mister. Break 4 steaks into pieces and place them in the pan. grill them over med-high heat and wipe the extra grease from the pan with paper towel. Be sure to grill the steak so that the it is well done and a bit crispy. You can add some spices like Montreal Steak seasoning if you like (no sugar). From here there are several ways to go:
1. Add the provolone slices (2) to the pan and cover to melt the cheese over the steak. Eat the steak with a fork and dip into the horsey sauce.
2. Add the steak to the cheese slice (holding the slice like a taco shell) and add horsey sauce like the hot sauce at Taco Bell.
3. Add the steak to a leaf of lettuce, cover with cheese and add horsey sauce.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-08, 00:13

Plan: Lower Carb
Stats: 271.7/219.7/219 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

MMonden, you can make a horseradish dipping sauce at home out of horseradish, mayonnaise and maybe a bit of artificial sweetener if needed. It has next to no carbs in it that way. It might not be as convenient as the horsey sauce, but it may be worth a try.

I have to say, a philly cheese "taco" sounds good right about now.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-08, 10:11

Stats: 183/148/135 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 73%

Please don't use Adobo as it is made with MSG. Not very good for the brain or body. Not good for weight loss.

Please verify:
http://www.truthinlabeling.org/
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-08, 15:05

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlenes
Please don't use Adobo as it is made with MSG. Not very good for the brain or body. Not good for weight loss.

Please verify:
http://www.truthinlabeling.org/

Believe what you like, but did you realise msg is in very high amounts naturally in tomatoes and celery among other things? So you better avoid those things to...
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-08, 21:11

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 76
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA
Believe what you like, but did you realise msg is in very high amounts naturally in tomatoes and celery among other things? So you better avoid those things to...

Also naturally occurs in cooked meats and stocks.